Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2011, 10:30 PM

27,163 posts, read 15,341,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
If I'm not mistaken there are more people today with college degrees and people's IQs have also gone up since the last 60 years, so it has done some good. It's not exactly a complete waste like so many people argue, but it does appear to have problems and perhaps a reform would not hurt.

Last 60 years = 2011 - 60= 1951.
Years since inception of the U.S. Dept. of Education = 2011-1979=33.

Looks like we really didn't need it after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 10:33 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,941,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Well, them evaluating aspects of learning, what they suggest to be important, evaluating performance, etc... is fine. That is passive and has no dictation on anything.

It is the mandate portion to which they define what must be taught, how it must be taught, etc... that is the infringement on the states.

Though, this could all be handled by the states anyway. /shrug
What mandates are you talking about, again? The DoE is pretty weak on mandating curricula, as I said in my post, unless you're referring to the things I complained about, NCLB and RttT, in which case I agree with you.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:36 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,606,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Does evolution adhere to the scientific method? There is the real catch.
While we cannot observe evolution at a large scale with most animals (only gradual variations from a few several generations) since it takes thousands or even millions of years, we have observed viruses and bacteria evolving. Other things that have lead to the theory involve fossil records and genetic research. I'm surprised you haven't researched this yourself most people who are against evolution try to look up some of the research on google in order to get an idea of what it's about in an attempt to debunk it.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:01 AM

37,151 posts, read 42,250,817 times
I'd like to see it cut to the bone, not eliminated. I honestly do think there needs to be some federal level standards and don't buy into the whole "states rights" thing on every issue.

Federal agencies should mostly run lean.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:13 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,469,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'd like to see it cut to the bone, not eliminated. I honestly do think there needs to be some federal level standards and don't buy into the whole "states rights" thing on every issue.

Federal agencies should mostly run lean.
Every issue not specifically granted to the federal government by the US Constitution, or those issues that document does not specifically prohibit from the States, is the province of the States and/or the people.

It was the intent to vest all power within each State, and limit the federal government to only those powers it needed. When the States ratified the US Constitution they ceded certain powers to the federal government, but the States did not grant the federal government the authority to take powers not already granted to them by the US Constitution.

Therefore, if you really think the federal government should involve themselves in education, Article V of the US Constitution provides a means by which the document may be amended. If, and only if, three-fourths of the States ratify such an amendment will the federal government have the authority to meddle in what should currently be an exclusive State issue.

The more power the federal government is allowed to usurp from the States, the more oppressive it becomes. This is why the US Constitution was written in the first place, specifically to limit that federal power.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:15 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,066,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
But without any evidence for creationism it does not belong in science classes. I wouldn't have an issue if it was taught in a philosophy or religion course as the other member suggested, but not in science.
That's fair.

But I reiterate, there is no evidence of our origin from science, either.

I need to say this....science and God do not cancel each other out.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
Sort of like the school district in Bachmann's district that has a policy that no school employee can reach out to a child being bullied for being gay or being perceived as gay? No counselor, no teacher, no janitor, no administrator.

NINE children have commit suicide in that one school district that is located in Bachmann's distric for being bullied over being gay or perceived as gay.

The ***** can burn in hell.
Congresspeople make laws for local school districts?

I did not know that.

That's sort of like saying that the murder rate in maxine waters district is twice the national average, so it must be her fault.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
The GOP seem to loath education and science.
BINGO...we have a winner folks!

Why do you feel so?

Because we conservatives are against wasteful government bureaucracies?

We've asked over and over and over again in this thread why the Dept of Education is needed, what good results have they produced.

We cannot get an answer.

But WE'RE against education.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
Michele bachmann becomes more irrelevant with each passing day.

She isn't going to 'lock the doors and turn out the lights on EPA, and she isn't going to shut down the Dept. of Education. She will be lucky to keep her dignity when she returns to MN with her gay husband.

Her campaign strategist has already bailed. She is sinking ship and nuttier than pecan tree. She's a freak.
When all else fails, use personal attacks.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:03 AM

913 posts, read 873,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Bachmann: Why is there a Department of Education? – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

....... (deep silence) ............

Any opinions on cutting the Dept. of Education?
you obviously believe that the dept of education works or can work so whatever anyone says to you to the contrary is a waste of their time.

i just want to know, how much more do you think should be spent on education? i've heard figures between $5000 and $20000 is spent per student at the county,state and federal level. perhaps we should spend $50k per student? how would you pay for all this? tax the rich more? borrow more like we've been doing to finance our overspending?

what specifically would you try to make the dept of edu work? it is after all fantastic if we get it right because it will benefit all the kids in this country. whast worries me with federal depts is when they get it wrong, they end up messing up all the kids in the country.

bachmann is a status quo neocon idiot, of that there can be little doubt, but perhaps she might be concerned with that last point i made. maybe if each state had their own dept of education, and they got it wrong, it would only affect kids in that state. when they got things right some states might learn from it. perhaps it might be easier to innovate and try different things the state level. some states might even further delegate education down to the counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections