Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2008, 01:49 PM

13,003 posts, read 1,019,780 times

Advertisements

Exercise...gets you out of the kitchen and away from the frig. Walk, run, lift weight (Light or Heavy), or ride a bike. But if nothing else just have fun...Good Luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 01:56 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,167,239 times
your state of mind for sure.....If you belive in your workouts and you maintain that state of mind.......that's almost as curcial as the actual workouts

Old 08-12-2008, 07:13 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,167,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maria 008 View Post
Simple substitutions are often the easiest way to cut calories. Drinking a diet soda instead of a regular soda every day will save you 15 or more pounds in a year. Eating a turkey sandwich with lettuce, tomato and mustard instead of a roast beef sandwich with mayonnaise just twice a week will save you another 15 pounds.
============================
maria

Utah Treatment Centers and Drug Rehabilitation Program | Treatment Centers
I agree with all but the diet soda recomendation It's sooo bad for you, worse than regular soda bcs of all the aspertame they use to make it tase "good".

Old 08-13-2008, 01:56 PM

1,229 posts, read 2,912,782 times
eat less,move more!

Old 08-13-2008, 11:59 PM

578 posts, read 2,529,921 times
Default Push away from the table

Quote:
Originally Posted by gym rat View Post
Exercise...gets you out of the kitchen and away from the frig. Walk, run, lift weight (Light or Heavy), or ride a bike. But if nothing else just have fun...Good Luck.
yes, and for those (like me) that are crippled, I do lots of upper extremity exercises. Like raising my arms, and cycling with my arms, all of that. ALSO: Push ups that are for the disabled (know how?) PUSH AWAY FROM THE DINNER TABLE

Old 08-14-2008, 12:02 AM

I never understood that one about the water equation. Because I was restricted to my liquids intake and lost 45 lbs. ....not recommended for everybody, but since WE HOLD WATER WEIGHT, and the FIRST WEIGHT THAT WE LOSE IS ALWAYS water weight. I did it, and still do it successfully to this day. I dont agree with all the latest fads. Remember when Ginseng was the cure-all? then came Aloe, then it was St. John's wort, then the next one was anti-oxidants, now green tea is in nail polish to make your nails grow, shampoo for balding, this n that! Its all bullSh*t. Just push away from the table, and exercise to burn off what you're putting in the stomach!

Old 08-14-2008, 01:00 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,276,203 times
I've been overweight/obese my entire life. Fat kid, fat teenager, fat adult. But I have finally (FINALLY) changed my lifestyle and learned to eat like a healthy person. I've lost 45 pounds in the past 5+ months and no longer wonder IF I'll ever be a healthy weight but only when I will reach my goal.

My #1 tip (which I had heard for years and years but never followed) is to keep a diary of every single calorie you put into your body. Write down everything you eat and drink, every day without fail. Many of us eat mindlessly and have no real concept of how much we are eating. By writing down everything you eat and figuring out exactly how many calories (and how much nutrition) each food provides you'll have a much better sense of what you're doing wrong.

There are many food information web sites online. I particularly like:

Calorie Counter Database - Free Online Diet Program
Nutrition facts, calories in food, labels, nutritional information and analysis – NutritionData.com

This is the first step (and really, really, really important).

The next step is figuring out what you SHOULD be eating. Don't read diet books. Diets are insane and grotesquely unhelpful. What most of us need to do is simply to learn how to eat like human beings. The food industry of the US has deviated so far from the human diet over the past decades that those of us born since WWII weren't really raised with a clear understanding of a true human diet.

There are a lot of books out there that are extremely helpful. Some of the ones that have been most beneficial to me are:

Ultimate Foods for Ultimate Health (Liz Pearson & Mairlyn Smith)

The Spectrum (Dean Ornish)

In Defense of Food (Michael Pollan)

Outsmarting the Female Fat Cell (Debra Waterhouse)

Arm yourself with information about what food is good for you and what food is bad for you then make changes to your diet to improve the health of your diet.

Also, exercise as much as you can and incorporate more activity into your every day life. Humans evolved to be active. It is unnatural for us to sit around all day. We need to walk a lot and do weight bearing exercise in order to be healthy.

Finally, don't drink your food -- regardless of whether it has calories. Drink water all day long. Have milk (either alone or with cereal) or an occasional glass of 100% fruit juice, but drink water 90% of the time. Learn to think of soda as liquid candy bars and consume them accordingly -- rarely. But don't switch to diet sodas -- they'll kill you just a surely as the regular ones will.

Basically, just learn to eat like a human being. In the words of Michael Pollan in "In Defense of Food": "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." If you follow that, you'll be much healthier.

Good luck

Old 08-15-2008, 08:27 PM

36 posts, read 149,429 times
Smoking, methamphetamines, or ephedrine work great. If you are looking for healthy tips, I would say just take it slow. One pound a week is 52 pounds in a year so don't get discouraged.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:15 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,868,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
Eat less, move more.
This sums it up. Use more calories that you take in.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:05 AM

The BBC channel has a good show with a mean=nutritionist that does that; she makes them bring in all of the foods/drinks that were consumed by the person for ONE WEEK, and spreads it on a table.
"You Are What You Eat" is the name of it, pretty good actually, her technique is that "British nanny" type of thing (scolding) but she is really good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss