Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2011, 08:09 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,959,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
"Prove"? Science doesn't 'prove' anything. Things are shown to have some degree of probability or improbability. Then it's repeated over and over.

Go back to shcool.
What is the scientific method? Explain how that method verifies, validates, and replicates the position of Evolution?

Proven in "science" means its hypothesis has stood up to all tests and all divergence is properly explained. Since neither achieves such, then the issue of which is more valid over the other is simply opinion.

I hope you did not learn different in school otherwise you were shorted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
It's called the Flynn effect; learned about it in psychology although school is not the only reason why our IQ has gone up. It's believed that improved nutrition a long with more stimulating environments and schooling have had an effect on the increase.

As for there being more college grads: It has started to slow down but it has nevertheless increased since the 1950s and 60s

Educational attainment in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In 2005, the proportion of the population having finished high school and the percentage of those having earned Bachelor's degrees remained at an all-time high, while the growth in both categories has slowed down over the past two decades. The vast majority of the population, 85.2%, had finished high school and nearly a quarter, 22%, had earned a Bachelor's degree. The percentage of both college and high school graduates continued to increase since 2000. Since 1983 the percentage of people graduating from high school has increased from 85% to 88%. The greatest increases in educational attainment were documented in the 1950s, 60s and 70s. In the 1950s and much of the 1960s high school graduates constituted about 50% of those considered adults (25 and above). For young adults aged between 25 and 29, the percentage of high school graduates was roughly 50% in 1950 versus 90% today

Your citation does not support your original premise which was that IQ's have gone up. Your citation claims that educational accomplishment has gone up. More people with degrees does not equate to more intelligent people.

Did you simply mean to state that more people have obtained higher education? If so, I can't argue with that, but the issue here is not how many people have been churned through the system, but the level of knowledge and understanding those who have been churned through it.

The issue is education and its failing and if you are to state education is increasing, then you must also account for the level of education required per such. Your evidence does not account for any such criteria or comparison.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Because science class is not where debates on the beliefs of the world's religions should take place.
So why is evolution purposed as a standing in science when it is based on a correlative belief that can not be verified, validated, and replicated according to its position?

Old 09-05-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
Yes, in a philosophy setting. It is a great question and debate that I think about often myself.

However, the scientific setting deals with theories that adhere to the scientific method. Unfortunately, human religious belief systems don't and can't be tested, so they don't belong in the science curriculum in my opinion.
Does evolution adhere to the scientific method? There is the real catch.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:31 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,347,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Too bad this thread got hijacked. I was so hoping to hear how the Dept of Ed was beneficial.

I can't think of a single reason to have it. Let the states take it.

Well I did ask in another thread: do you allow each state to prescribe their own curriculum and how does this impact higher education?

What if state A only requires basic algebra to graduate by state b requires Calculus? Do we do away with standardized tests for college entry as well?

I'm not educated enough on all the bureaucracy involved with the Dept of Ed or exactly how these things were handled before its inception.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Does evolution adhere to the scientific method? There is the real catch.

According to the scientific community, yes I believe that is the widely held opinion.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Well I did ask in another thread: do you allow each state to prescribe their own curriculum and how does this impact higher education?

What if state A only requires basic algebra to graduate by state b requires Calculus? Do we do away with standardized tests for college entry as well?

I'm not educated enough on all the bureaucracy involved with the Dept of Ed or exactly how these things were handled before its inception.
That is all dependent on the level of graduation they are assessing.

If a state requires less than that is needed for a specific field of study, you will find that few will accept that degree in that field. That is, if a field requires a basic understanding of calculus do to the requirements of the field, do you honestly think they will accept a graduate of such? All of this is considered when you apply for a position in such a field and if that state is willing to accept such and those that higher within also accept such, then... well... what is your complaint?

Old 09-05-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
According to the scientific community, yes I believe that is the widely held opinion.

The scientific community is not a requirement in the scientific method. That is called consensus and it has no place or relevance in that method.

I asked you not of opinion, but of a factual representation.

Again, does evolution adhere to the scientific method?

Go on, please explain how it does.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
That is all dependent on the level of graduation they are assessing.

If a state requires less than that is needed for a specific field of study, you will find that few will accept that degree in that field. That is, if a field requires a basic understanding of calculus do to the requirements of the field, do you honestly think they will accept a graduate of such? All of this is considered when you apply for a position in such a field and if that state is willing to accept such and those that higher within also accept such, then... well... what is your complaint?

I have no complaint. I guess my question is many people are educated at one level (ie high school) in one state and another level (ie college) in a different state. How do you (or do you even?) ensure that all students at one level are on the same playing field when it comes to education on another level?

Old 09-05-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
The scientific community is not a requirement in the scientific method. That is called consensus and it has no place or relevance in that method.

I asked you not of opinion, but of a factual representation.

Again, does evolution adhere to the scientific method?

Go on, please explain how it does.
Wow you are very hostile.

I'm not a scientist but here is a source I found that details evolution as a scientific theory. You can go ahead and debunk that if you like:

The Status of Evolution as a Scientific Theory: Newman, Robert C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections