Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 11:27 PM

20 posts, read 52,982 times

Advertisements

smoke 5 cartons a day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 02:27 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,529,716 times
1. Move more often (be active).

2. Drink water all day (at least 90-95% of the day).

3. Eat smaller portions (never go back for 2nd's).

4. Don't eat after 8pm (well, this works for me, that's for sure).

5. Get plenty of sleep (so you can be active and move around all day, the next day).

Old 03-27-2008, 09:55 AM

471 posts, read 1,508,392 times
Take your kid up on that offer to see who can make it to the top of the very big hill first...running of course.

Don't think about if you really want to do it or not... Just do it.

We laughed the whole way up.

There are opportunities to move pretty much around every corner...

Old 04-01-2008, 12:47 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
Default A few tips, things I have learned over time

The ideal size of your stomach is about the size of your fist. Plan this when eating meals and don't ever eat till you're full.

Drink plenty of water. I drink about 96 oz/day.

Don't go to bed full.

Exercise 3 times per week and remember that your body rebuilds itself during rest.

The first 30 minutes of exercise don't count as you body can tolerate this without changing. The attack on the internal fat stores happens after this. It's why I do at least an hour of exercise to force my body to change.

Replace a meal each day with a drink, such as tomato juice, veggie juice, fruit juice. Especially good if you make these yourself with a juicer using organic ingredients.

Your body talks to you and tells what it wants. When you haven't given it enough calories to maintain your current weight for the day, it will pump up the cravings at night for high-calorie foods. If it prevails, you will stay the way you are. If you prevail, you will force it to raid the unhealthy cells (fat), which is good. Losing weight is about this constant battle with yourself. it takes will power to go to bed when your body is screaming for ice cream or a slice of cake or cookies. Instead, have a cup of tea, think about the nice breakfast you're going to have when you wake up, then go to bed.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:18 AM

534 posts, read 1,594,429 times
I lost 150lbs by cutting back and exercising. I ate whatever I wanted, just not as much as I used to. I did cut back on fast food as well. My hubby and I still go out to eat probably twice a week(usually weekends). Once I learned to control my portions, eating out wasn't a problem. Leftovers are a good thing. If I pay 10 bucks for my meal and I can get 2 meals out of it, nothing wrong with that.

I never considered it a diet either. Just a change of habits. I didn't kill myself working out either. I did a few things here and there so not to have loose skin. I now do a 30 minute toning tape and my husband and I walk every night. I have maintained my weight for over 3 years now. I went from a size 30/32(yes you read that right) to a 6-8. I'm very happy with myself.

I didn't read any special "diet" plans. I don't believe in them(except WW, which I didn't do). I'm not going to make stuff I don't like and a lot of that food it expensive. I like what I like and I'm gonna eat it and no one is gonna tell me otherwise.

I don't believe in the don't eat after 7 stuff. I have learned that if you have the calories to give, you can eat at night. I'm not saying a whopper meal for a snack, but popcorn, pretzels, peanuts(this is stuff we have).

Losing weight is all in the mind. You have to have a positive attitude. The one negative thing I did was becoming obsessed with it. Once I let that go it was even easier to lose weight. You can accomplish anything with the right mindset.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:10 PM

461 posts, read 1,449,333 times
I lost 40 pounds on weight watchers. I think having the support of the other members and facing the scale every week really helps. Plus, after you've maintained your goal weight for 6 weeks it's free, so that's motivation. Also, I eat a salad or a bowl of steamed veggies and drink a glass of water before I eat dinner and that helps me control my portions. I think walking is very good exercise, but you have to walk fast enough to get your heart rate up. Good luck!

Old 04-02-2008, 09:49 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,056,807 times
I think the best message to take from all of this great advice is to keep on doing it - whatever you decide to do - and be prepared for the LONG-HAUL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UW Badgers View Post

Losing weight is all in the mind. You have to have a positive attitude. The one negative thing I did was becoming obsessed with it. Once I let that go it was even easier to lose weight. You can accomplish anything with the right mindset.
Don't be really hard on yourself - like starve yourself or half-kill yourself at the gym - and then give up.

Take it easy, but stick to it.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:23 AM

471 posts, read 1,508,392 times
I second that southdown, well said!

Old 04-08-2008, 12:24 PM

431 posts, read 2,125,367 times
I've always struggled with losing weight and recently i managed to shed 8 lbs in about 3 weeks making minor changes. #1 smaller portions--instead of a dinner plate, i use a salad plate so i automatically eat less. I am just as satisfied but mentally i don't feel like i have to eat everything that is on a gigantic plate. #2 less carbs, more salad. I love rice so i cut back drastically on the rice. #3 no eating after about 7pm so as to avoid going to bed on a full stomach. I haven't even added the exercise routine and i already started to lose weight. I want to lose 10lbs first and then as my body is getting used to my new routine, i'll surprise it with the exercise to keep the weight going down.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:58 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,900,448 times
Cut out the processed refined foods.

Even the ones you think are healthy or low fat- they still aren't good for you if they are processed with refined sugars, additives or refined flour!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss