Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 07:33 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,662,488 times

Advertisements

Here's where voters have got things mixed up....where age is a different deal than it is for a 'Pope'...or a King, etc. Being a POTUSA...is NOT like being a Pope...or a King, which is mostly a 'Figurehead' position. The big job of being a POTUSA is demanding beyond understanding. And it saps the energy of 45 year olds. Being in your mid to late 70's is therefore...a big question on the voters minds.

Last edited by quality guy; 09-01-2011 at 07:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 08:03 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Because you say it's important and some talk about it doesn't make it so. The importance is related to the agenda of the poster. People who want it to be an issue bring it up. Doesn't make it an important issue.
Policy is important the other stuff is a distraction that means little.
Now do you understand?
I will ask you again, either apologize for saying I said things i did not, like he has Graves desease and he is a kook or show me where I said this. That is all I am asking you to do? Other than that I am finished with this discussion. We deagree, we both have the right to do so, but neither of us has the right to accuse the other of saying things they did not say..

Nita

Old 09-01-2011, 08:29 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,478,115 times
This is a very interesting thread. I haven't seen conservatives argue like this in a while. Now, I know most of you would consider me to be a liberal but the one thing I do like about Ron Paul is that he truly believes that Americans would do the right things if left alone from government intrusion. He believes in the goodness of mankind and I think his political ideology reflects that. Having said that, i do think age will play a factor if he makes it to the general election. I would say stress if a motherF****er especially if you are in the position of President and you can't pass anything or get any sides to work with you, which most likely would happen if Ron Paul gets elected. You think you've seen political blockage now? HA! If Ron Paul actually sticks to his word once in power, the Republicans and Democrats would render him ineffective very quickly. That is unless large swathes of true Libertarians are elected to congress as well. I mean his one term, if he tried drastically reduce military bases abroad would be met with immediate blockage. Drastically changing or ending the main social programs would be met with immediate blockage. I mean I like some of his ideal of what the country should be like but it would take about a century of slow gradual changes to come close to that. That or a bloody revolution. eh.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:34 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,686,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You have not answered my questions: where did you get the information that doctors are claiming he is in better health than most people 1/2 his age. You know doctors have not said that. As for his not smoking or drinking, you don't know that either: I would assume he doesn't smoke...I have no idea about his drinking habits. As for how much he exercises, again, you don't know that for sure, even if he says it. I am really not doubting he is in better shape than some his age, I have never said he wasn't. I am simply saying you are being blinded by your own desire to prove a point and you are making statements that you want others to think are facts when they are simply your opinions. That is all I am trying to say. I am not trying to put him down, I have said, if he gets the nomination I will support him. And I will still say, his age is and certainly will be an issue to voters. These are the things supporters have to face up to. Not what you personally feel, but how the voters will feel and what other side is going to say. His age will be a huge issue. oh and BTW, 2007 was 4 years ago.

Nita

In the rare chance you can find anything about Ron Paul and his health on the internet and or his age clearly some people will make age as a reason not vote for someone. Those close to the CAMPAIGN and who run it have on Paul's websites discussed his health, exercise and lifestyle in random dicussions. Like when he would bike for a charity or a cause so this topics would be discussed and the quote from his doctor about being in better health them MOST people half his age. I do know that Ron Paul doesnt smoke and drink because he SAID so.
Defending a persons age to be the president of the united states is for those who have nothing else to discuss. We have had old presidents and young ones and each person elected did the job the best they could and I don't think AGE was the real factor as acting president. Besides we had presidents who were young and got killed and or presidents who died in office. Having a healthy grandfather type president who lived during the greatdepression isn't really a problem but I guess for some people they would rather vote in brittany spears because she is young. Nothing is new about this I suppose if someone is going to voting based on age and not issues and records then they are just a poor judgement voter. Like voting for race, age, sex, and how a person looks will some how give you a good president.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:52 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,320,618 times
Good luck to all of the Ron Paul supporters..."Beauty (or fill in the blank) is in the eye of the beholder!" We're all different...My "pick" and my "first choice" may not be someone else's "pick" and "first choice" and vica-versa...And this is ok. I don't want to argue over who is the "best choice." I think we're all pretty much "set in our ways" when it comes to our "favorites" and "top picks." Don't you?...And we all have our own reasons for supporting one candidate over another one...If our "favorite" doesn't get the nomination we'll have to "re-shuffle" and decide if we like the nominee (or not) and go from there.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:43 PM

37,953 posts, read 17,888,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
NO. Nothing to understand. Age does make some difference and means more than 'little.' Reagan...and McCain took 'heat' about the 'age' issue....and they were 4 or 5 years younger than Paul.
apples to oranges. If someone is 5 years younger than me age, same height and 100 pounds heavier are they healthier?
McCain nor Reagan were/are into fitness like Ron Paul is.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:46 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,025,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
If Ron Paul actually sticks to his word once in power, the Republicans and Democrats would render him ineffective very quickly. That is unless large swathes of true Libertarians are elected to congress as well. I mean his one term, if he tried drastically reduce military bases abroad would be met with immediate blockage. Drastically changing or ending the main social programs would be met with immediate blockage. I mean I like some of his ideal of what the country should be like but it would take about a century of slow gradual changes to come close to that. That or a bloody revolution. eh.
Well, we have to start somewhere. Rome was not
built in a day

Old 09-01-2011, 02:47 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,025,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
McCain nor Reagan were/are into fitness like Ron Paul is.
Nor, as alert.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:11 PM

37,953 posts, read 17,888,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I will ask you again, either apologize for saying I said things i did not, like he has Graves desease and he is a kook or show me where I said this. That is all I am asking you to do? Other than that I am finished with this discussion. We deagree, we both have the right to do so, but neither of us has the right to accuse the other of saying things they did not say..

Nita
Nita
When I grouped things together in my posts like race OR age OR diseases it was to make a point that none of those things matter. Because none of it is true in his case.
If he was an out of shape person with asthma and a heart condition then yes it would matter. He is heavily into fitness. I know this through his actions, what he has said and what others have said about him.
I don't say gee he's old so that's a problem. or I wonder if he's president will he pass out and blow chow in Japan? Its insulting to older people imo. What's the cutoff age? 66? 68? 76? any variables or is it just age?

In 1797 John Adams was 61 years old
The first 7 presidents were between ages 57 and 61
Old for back then considering in 1930 the life expectancy was 60 now its 79

Imo instead of looking for reasons to not vote for him over things that do not hold water, how about looking for things that do matter. That is why I always stress policy. The other stuff doesn't matter.

what drugs btw?

Old 09-01-2011, 03:13 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Nor, as alert.
Reagan was very alert until toward the end of his second term. What makes you say he wasn't? As for physical exercise: he was still chopping wood at 80 plus, and riding horses daily. He also did not smoke of drink. I just thought I would throw that into this discussion. As for McCain, I have no idea if he is sharp or not. I don't see any indication he is fading, but that doesn't mean anything either. Most of us do not really know the overall condition of the people we elect. I do know, personally about Reagan.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections