Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2010, 09:07 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times

Advertisements

Tigerlily & Hoosier~

Just be aware that the weight loss is due to the very low calorie diet, not the HCG, and not all the weight loss is fat. A significant portion was muscle. What do you do now? If you exercise, you will build muscle and perhaps gain weight. If you eat the way you did when you gained before, you will gain weight.

If you do not exercise, the muscle loss is permanent, and you have lowered your basal metabolic rate, so the amount of food that it takes to maintain your weight is lower, which makes it more likely you will eventually regain the lost fat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 07:19 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,948,991 times
Really, the saddest thing about the HCG diet, and what seems to be lost in the discussion and thought process of those who champion its causes are the lack of NUTRITION and lack of NOURISHMENT for your body.

Morbidly obese people tend to have tunnel vision and single mindedness of "lose weight, lose weight, lose weight, lose weight, lose weight.................etc." and dont seem to care about the ramifications or dangers of losing weight while on this HCG diet, its just "lose weight, lose weight, lose weight, lose weight.........". Its like someone jumping in their car and just driving full speed to their destination without obeying any traffic lights or rules of the road. Its like they are just "got to get there fast, got to get there, got to get there..........." only worrying about their destination instead of the road traveled to get there.

Taking HCG drops/shots while eating only 500 calories per day WILL PUT YOUR BODY IN A STATE OF MALNOURISHMENT which is not healthy or good for you. Your body requires a certain amount of CALORIES daily to function properly AND it needs proper NUTRITION. You get neither of these while on this diet. The bingeing of fatty foods and sugars at the beginning of this diet is NOT healthy for you at all either, but that is just another stupid part of this diet that I wont even get into.

I hear you HCG people saying things like "Oh I have so much more energy and better outlook on life while on this diet" and I say you are either LYING, starting to hallucinate from the starvation, or, most likely, since you are starving and malnourishing your body and seeing the numbers of the scale drop, you are just tricking your mind into (mistakenly) thinking that you have more energy. Like the musician who says he needs to do drugs to be more creative or the drunk driver who thinks he can drive better while drunk. Its all in your head.

Please do not do this diet. If you REALLY want to lose the weight, learn about proper nutrition and MOVE more. Do some exercise ANY exercise and keep at it. Dont think of yourself as a failure by saying "Oh Ive tried exercise" or "I just cant do it" or anything similar because this makes you either a quitter or a fat lazy a$$. HCG diet will ruin your body, make you lose muscle mass, extremely tax your internal system and most importantly WILL NOT MAKE YOU HEALTHY!!!

Old 09-27-2010, 05:02 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Default If Drew can do it, you can do it

Drew Carey loses 80 pounds on a low carb diet and exercise: Drew Carey lost 80 pounds on a low-carb diet because he was 'sick of being fat' - National Low-Carb Lifestyle | Examiner.com

Old 09-27-2010, 06:12 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,250,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Tigerlily & Hoosier~

Just be aware that the weight loss is due to the very low calorie diet, not the HCG, and not all the weight loss is fat. A significant portion was muscle. What do you do now? If you exercise, you will build muscle and perhaps gain weight. If you eat the way you did when you gained before, you will gain weight.

If you do not exercise, the muscle loss is permanent, and you have lowered your basal metabolic rate, so the amount of food that it takes to maintain your weight is lower, which makes it more likely you will eventually regain the lost fat.
I'm not disagreeing with anything you're saying but but I did work out 5X/week while on the diet.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:44 PM

13 posts, read 57,949 times
Hi everyone, its me again, back to bring you up to date on me and my son.

We did our fat load the weekend of Sept 18 and 19 and each gained 4 pounds. Monday the 20th was our first day on the dreaded VLCD. During the weekend of the 25/26th we cheated a little because we had family in for a visit and had a cookout and Sunday dinner. All things considered, we both feel fine. I had a headache for a few days but I blame that on not drinking as much coffee and cola, I miss caffeine! My son is doing super good, no ill effects at all.
After 11 days I have lost 11 pounds and my son is -15.8! So far, so good!

Old 10-01-2010, 08:55 AM

You can drink coffee! My doctor told me almond milk and Stevia were ok to replace cream and sugar. It's not great but you get used to it. Remember to drink plenty of water and I really hope you are doing this under a doctor's care.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:48 PM

13 posts, read 57,949 times
foma, yes and yes! I know I can drink coffee, I used to use lots of cream and sweetener but since I can only have a T of milk per day I just skip it and I haven't been drinking as much. And, yes, we are both under a doctors care.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:40 AM

Ahh, so you'd rather avoid it all together. That makes sense. Well, if you are ever tempted, ask your doc about my suggestion. Best to you and good luck!! (hardest thing I ever did but I feel great!)

Old 10-05-2010, 08:43 PM

1 posts, read 10,386 times
Hello everyone. I started an oral hcg regimen 25 days ago. My last day of drops will be on Oct 11. I consider myself a very fit person. Before the diet, I exercised very vigorously 5 days a week, I compete in road races (10K - half marathons) and sprint distance triathlons. I am not the least bit lazy. I also do not have a lot of weight to lose (but do a great job maintaining). I had been stuck at the same weight for 2 years despite regular and vigorous exercise and various diets. I eat reasonably healthy, but admit that I indulge a bit.

When I started the program, I weighed 157.5 lbs (I am 5'8". After the binge, I was 159.5. In 25 weeks, I have lost 12.5 lbs. My goal was to lose 15 - 20 lbs. I have tried many diets and nothing has worked - I have always cheated. I agree that this diet is not the healthiest, but it has worked for me when nothing else has. I know that I am probably losing weight because of the restricted calories alone, but I really do not think I would be able to stick with the restricted calories without the hcg (maybe it is a placebo effect), but I will say that the results have kept me on track. I have "cheated" a few times which has probably hampered my progress, but I have been able to get back on track. I have stopped exercising with the exception of walking, which has been very tough for me. I did have headaches for the first week, but that subsided. Otherwise I have felt great. I really haven't had any serious cravings - I was able to resist a very yummy cake at our staff luncheon meeting last week.

I am very happy with the results, and I am well aware that I will need to change my eating habits to maintain my weight. I have 9 more days until I move onto the next, less restrictive phase, which I am looking forward to. I have been hungry, but it hasn't been unbearable and somehow I have been able to stick with it - the worst time is before lunch and late in the afternoon. Herbal teas have been very helpful. I am looking forward to the next phase and I am looking forward to getting back to the gym. I agree that this diet is not for everyone, and the studies against it do have validity, but I will say that it has worked for me and I am extremely pleased with the results. I have lost fat in places that I have not been able re-shape with a regular diet and exercise.

Just wanted to give my 2 cents. I want to wish everyone good luck if they decide to start this program. the results are worth it, but the road is long and hard.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:39 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,948,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValleyGirl123 View Post
Before the diet, I exercised very vigorously 5 days a week, I compete in road races (10K - half marathons) and sprint distance triathlons. I am not the least bit lazy.
Sure you did.

LMAO. If you are going to create a new profile just to post something positive about this horrible horrible horrible horrible horrible diet, at least try to make it believable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss