Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 01:23 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,583,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing12 View Post
I aint gonna argue, but all we have to do is look at the 2000 and 2004 elections, who do you think the hardcore Christians clung to more

And nowadays when these Christians "leaders" support a candidate, do they ever even consider anyone on the Democrat side?
Alot of those "hardcore" christians were also democrat. Don't forget that..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 06:47 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,064,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
Why should politicians have to put their religious beliefs on public display in the first place? It's a private matter. As long as someone's religion doesn't involve ritual slaughter of little kitty-cats or something, it's nobody's freaking business!!! Not to mention completely irrelevant to their ability to govern.
Become a Democrat. We don't want to hear about your religion constantly, either. It's only the Republicans that are obsessed about your relationship with the Sky-Father.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:14 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,260,491 times
Bill Clinton claims to be a s Christian, as does Al Gore.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:58 AM

Location: On another site. This one is lame :) Trying to give it a second chance though.
105 posts, read 71,232 times
If there was a god, half the people who believe in "him" wouldn't exist.

Nope, no god, and Jesus was a con-artist. So was "Moses". Real people, with real bull****.

...and like it or not, Bush was elected, and re-elected, by Christian conservative Republican thumpers. There will always be exceptions to every rule, so please stop talking about religious Democrats. We all know religion does not drive the Democratic agenda.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:24 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,509,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
Become a Democrat. We don't want to hear about your religion constantly, either. It's only the Republicans that are obsessed about your relationship with the Sky-Father.
That's an over generalization about Republicans. Kind of like saying that all Democratics are far left loons that want to do away with Christmas. I personally could care less about one's religion. So long as they are competent and the right one for the job.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:24 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,665,045 times
Quote:
ha I am sure, if there is a god, he doesnt give 2 ****s about what goes on, on this earth

But I am certain, the jewish-christian-muslim-hindu god is a insane thought and I am not sure if it should be banned(I dont oppose freedom of speech, but after listening and living with these types of people I am not so sure)

But I am absolutley certain the judeo-christian-muslim god is nothing more then a fantasy created several thousand years ago, I am absolutley beyond certain of that, no question, none
Ya know, that's pretty much my feeling on it. I was raised to believe in that God, but when you step back to look at it, you realize how absurd it all is. This God made the earth the center of his entire creation. Great, makes perfect sense ... if you think that the earth is at the center of the universe and the only planet in existence, as the writers of the scriptures did. Now we know that we're just one of billions of planets, obritiing around one of billions of suns, in one of billions of galaxies, in a universe too large to even begin to comprehend. We hold no special place in the cosmos. And that undermines the whole Bible-God story about how we were a special creation. There's no reason that a supreme being would focus on one little backwater rock out of billions and billions of them. Not to mention that he wouldn't be wasting his time meddling in the affairs of certain people on that one little rock. I'm sure he'd have more important things to do.

Is there some kind of creative, impersonal force out there somewhere? Something beyond our comprehension? Sure, maybe. But I can guarantee you it's not a tempermental old man sitting on a cloud. That God was created in our image.

I'm just amazed that so many people still cling to the idea.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNT_Eagle View Post
Of course I believe that God created the earth. The book of Genesis is quite clear on the issue.
There have been lots of creation stories in the history of mankind. That doesn't mean any of them are true ...

Old 12-06-2007, 06:41 AM

1,197 posts, read 3,583,597 times
Quote:
There have been lots of creation stories in the history of mankind. That doesn't mean any of them are true ...
I guess we can just agree to disagree.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:47 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
Quote:
On the other hand, it does not make them false either -

Old 12-06-2007, 06:49 AM

Quote:
haha no , it ment if you want to worship, do it in your own home, alot of people in the US left places in Europe where they were persecuted because of their religion, so that ment the Government should have no part of Religion
It was meant to work both ways. The government out of religion, and religion out of government. That was the only way to protect freedom of religious expression.

There was a reason that Thomas Jefferson refused to initiate a national day of prayer when he was president. There was a reason he fought to exclude a direct reference to Jesus in Virginia's statute for religious freedom. There was a reason he told the Danbury Baptists about the importance having a wall of separation between church and state.

He understood -- as most of our founders did -- that mixing religion and government is bad for religion AND government. Any government that can influence religion is the same one that can ban religion, or compel you to worship in a certain way. It's a very, very dangerous line to cross when you let government and religion mix.

It's a private matter, and it should be kept that way.

People like to point to things like "In God We Trust" on our currency, and "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance. Our Founders had nothing to do with either one. They were later inventions.

It's telling that the only references to religion in the Constitution aren't things that codify religion. There are only two things. (1) The government can't make a law respecting an establishment of religion, and (2) people cannot be submitted to religious tests for holding office. People who keep bugging the candidates about their beliefs would be well served to remember that second one. The Founders didn't want religion to be a requirement for office, so there's no reason we should want anything different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections