Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2011, 09:29 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,941,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
I don't have problems with the assessment aspect (well some, as it is highly political), but the mandate portion of the system. Remove that portion and we have no problems.
Can you elaborate on that, please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 09:30 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,959,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
Can you elaborate on that please.
Well, them evaluating aspects of learning, what they suggest to be important, evaluating performance, etc... is fine. That is passive and has no dictation on anything.

It is the mandate portion to which they define what must be taught, how it must be taught, etc... that is the infringement on the states.

Though, this could all be handled by the states anyway. /shrug

Old 09-05-2011, 09:33 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,347,918 times
Quote:
Hostile? How so?

You provided an appeal to authority to which is not a part of the scientific method as evidence to your claim, I corrected you... If that is hostile, then.. ok... I am hostile. /boggle

And where in your link according to the scientific method do they establish their position as valid?

No, I am not going to challenge your "links", you must take a part in this discussion. If you are not capable, then don't make claims you can not properly support.

What claims did I make? I stated from my understanding the scientific community as a whole supported the idea that evolutionary biology conforms to the scientific method.

I already stated that I'm not a scientist by profession and won't pretend to understand evolutionary biology or scientific method at anything but a rudimentary level. Maybe you have the qualifications to speak on the subject?

With that said, just b/c jbird82 can't explain evolution and it's conformity to the scientific method doesn't mean evolution isn't supported by the scientific method.

Your argument is one giant fallacy.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:40 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,347,918 times
Quote:
The market establishes such as I said. It is as simple as that. Each state will want to compete and no state will want its requirements to be behind that of another. The Feds can "promote" standards of compliance which states can "choose" to adhere to, but that is as far as the Feds involvement should be.

Fair enough, I can buy this opinion.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:02 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,800,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
That's why George Wallace, democrat, literally stood in a schoolhouse door to deny entry to blacks. And the Ed dept was created under Carter -long after desegregation was a fact of life.

Failed attempt at propaganda here, nothing to see.

Remember folks: It has to be racism. If it wasn't, they'd have to debate us on the merits.
Are you purporting that segregation in education does not exist even today?

Old 09-05-2011, 10:05 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,800,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
What is the positive outcome of having a bloated bureaucracy like the Dept of Education?

How has it helped educate America's children?

Since you brought up race, how has the Dept of Education helped the black community?
It hasn't. As I stated in another post, the Dept of Edu is a cartel that reinforces the educational establishment.

At the same time, however, state level depts of edu haven't done anything to help anyone either.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:10 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,250,331 times
Michele bachmann becomes more irrelevant with each passing day.

She isn't going to 'lock the doors and turn out the lights on EPA, and she isn't going to shut down the Dept. of Education. She will be lucky to keep her dignity when she returns to MN with her gay husband.

Her campaign strategist has already bailed. She is sinking ship and nuttier than pecan tree. She's a freak.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:14 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,211,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Dept of Education ... other's argue they are all about social indoctrination,
Yes, and the societal goal: Godless and amoral.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:22 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,762,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Bachmann: Why is there a Department of Education? – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

....... (deep silence) ............

Any opinions on cutting the Dept. of Education?
I am all for cutting the damn department. It has done nothing except make things worse and has the education of all children in this country.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:27 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,025,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Bachmann: Why is there a Department of Education? – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

....... (deep silence) ............

Any opinions on cutting the Dept. of Education?
Bachmann shouldn't try to cut in line - it's impolite

GOP's wanted to cut the DOE since Reagan, but it just
keeps getting bigger and bigger and bigger....

Oh Michelle - it's already been said...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections