Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2019, 04:17 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post
Snow day (again) today. Sigh ... is it spring yet?
We got rain, a lot of rain. It might finally be done snowing!
I only gained a little more than a pound this weekend, so hopefully it'll be another good week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 04:46 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,016,445 times
18 hour fast yesterday. It was a snow day, and daylight savings, and a total meltdown day. But I did get on the treadmill, and I shoveled. Ugh.

The husband is SO good to me. Thank goodness. We put most of our world back together. Hopefully the snow is done now and things can get back to some sort of normal....

Old 03-11-2019, 08:22 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,940 times
People have been telling me I look too thin. So I've been eating lunch a couple of times a week. It's probably just that people are used to seeing me at 185, and I'm 172, so I'm pretty close to my 165 goal. Too many times I just don't feel like eating at all, nothing appeals to me and food actually makes me sick.

I have degenerative osteoarthritis and I have pain in my neck which has not yet dissipated.

Old 03-12-2019, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
People have been telling me I look too thin.
I'm working on having that problem.
People are starting to really notice now, especially if they they haven't seen me in awhile.

I'm sure if my Italian aunt (who lived to 99) saw me today, she'd say "You a too skinny, you a no yeet!"

Old 03-12-2019, 03:57 AM

There is a true point of too thin, just keep your BMI over 19 and then you do you!

20 hour fast yesterday. A much better day for me after Sunday's meltdown.

I've decided to embrace the meltdowns. I bought a bunch of healthier snacks to help me avoid them this past weekend, but returned it all yesterday. I really just enjoy a box of cereal and a bag of pretzels - so I am making sure that we keep both in stock!

Old 03-12-2019, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post
I really just enjoy a box of cereal and a bag of pretzels - so I am making sure that we keep both in stock!
Pretzels, chips and such don't really do anything for me.
But I keep some Cap'n Crunch around in case of low blood sugar. It works fast. If I'm having a free day I'll eat some.

Most people don't even realize that "healthy" Granola Raisin Bran cereal has way more sugar than Cap'n Crunch.

This is for 3/4 cup, which isn't that much...
Granola Raisin Bran = 41g net carbs
Cap'n Crunch = 22 net carbs

It's not even close.
That stuff is one of the worst things you can eat.

Old 03-12-2019, 09:43 AM

I'm pretty careful about not eating sugar. Seven years ago the medical records from my ovarian cancer surgery indicated I had a fatty liver. The doctor never mentioned it and apparently 40% of the U.S. population has this. It's non-alcoholic liver disease and serious, so no sugar or alcohol for me.

Old 03-12-2019, 09:55 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I'm pretty careful about not eating sugar. Seven years ago the medical records from my ovarian cancer surgery indicated I had a fatty liver. The doctor never mentioned it and apparently 40% of the U.S. population has this. It's non-alcoholic liver disease and serious, so no sugar or alcohol for me.
NAFLD comes over-consumption of refined carbohydrates. Doctors are in the dark for the most part. Things may be changing on this front it seems as more information get's out. Just think, that before the internet, we would ALL still be in the dark about a lot of things.

It's ironic though, that sugar and refined carbs can cause just as much or more damage than alcohol.

Sodas, cookies, candy, granola, cereal, chips, cheetos, fritos, the list is endless and people just gobble this stuff up.

Take a walk down some of the center aisles in the supermarket and try to find some items that are not loaded with junk. 99% of them are, especially in the chips and cookies aisle.

Old 03-12-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
NAFLD comes over-consumption of refined carbohydrates. Doctors are in the dark for the most part. Things may be changing on this front it seems as more information get's out. Just think, that before the internet, we would ALL still be in the dark about a lot of things.

It's ironic though, that sugar and refined carbs can cause just as much or more damage than alcohol.

Sodas, cookies, candy, granola, cereal, chips, cheetos, fritos, the list is endless and people just gobble this stuff up.

Take a walk down some of the center aisles in the supermarket and try to find some items that are not loaded with junk. 99% of them are, especially in the chips and cookies aisle.
Fritos are a problem, mainly because they're vegan. Oreos used to be listed as vegan, too. When I taught public school many years ago there was nothing in the lunchroom I could eat. They just fed the kids crap. It was sad. And then you wonder why obesity is epidemic, and a host of other issues. It's no big mystery.

Old 03-12-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Pretzels, chips and such don't really do anything for me.
But I keep some Cap'n Crunch around in case of low blood sugar. It works fast. If I'm having a free day I'll eat some.

Most people don't even realize that "healthy" Granola Raisin Bran cereal has way more sugar than Cap'n Crunch.

This is for 3/4 cup, which isn't that much...
Granola Raisin Bran = 41g net carbs
Cap'n Crunch = 22 net carbs

It's not even close.
That stuff is one of the worst things you can eat.
I'm actually not surprised about the Cap'n Crunch! The husband loves Raisin Bran, but they are without a doubt the highest sugar content cereal he gets. (I try to keep them under 10 grams of sugar per serving) So he generally only gets Raisin Bran every other month or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss