Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 08:19 PM

5 posts, read 5,490 times

Advertisements

I am deffinitly going to be bringing him to the vet tomorrow. @katie1 when he snapped at me I didn't cause him any pain what so ever. I'm very very gentle with him. We were laying on the bed and he just kept shaking his head every couple minutes. Before he snapped all I did was touch the outside of his ear. I rub his ears and head all the time when he comes up and lays next to me with his head on my chest but He actually ended up having a tick crawling on the inside of his ear which I did get out. The other time he snapped I told him to lay down and he did and I asked if he wanted belly rubs and he rolled over and was laying there while I just lightly rubbed him down. I wasn't being rough or hurt him at all. It was very strange. And People aren't normally in his face. When I said people could take away his food or toys I shouldn't have said people. I should have said my fiancé and I. I think it is very important to be able to do that but It's on a very rare occasion. Same with the petting and kisses. When we kiss him we are on the same level and we will kiss his cheek if he kisses us. We have no children and live alone so he is our child. We also crate him during the day when we are both at work but I make sure to bring him for an hour walk before and after the crate. @twelvepaw yes I do allow him down time. I don't bother him if he goes and lays down. About the blanket pulling-I yelled at her for that. I told her of course he probably snapped because she was probably yanking the blanket out from under him and he got mad. That's why we brushed it off that time. We figured it was her fault which it probably was. As I said before he is my baby. I treat him very kindly and have a lot of respect for him. I understand he needs his space and consideration. Dogs are just like people. If someone was constantly in my face 24/7 I would bite them to. That is why I don't understand what is going on. When we go to the vet I do muzzle him more for his protection. I want him as safe as possible. This is very very strange behavior exspecially towards me. If you ask anyone who knows him they will tell you I am his everything. he has very bad separation anxiety from me that's why I only leave him long enough to go to work. Other than that he is with me and when I say that I mean in visual site because he doesn't let me out of his site. If I leave a room he gets up and follows. I don't think he is being mistreated due to him being in his crate or with me. I would kill someone if they ever hurt him. since all this happened I have been making sure not to have people over and that no one bothers him. Also if we go somewhere he is on a leash at all times. Thanks everyone for your input. I will deffinitly be bringing him to the vet and sorry about the long post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 08:32 PM

5 posts, read 5,490 times
@twelvestep most of the time no one is touching him when he snaps. He has snapped at my mother in law for leaning over me on the couch (she didn't lean over him though) and my fiancé for walking along the bed to the garbage and one time for my fiancé kissing me and it's not like he leaned over banks cause banks was at my feet. It's the strangest thing. It's seriously out of no where I don't know how else to explain it. I watch his body language all the time and can tell when he is uncomfortable or nervous and I know how he uses his ear and eyes to tell me things but he will be completely relaxed before he snaps. My house is very very calm. It's just me, my fiancé and banks. He goes where ever he wants and just chills. When he wants us he comes to us. @jumpindogs Now that you mention it I did see that his big tooth (the pointy ones on each side I wanna call it his k9 tooth) looked like it had a hole and his breath has been soooo smelly lately. Normally when his breath stinks he's in need of a bath but that didn't cure it. I even went as far as buying breath chews but it still stinks bad. Could a cavity or a chipped tooth cause him to snap like this? He has a habit of chewing on rocks that I constantly take away.

Old 10-22-2015, 10:10 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
Guessing YOU never had an Ear infection! Even a Light touch causes Pain! & Ear pain is as bad as a Tooth ache! Ear & Teeth are connected YES Take him to the Vet ASAP!

Old 10-23-2015, 07:16 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,988,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormyxoxo View Post
@jumpindogs Now that you mention it I did see that his big tooth (the pointy ones on each side I wanna call it his k9 tooth) looked like it had a hole and his breath has been soooo smelly lately. Normally when his breath stinks he's in need of a bath but that didn't cure it. I even went as far as buying breath chews but it still stinks bad. Could a cavity or a chipped tooth cause him to snap like this? He has a habit of chewing on rocks that I constantly take away.
Yes, bad breath can indicate an oral infection, gingivitis, or other issue that can certainly be causing him major discomfort. As could ear pain, foxtails, or any number of other things. Get him to a vet.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:28 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Stormy, first step is the vet to get ears, teeth, tonsils, and thyroid level checked.

It is painful for dogs to be kissed on the face because people tend to make a smacking noise when they kiss and a dog's hearing is very acute. Get your boyfriend to give you a loud smacking kiss right on top of your ear, and you will see what I mean. If you have to kiss the dog, be careful to not make any noise when you do it.

Get in touch with a behaviorist and have them analyze the dog.

If you don't find something that can be cured easily, then you must think about either keeping the dog muzzled or putting him down. The reason is that other people besides you are going to do what they do, no matter how many times you tell them how to approach the dog. Children on the street can suddenly rush at a dog, triggering biting. Dogs who can't be trusted around strangers can not be around strangers.

There is something wrong in the wiring of a dog's brain if he snaps or bites with very little provocation. Even the pain of an ear infection will not cause a well balanced dog to snap at people he knows, and your dog is snapping at family members who haven't even touched him. That doesn't speak well for his mental health.

Old 07-06-2017, 04:48 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferL View Post
Do you have any studies to back this up?

If you do a some research on the alpha roll you will find that the experts disagree with you.
Even the Monks of New Skete that made the alpha roll popular in their book, deleted the alpha roll from the book, saying they were sorry they ever advised it and just how dangerous it can be.

If you want to alpha roll your dog, that is up to you. But it is never recommended and quite dangerous to advice others to do it.
Nonsense. All training needs to be administered competently and appropriately. Alpha rolling has its place, and it is something that wolves and mother dogs use to enforce obedience. It certainly isn't at all violent. You can't enforce hierarchy with treats.

Old 07-06-2017, 06:07 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinNation11 View Post
Atinna33
This isnt a story, I just want other opinions about the topic because when i was younger, I would go visit my uncle who owned pitbulls. One of his dogs bit him and drew blood so he "put him down" and in his words, " if a dog bites its owner then that dog is no longer any good"

s
Your uncle is super ignorant.
A dog usually bites for a reason.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:41 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,590,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Nonsense. All training needs to be administered competently and appropriately. Alpha rolling has its place, and it is something that wolves and mother dogs use to enforce obedience. It certainly isn't at all violent. You can't enforce hierarchy with treats.
If you watch adult wolves one is not grabbing the other and forcing it to submit.One is submitting to the other and rolling under the other .It is a submissive posture...very different then some angry human forcing a dog into a submissive position.

I adopted year old dog that had aggression issues that I did not know about until I was backing out of the humane society after adopting him. Their vet came running out when she saw me walking out with him to make sure they told me about his issues which they had not.He did not like bring examined, groomed or having his collar grabbed in an attempt to move him.He would growl and snap.

In a few weeks time I had gotten him past any aggression and sorry but I did it with treats, no alpha rolls .Dash became a dog I trusted with anyone as he actually was quite a lover once I got him past his aggression issues.I do not think he ever even growled at a human again in the rest of his 11 yrs.

Old 07-07-2017, 05:07 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,988,264 times
What is with all these zombie threads getting resurrected. Unless someone has something pertinent or new information what is the point unless it is just someone stirring the pot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
This absolutely 100% wrong. Utter bunk. Every single authoritative training-related organization and reputable trainer has made position statements against so-called alpha rolling.

1) See Dashdog's response below
2) One of the ways you reinforce hierarchy is with food (and treats = food)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
If you watch adult wolves one is not grabbing the other and forcing it to submit.One is submitting to the other and rolling under the other .It is a submissive posture...very different then some angry human forcing a dog into a submissive position.

I adopted year old dog that had aggression issues that I did not know about until I was backing out of the humane society after adopting him. Their vet came running out when she saw me walking out with him to make sure they told me about his issues which they had not.He did not like bring examined, groomed or having his collar grabbed in an attempt to move him.He would growl and snap.

In a few weeks time I had gotten him past any aggression and sorry but I did it with treats, no alpha rolls .Dash became a dog I trusted with anyone as he actually was quite a lover once I got him past his aggression issues.I do not think he ever even growled at a human again in the rest of his 11 yrs.

Last edited by twelvepaw; 07-07-2017 at 05:30 AM..

Old 07-07-2017, 09:10 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
What is with all these zombie threads getting resurrected. Unless someone has something pertinent or new information what is the point unless it is just someone stirring the pot.
Agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs