Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2011, 08:56 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,701,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I would need to know what exactly does the Dept of Ed do exactly before I could intelligently respond.
To be honest, I don't fully know what the Dept. of Education does and how effective they are. Jerry Brown did something similar when he assumed governorship of California last January by eliminating the education office for the state.

Gov. Jerry Brown to eliminate education post - SFGate

As much as I dislike Bachmann, I have to admit that she probably makes sense on this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 08:59 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,701,277 times
I've been skimming through the posts in this thread and I'm not sure how we arrived from cutting the Dept. of Education to evolution theory...

To cut the Dept. of Education doesn't necessarily mean our public education will suffer. It probably means giving control back to the local schools for improved effectiveness. Shrugs.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:01 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,250,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
There is just as much evidence of creationism as there is for us having been created by luck.
o

Don't just sputter, show your evidence.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:03 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,250,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
I've been skimming through the posts in this thread and I'm not sure how we arrived from cutting the Dept. of Education to evolution theory...

To cut the Dept. of Education doesn't necessarily mean our public education will suffer. It probably means giving control back to the local schools for improved effectiveness. Shrugs.
Sort of like the school district in Bachmann's district that has a policy that no school employee can reach out to a child being bullied for being gay or being perceived as gay? No counselor, no teacher, no janitor, no administrator.

NINE children have commit suicide in that one school district that is located in Bachmann's distric for being bullied over being gay or perceived as gay.

The ***** can burn in hell.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:22 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,960,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
I have no complaint. I guess my question is many people are educated at one level (ie high school) in one state and another level (ie college) in a different state. How do you (or do you even?) ensure that all students at one level are on the same playing field when it comes to education on another level?
The market establishes such as I said. It is as simple as that. Each state will want to compete and no state will want its requirements to be behind that of another. The Feds can "promote" standards of compliance which states can "choose" to adhere to, but that is as far as the Feds involvement should be.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:24 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,475,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Bachmann: Why is there a Department of Education? – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

....... (deep silence) ............

Any opinions on cutting the Dept. of Education?
The GOP seem to loath education and science.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
Wow you are very hostile.

I'm not a scientist but here is a source I found that details evolution as a scientific theory. You can go ahead and debunk that if you like:

The Status of Evolution as a Scientific Theory: Newman, Robert C.
Hostile? How so?

You provided an appeal to authority to which is not a part of the scientific method as evidence to your claim, I corrected you... If that is hostile, then.. ok... I am hostile. /boggle

And where in your link according to the scientific method do they establish their position as valid?

No, I am not going to challenge your "links", you must take a part in this discussion. If you are not capable, then don't make claims you can not properly support.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:25 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,941,355 times
It's vaguely ironic to me that opponents of the Department of Education usually have not taken the time to educate themselves on its various functions. A lot of the assessments and data compiling they do are extremely useful for teachers and policymakers, and it is crucial for an organization to oversee things like federal student aid.

They also fund programs and research for special education, English language acquisition, adult education, and many other aspects of education. Eliminate the department, and these programs either cease to exist or the states are forced to pick up the tab.

The Department of Education's big "name" programs, No Child Left Behind and Race to the Top, have been failures, in my opinion, and these are the real initiatives that influence a school's autonomy. They need to step back their role in determining educational standards. However, if you want to convince me that the department should be eliminated outright, you need to come with a stronger argument than I've seen thus far.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
The GOP seem to loath education and science.
Nope, just stupid liberals who act like they know what such is. /shrug

Old 09-05-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
It's vaguely ironic to me that opponents of the Department of Education usually have not taken the time to educate themselves on its various functions. A lot of the assessments and data compiling they do are extremely useful for teachers and policymakers, and it is crucial for an organization to oversee things like federal student aid.

They also fund programs and research for special education, English language acquisition, adult education, and many other aspects of education. Eliminate the department, and these programs either cease to exist or the states are forced to pick up the tab.

The Department of Education's big "name" programs, No Child Left Behind and Race to the Top, have been failures, in my opinion, and these are the real initiatives that influence a school's autonomy. They need to step back their role in determining educational standards. However, if you want to convince me that the department should be eliminated outright, you need to come with a stronger argument than I've seen thus far.
I don't have problems with the assessment aspect (well some, as it is highly political), but the mandate portion of the system. Remove that portion and we have no problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections