Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2011, 05:52 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,869,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Bachmann: Why is there a Department of Education? – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

....... (deep silence) ............

Any opinions on cutting the Dept. of Education?
The only thing I came come up with is, Bachmann wants to ax anything she doesn't understand. Come to think of it, she doesn't understand much of anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 06:15 AM

913 posts, read 873,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesofJackson View Post
I'm not saying that only republicans are behind it, but education has re-segregated (actually never de-segregated in some places) in many parts of the country. It has little to do with republicans/democrats dichotomy. With that said, it's usually conservatives who favor limited access to decent education...and as I've said on this thread...it's generally conservatives who opposed the Brown decisions because they prefer segregated public education. In the South, conservatives are on both sides of the aisle, and actually, in the era of Brown, it was conservative Democrats who mostly opposed the Brown decisions with oftentimes violent results.

All kinds of factors played into why many states never desegregated, most of which had to do with residential segregation. I believe North Carolina and South Carolina had the most devious plans to maintain segregation from the 1950s to the 1970s in that, instead of closing schools as resisters did in Virginia, state-level Democrats in NC and SC kept all-black schools open in certain neighborhoods and erected new schools in white neighborhoods. Segregation was the result because students attended the school located in their school district. This resulted in a collection of cases that the SCOTUS ruled in the early 1970s--this led to busing to bring about desegragation. Again, conservatives, Republicans, Democrats, anarchists coalesced to violently (in some cases) oppose busing.

Other states had different plans. In Mississippi, no schools desegregated (had only token integration) until the Nixon administration, through the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals, mandated mass integration (which happened right before the 1970 school year began. Whites quickly fled their schools for hastily built, makeshift private schools called "segregation academies."

But that's all beside the point. Dept. of Edu was separated from HEW in the 1970s to advise the president on compliance with the Brown (and subsequent) court decisions attempting to make integration in education happen. This was applied haphazardly and entire states and districts were ignored because the mostly conservative Democrat South was balking on integration (sometimes with violent results).

States already have their state-level department of educations. Texas's is notorious for constructing a top-down curricular standards that most Texas school districts oppose because these standards are steeped in ideological views like abstinence only sex ed and history lessons in which women, Indians, and blacks are marginalized. Then there's the scientific creationism issue, which most educators oppose, but state-level depts. of edu are run by politicians who decide what knowledge is and is not.

Scrap the federal dept. of edu. Maybe then the schools of edu would fold, but that's not going to happen with 51 little cartels, each determining in their own respective states what is knowledge and what is not. Schools of edu, which poorly train teachers, will continue to churn out morons while conservatives will send Suzy to fancy pants private schools so they won't bring Tyrone home as their prom date.

you need to get over the reality that some people won't like you for the color of your skin, your religion, your social status, your height, the size of your breasts and/or private parts. people discriminate, and in a free society, it should be their right to do so. paradoxically, that is what will improve race relations (though they will never be perfect).

i'm sure by my posts you might have gathered that i'm not a fan of public education. i don't think the state has a right to take money from you to pay for my kids to learn. that is the extreme libertarian position and it will never again be a reality in america. delving education out the states presents the only opportunity people like me see, to forward our agenda and to experiment with the ideas of libertarian minded educators such as john gatto, ivan illich, john holt, maria montessori, rudolf steiner and more recently by james tooley. you might think that the break up of the federal monopoly will result in state cartels, but i can assure you that a few states might buck that trend. from then on it will be results based.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:17 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,865,470 times
Quote:
States already have their state-level department of educations. Texas's is notorious for constructing a top-down curricular standards that most Texas school districts oppose because these standards are steeped in ideological views like abstinence only sex ed and history lessons in which women, Indians, and blacks are marginalized. Then there's the scientific creationism issue, which most educators oppose, but state-level depts. of edu are run by politicians who decide what knowledge is and is not.
Do you not see the irony in what you're saying?

Old 09-06-2011, 06:39 AM

Quote:
All kinds of factors played into why many states never desegregated, most of which had to do with residential segregation. I believe North Carolina and South Carolina had the most devious plans to maintain segregation from the 1950s to the 1970s in that, instead of closing schools as resisters did in Virginia, state-level Democrats in NC and SC kept all-black schools open in certain neighborhoods and erected new schools in white neighborhoods. Segregation was the result because students attended the school located in their school district. This resulted in a collection of cases that the SCOTUS ruled in the early 1970s--this led to busing to bring about desegragation. Again, conservatives, Republicans, Democrats, anarchists coalesced to violently (in some cases) oppose busing.

Other states had different plans. In Mississippi, no schools desegregated (had only token integration) until the Nixon administration, through the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals, mandated mass integration (which happened right before the 1970 school year began. Whites quickly fled their schools for hastily built, makeshift private schools called "segregation academies."

they replaced the evil of forced segregation with the evil of forced integration. this is precisely why i don't agree with public schooling. all sides believe they are being unfairly treated and all sides are being treated unfairly!

Old 09-06-2011, 06:42 AM

30,078 posts, read 18,689,772 times
Quote:
Bachmann: Why is there a Department of Education? – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Good. It should be eliminated.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:46 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,800,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammbriggs View Post
you need to get over the reality that some people won't like you for the color of your skin, your religion, your social status, your height, the size of your breasts and/or private parts. people discriminate, and in a free society, it should be their right to do so. paradoxically, that is what will improve race relations (though they will never be perfect).

i'm sure by my posts you might have gathered that i'm not a fan of public education. i don't think the state has a right to take money from you to pay for my kids to learn. that is the extreme libertarian position and it will never again be a reality in america. delving education out the states presents the only opportunity people like me see, to forward our agenda and to experiment with the ideas of libertarian minded educators such as john gatto, ivan illich, john holt, maria montessori, rudolf steiner and more recently by james tooley. you might think that the break up of the federal monopoly will result in state cartels, but i can assure you that a few states might buck that trend. from then on it will be results based.
Well I guess it depends on what type of society you want to live in -- one that is multicultural and there are equal opportunities as guaranteed through the social contract (and U.S. Constitution, as well as many state constitutions), or you want to live only among your kind.

The reason I have trouble with institutionalized discrimination is because the U.S. Constitution guarantees otherwise. If Americans don't like these guarantees of equal opportunity and equality before the law, then the Constitution should be amended to say that certain privileged people have the right...the constitutional right...to discriminate against people however they deem fit.

The way you use the term "discrimination" is on a personal level and it's entirely agreeable. Yet when you factor in a governmental apparatus designed to provide equal access, then "discrimination" takes on a whole host of other implications.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:52 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,327,657 times
Quote:

Michele Bachmann isn't the only politician, or citizen, who would like to get rid of the Dept. of "Education". It should be renamed the "Department of Indoctrination"

Education in America has been declining for many years under the departments tutelage. Even our school teachers cannot pass basic tests.

We home schooled our two girls for almost all of their school years. They far outperformed their public school counterparts year after year, as evidenced by their scores on the (required) yearly testing. Public school kids are not required to take tests on an annual basis in Ohio. Only home schooled kids are.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:54 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,800,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammbriggs View Post
they replaced the evil of forced segregation with the evil of forced integration. this is precisely why i don't agree with public schooling. all sides believe they are being unfairly treated and all sides are being treated unfairly!
Look, I agree for the most part. I don't like the public education system either...but I hate it because of the poor curricular standards enforced by both state and federal level depts. of edu...the "cartels"...the politicians who decided what is knowledge and what is not (as if knowledge can be voted in or out).

That being said, I think Americans should learn to live among one another rather than factionalizing either voluntarily or by state mandate. That's the best way to solve our problems and learn to understand one another.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
i will teach my kids sex education long before the public schools get hold of them. as for creationism, i can't think of a less harmful story than creationism. it's kinda like santa claus.

then we get to the policies which are taught in public schools. keynesianism, climate change, fdr, the civil war, the global ban on ddt (which didn't kill white kids i might add). what we were taught by the federal dept of education has far more serious implications than what kids learn about the birds and the bees and whether we descended from apes or adam and eve.

(to add to that, i was raised in a moderate catholic household. at around the age of 9, maybe 10 i came to the conclusion that what i learnt in religioun was remarkably similar to the story of santa claus ie if you're a good boy you get x etc. realising that religion was just a bogus diatribe, i began to question all the other nonsense i was taught. in many ways, religious indoctrination was the foundation for my scepticism.....i guess when life gives you lemons, ........)

Old 09-06-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Well I guess it depends on what type of society you want to live in -- one that is multicultural and there are equal opportunities as guaranteed through the social contract (and U.S. Constitution, as well as many state constitutions), or you want to live only among your kind.
you see multiculturalism as a goal. i don't. if i join a club, move to a neighborhood, join a class where there are no blacks or latinos or asians, i have no problem with that. i also have no problem joining a club where i'm one of the only white guys. left to its own devices multiculturism happens it doesn't need to be forced. 100 years ago, the irish, italians, poles and jews didn't mix. italians married italians, jews, jews, irish, irish etc it wasn't forced. it still happens today but it is more the exception than the norm. without bussing, multicuturalism would happen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections