Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2011, 07:35 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,066,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
While evolution, geology, astronomy, etc can't explain everything they at least have evidence to back up their claims while the same cannot be said about religion (and this is coming from a Catholic).
There is just as much evidence of creationism as there is for us having been created by luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 07:38 PM

10,835 posts, read 14,946,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Bachmann: Why is there a Department of Education? – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

....... (deep silence) ............

Any opinions on cutting the Dept. of Education?
Dump that turkey!

Old 09-05-2011, 07:38 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,234,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
The basis of Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism and Hinduism is the creation of everything by God or a creator.

Why deprive our children of the debate?
Because science class is not where debates on the beliefs of the world's religions should take place.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:39 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,606,169 times
Quote:
There is just as much evidence of creationism as there is for us having been created by luck.
Where is the so called evidence? Perhaps this should be moved to private messages as we're deviating a bit from the original topic.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:39 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,348,129 times
Quote:

I don't know about high school curriculum today, but when I was in high school ten years ago, I don't recall being taught any theories in regards to how life came to be in my biology classes. We were taught evolution of course, but that is not equivalent to creationism.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Because science class is not where debates on the beliefs of the world's religions should take place.
So, you're saying that a teachers word should be taken as gospel?

Even though there is no discernible proof of where we came from?

Now, there is some evidence of evolution, but when it comes to where we actually came from, there is no evidence one way or another.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
I don't know about high school curriculum today, but when I was in high school ten years ago, I don't recall being taught any theories in regards to how life came to be in my biology classes. We were taught evolution of course, but that is not equivalent to creationism.
Don't you think we should discuss where we came from?

I think about the origin of life often.

It should be discussed in a true education system.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:49 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,606,169 times
Quote:

But without any evidence for creationism it does not belong in science classes. I wouldn't have an issue if it was taught in a philosophy or religion course as the other member suggested, but not in science.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:52 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,348,129 times
Quote:

Yes, in a philosophy setting. It is a great question and debate that I think about often myself.

However, the scientific setting deals with theories that adhere to the scientific method. Unfortunately, human religious belief systems don't and can't be tested, so they don't belong in the science curriculum in my opinion.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:04 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,870,167 times
Too bad this thread got hijacked. I was so hoping to hear how the Dept of Ed was beneficial.

I can't think of a single reason to have it. Let the states take it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections