Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 11:36 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,032,469 times

Advertisements

You mean tipS.

Drink lots of water. ELIMINATE ALL SODA. Watch alcohol intake. Watch sweets. I've become a dessert snob. I hate the sweets and candies in stores. I only eat the high end stuff--rarely. Because it's such high quality, I don't eat as much.

Exercise--do something physical. Forget the elevator if you're only going a few flights. You'll find you prefer the stairs. Walk. Learn to enjoy the outdoors. Walk through a park, along the river, around your neighborhood.

Dump television. I did two years ago. You'll find yourself more motivated doing things in the yard or around the house that need to be done. Or you'll end up reading, always a good alternative.

Eat better. During the summer I live on fruit and salads. I love it. Because I've changed my diet, the old fattening comfort foods totally gross me out now. And don't get me started on fast food. I'm sorry, but the purveyors of that bilge need to be beaten to death with a shovel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 11:40 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
kaiser semi fast diet, 3 cans of slim fast and a modest meal a day. lost 35 lbs on it and kept it off.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:32 AM

444 posts, read 1,211,567 times
Learn all about body chemistry and apply it to your own metabolism. I recommend not depriving yourself of your favorites, but time the consumption to where you can have the satasfaction you need, and burn it off earley in the day. Protein has to be countered with carbs and starch, so swaying to one, will throw your natural cycle off balence. I found that a regular routine of exercise in the mornings 3 times a week, makes you more active and energetic all the time. ( I need to get back to that, it's easy to say and less easy to do, but when you break through the dragonbottom attitude, you'll feel like a million bucks and you'll glow!!)

Old 04-10-2008, 01:29 PM

16 posts, read 96,210 times
Default Hooping!

Do an exercise that is Fun! Going to the gym and running on a treadmill get really boring, really fast.. so what happens.. you stop going.

I bought a one inch weighted exercise hoola hoop and it's so much fun, I forget I'm burning calories and getting toned! The size and sticky tape makes it really easy to use.

Moderator cut: no advertising It's really changed my life for the positive! Hooping is an easy thing to do at home.. even 5 mins a day makes a difference. But, once you start... you won't want to stop because it's fun.

My abs, butt, thighs, and arms are all stronger since starting to hoop. This is one exercise that works, because you want to do it everyday It's made a positive physical and mental impact in my life.

The myth that hoola hoops are for kids is just that... a myth! Get excited about exercise and have fun while you do it. You'd be surprised!! This is something for all ages, men and women! There is exercise hoola hoop (with 1" heavier hoops) and then there are smaller hoops (3/4" lighter hoops) for hoop dance. Moderator cut: no advertising However, I'm sticking to the heavier exercise hoop for now

Last edited by jeannie216; 04-11-2008 at 07:28 AM.. Reason: (added a title)

Old 04-11-2008, 07:28 AM

36 posts, read 196,680 times
That hoola hoop thing looks totally absurd and the idea that you could attain any noticeable results from 5 min./day work out is even more ridiculous. Do you work on commission?

Moderator cut: orphaned post

Last edited by jeannie216; 04-11-2008 at 04:11 PM..

Old 04-15-2008, 12:27 AM

185 posts, read 967,083 times
Play World of WarCraft. From 2005 to 2006 I played this online MMORPG pretty much non-stop for a year and I'd only eat when the pain became unbearable. I mostly drank water, ate a lot of waffles, cereal, and fast food. If I could have just hooked up to an IV drip I probably would have gone that route. I lost a solid 25 lbs of muscle and became a scrawny runt. Even my dog lost weight because I'd forget to feed her. I've been clean for two years and I'm still struggling to put the weight back on. Btw, I had a dream about WoW a couple nights ago. I was my playing the game in 3rd person in my dream. I'm not going back to the dark side and I want to gain my weight back (about 5 more lbs of muscle and I'll be content). I suppose playing WoW is on par with a heroin addiction, only it's cheaper and legal. One of these days MMORGPs will become so realistic and powerfully addictive that people will enjoy the game more than real life, because it will be very close to reality, but better! When that day comes the government will have to outlaw future MMORPGs to protect the citizens. Then underground gaming will evolve. Beware!

Good luck on the dieting.

Last edited by simcity; 04-15-2008 at 12:39 AM..

Old 05-20-2008, 09:39 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
Take calories you need eat in order to lose ,subtract 300 for snack calories,
divide remaining calories by 3 .
Eat 3 meals of x calories and have three 100 calorie
snacks with a fiber drink between meals and after dinner.

Example: I need to eat 1200 calories to lose,
so I eat 3 meals of 300 calories which leaves
300 for three 100 calorie snacks.
Then I made a list of 300 calorie meals
including things I can pick up when I am driving.
I also made a list of 100 calorie or less snacks
I like. I don't have to keep count because
every meal is 300 or less and all between meal snacks & evening snack is 100 or less.
There are many great tasting frozen entrees for 300
calories or less so I keep my freezer stocked with these.

Then I walk as often as possible.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:06 AM

7,538 posts, read 17,221,758 times
Drink a two liter (or more) of water daily. Cut out the soda or if you're seriously addicted, down to one small glass daily, then eventually cut it out, too.

Exercise 2-4 times per week, at whatever time feels best to you. I prefer a morning routine because it really wakes me up. Vary your exercises to target different areas of your body; I work my upper chest one day, legs another, etc.

Watch what you eat. Common sense is that unless you're amazingly super active if you eat a big mac every day you won't lose any weight. Lots of fresh fruits and veggies, swap your sandwich bread for a tortilla, eat smaller portions and eat 4-6 times a day, but stop eating at least 3 hours before you go to bed. Eat chicken or shrimp and chickpeas in your salad. You need protein to feel satisfied and full, and it'll taste better. Get the really good lettuce, you'll quickly stop eating salad if all you have is iceberg. If you get hungry at midnight, drink a big glass of water.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:59 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,864,223 times
Here's my best, and ONLY weight loss tip:

Stop eating junk food.

But first you need to redefine your definition of junk food. Damn near everything you enounter fits my definition of junk food. Think about this:

In the 1970's corn syrup in many forms, and high levels of food processing emerged. america's obesity rate doubled.

In the 1980's artificial sweeteners, no-fat and diet foods took off. The obesity rate doubled again.

In the 1990's franchise food, and much bigger portions of it, really took off. America's obesity rate doubled AGAIN.

You can't hardly find anything in the grocery store that's not tainted with some kind of corn syrup (this includes ketchup, cereal, bread, f'ing lunchmeat, every sauce on the shelf, soda, basically 9 out of 10 things you see on the shelf. Corn is not good for you and corn syrup is worse. Europe banned all US inports of foods containing modified corn products for years due to health risks before we finally muscled it back in I believe just last year. Oh, by the way, the vast majority of beef sold in this country comes from just 4 companies, who feed their cattle CORN (and hormones and antibiotics but that's another thread).

Also nearly everything's loaded with chemical preservatives. What is the purpose of preservatives? To keep food from breaking down. So what does your body need to do with food? Break it down. Interesting... We've got a health food store in town that keeps fast food out on an open shelf. It doesn't decompose, doesn't rot, doesn't get stinky. It just sits there.

In 1970 1 of 5 Americans were overweight. Today 3 of 4 are. And that was an estimate I read, shoot, must have been 7-8 years ago?

Cliffs Notes: America is obsessed with junk food. Everywhere you look, it's there, from national chain restaraunts seling heaps of highly processed, tasteless crap to the large national food providers like Kellogs selling food that could last through a nuclear winter.

This is why America is fat. Hope you change your habits and reach/maintain your goals.

p.s. print this out and keep it on your refridgerator. heck, make copies and write your grocery list on the back.

Last edited by yo vanilla; 05-24-2008 at 01:21 PM..

Old 05-30-2008, 11:17 AM

135 posts, read 412,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I have lost probably a good 15 pounds recently--without even trying. We moved from the city in CA to a rural area of NC. There are no fast food joints anywhere around us. In CA it was common for me to drive through one of the many fast food places there. The only reason I can think of for losing all this weight since I still eat just as much as I have always eaten is no fast foods!! I also had soda pop when I went to the fast food places and have now replaced soda pop for cranberry juice or water. That is the only thing I have done different and the pounds just fell off. I feel very healthy too!! I was not really over-weight to begin with but the weight I did lose seemed to be the extra "fat".
i'm moving from cali to a more rural area in NC in Sept....i hope i drop 15 pounds too. lol. i'd be at my goal weight. we are on the go alot here in california and seem grab all the wrong things out of convienence. sounds like your move was a healthy one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss