Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2011, 07:34 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,327,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Who cares what Bachmann wants? She's an irrelevant loser. Can't we talk about people and issues that actually matter?
You wish she were irrelevant, and she is certainly no loser. She is making a difference in our country, and in government.

And you?

The Department of "Education" serves no useful purpose. It has dumbed down education in this country to the point that public school kids these days can barely read and write.

Evidence of this can be found right here on this forum by reading the many nearly unintelligible posts that appear daily. Poorly constructed sentences, and lack of punctuation are only part of the problem. Most cannot even articulate a point of view (if they even have one).

Michelle Bachmann can think on her feet. She answers her critics on the fly with well thought out statements that get right to the heart of an issue, and people are taking notice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 07:36 AM

913 posts, read 873,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesofJackson View Post
Look, I agree for the most part. I don't like the public education system either...but I hate it because of the poor curricular standards enforced by both state and federal level depts. of edu...the "cartels"...the politicians who decided what is knowledge and what is not (as if knowledge can be voted in or out).

That being said, I think Americans should learn to live among one another rather than factionalizing either voluntarily or by state mandate. That's the best way to solve our problems and learn to understand one another.

knowledge is something you vote for everyday. how you spend your money determines what we learn in a free society. public school is the problem here because, at best, it insists on teaching us the irrelevant. at worse, it teaches us things which are just wrong, morally and factually!

Old 09-06-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
And states wouldn't do this? Haven't some conservative states attempted to add creationism to the curriculum?

which is more dangerous, a state govt which uses education to indoctrinate its kids or a federal one?

Old 09-06-2011, 07:45 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,486,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Regardless.... this is a STATE issue, not the government. It has a duty, this is not one of them.
In fact, schools and education aren't even mentioned in the constitution.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
I won't comment on Bachman, but as for eliminating the Dept. of Education, or any of the other federal agencies that seem to be on the hit list for so many GOP candidates... fine, but you HAVE to explain to me why and how it's not working, how ending it will IMPROVE things, and how the services previously overseen by said departments will function without them.

I don't think that's too much to ask.
i must explain how and why it's not working? why? surely the fact that it doesn't work is good enough? it's not like we haven't tried, several administrations from both sides of the aisle, and hundreds of billions of dollars later it's still a miserable failure which argues that it's underfunded and it doen't have enough power.

ending it will most definitely improve things. for a start, our approach to education is a relic of a bygone age. i'm watching the us open tennis as i write. i look at the huge advances which have been made in teaching people how to play a sport yet aside from a few tech additions we still educate our kids the way we did 100 years ago. like all bureacracies they are incredibly resistant to change. you only have to see how they come down on teachers who make changes to their teaching methods. if 50 different ways of doing something were tried we might make some progress. some states would follw the current dept of edu methodology, others might implement the japanese system. others might further devolve education to individual counties. the lower down the chain the powers are devolved to, the more accountable the institutions become to the user

Old 09-06-2011, 08:19 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,735,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesofJackson View Post
A long-time goal of the Republican Party -- going back to the Reagan administration. The Dept. of Edu enforces, albeit inconsistently, the now antiquated SCOTUS decision in the Brown cases.

Gutting the Dept. of Edu is massive resistance in microcosm or "states' rights." Again, to reiterate, conservatives have wanted to maintain segregated public education ever since May 17, 1954. This is why axing Edu is Bachmann's goal.
Actually that's the job of the Justice Department.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Billions and billions? Try using google before spouting off next time.

U.S. Department of Education Budget History
correction, TRILLIONS!

Old 09-06-2011, 08:20 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,821,925 times
Eliminating Public Education has been on the RWA's agenda for years. The idea is to create an even more ignorant population that will not be able to tell when it is being hoodwinked by the RW as well as to create an even larger and more docil labor force. Then there is the observation that a non religious based education system creates critics of the Theology imposed by the Rulers.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:21 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,735,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
What is the positive outcome of having a bloated bureaucracy like the Dept of Education?

How has it helped educate America's children?

Since you brought up race, how has the Dept of Education helped the black community?
Good point.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but it appears to be BILLIONS and BILLIONS.

i think he missed out the part where it stated 'in thousands'!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections