Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 04:10 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,309,239 times

Advertisements

No, he's not "selling out." He'll get a big voice in building the party platform at the convention...you know, those issues the party promises to work on over the next four years. He and Hillary both ran civilized campaigns for the most part and have much to be proud of in doing so. Especially this season where the Republicans are eating their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 04:12 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,112,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free-R View Post
Obama said in his TV message that he met with Sanders "this week." The meeting was supposedly this morning. Oops. It's all been planned.
Why, do you think Obama woke up just this morning and decided to endorse Hillary? He has had plenty of time since the middle of last year to figure out who to endorse (I am sure he would have loved to endorse Joe Biden).

Mick

Old 06-09-2016, 04:15 PM

3,524 posts, read 3,729,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Why, do you think Obama woke up just this morning and decided to endorse Hillary? He has had plenty of time since the middle of last year to figure out who to endorse (I am sure he would have loved to endorse Joe Biden).

Mick
You're okay with them having this pre-arranged and then parading around like the meeting was today, when in fact they've known for months that Sanders would quietly fold into the party? It's been a way to keep Sanders voters happy up until the convention.

The meeting that happened "today" is just more false propped-up politics from the Establishment. So orchestrated, and hopefully the American people will see right through it come November.

Last edited by Free-R; 06-09-2016 at 04:20 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-09-2016, 04:18 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,370,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Changing his song? You must be joking. Bernie Sanders has had and will continue to have a big impact on the Democratic Party and its platform. Anyone who wants Sanders to run as a third party candidate or to continue attacking Hillary Clinton and the Democratic Party must want a Republican to win the White House and appoint the next Supreme Court justice.
Sanders will never sell out~~ He will carrying his message continued. maybe not as nominee..However, His popularity and direct affect on the Electorate has NOT been LOST. Following DC Primary next Tuesday..He will use his particular Progressive Message ( NOW that it's OUT there Nationally + roundly accepted) forward...What this man has done is cause a SHIFT to Liberal/Progressive Party.
Young people and middle class are tired of being taken advantage of by rich funders controlling Govt. Policy ..and Saunders has indeed elevated his name recognition and will be VERY influential in Congress going forward!

His Supporters will always support his ideation..BUT in order to get progress on it..MUST be done with Hillary now....GOP obstructionism and ALL or nothing attitude ( Compromise unspeakable since 2010)...NOW GOP Congress will have to do something other than block, defund, kick can down the road, attach riders to bills that kill them etc. Super Majority should NOT be necessary for any Legislature in order to get anything done!! Pragmatism is NECESSARY!!

Old 06-09-2016, 04:18 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,507,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Wonder what Cabinet position Hillary will offer Bernie?
Why do you think she would offer him a cabinet seat? He'd be a major headache to her. Just like warren would be.

Or why would he take it? He better placed in the senate. And he know Hillary would try to hold him back if received a spot in the cabinet.

Old 06-09-2016, 04:21 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,737,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Bernie Sanders vows to work with Hillary Clinton as Dems move toward party unity - CNNPolitics.com

And so perhaps it begins. Isn't it interesting this coincidentally happened after meeting with obama.

Sure sounds like he's changing his song. So if he doesn't run independent, green party, etc., and supports clinton, I have a feeling most sander's supporters will think he's a sellout and certainly won't support clinton.

A piece on why bernie shouldn't cross over/support this lady:

Hillary Clinton's Private Server Contained Special Access Program Intelligence. Bernie Sanders Must Continue to Campaign

bernie bernie bernie......
You've misunderstood Sanders if you think that he fundamentally opposes Clinton. He has said in the past that he likes and respects her. And he also been saying, quite clearly, that any republican, but especially Trump, is a disaster as a candidate and would be a disaster as president.

The Clinton/Sanders "quarrel" has all along been one of how best to get to goals that they have both shared for years. I'm not papering over their real differences, but policy-wise Sanders is a LOT like Clinton, and very little like Trump. And neither one is anti-Obama.

I'm sorry you'd see Sanders as a sell-out if he supports Clinton. I don't see him that way at all. I see him as an inspiration, and an example of how it takes decades of persistence to bring about change. I'm very sorry he didn't win, but - he didn't. The next best thing for him to do is leverage his significant power base into moving the D party forward. After 50 years, he knows how politics really works. His best platform remains the D party, rather than a minor party, because, as he has just proved, there is a sizable pent-up demand for more liberal government policies.

And you don't understand Clinton if you think that she wouldn't like to have more liberal supporters, because no American politician can lead a parade to the left if there are no followers behind her.

And you don't understand Sanders supporters if you don't know that many of us are long-time registered Ds who are willing to support the most liberal candidate they can get. And that SURE ain't Trump.

Old 06-09-2016, 04:25 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,737,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post

Mick
Obama was ALWAYS going to endorse the Democratic party nominee, whoever that turned out to be. And he was ALWAYS going to help that nominee in any way possible.

What, you really think he spent any time at all agonizing over whether, if Sanders didn't win, he should endorse Clinton or Trump?????!!!!!!

Old 06-09-2016, 04:27 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,943,485 times
Selling out would mean that he has sided with Trump, who proposes policies that are the antithesis of what Sanders believes in.

Regardless of what Trump says that he believes about helping workers, all of his policies benefit the wealth elite at the expense of working America.

Supporting Clinton means building on the Obama legacy that was surprisingly good considering the level of GOP hostility and obstruction.

Old 06-09-2016, 04:31 PM

79,914 posts, read 44,174,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unihills View Post
Even though Sanders has definitely struck me as a pretty straight shooter, the mechanics of our political system wouldn't allow him to keep all his promises either. Many promises end up tempered by the other two branches, and luckily the POTUS is not a dictator.
There is a huge difference in not being able to get your promises accomplished even though you tried and outright doing the opposite of what you promised.

I'm not going to condemn any politician that tries and fails. My condemnation is for the liars.

Quote:
To that end, I'm pretty confident our world wouldn't end if Trump were elected. Our worst Presidents ever may have made a muck of things, but none of them brought down our system permanently. The status quo is a pretty massive juggernaut.
I don't pay much attention to Trump. I would to see if there was any way in the world I could vote for him if I wasn't reasonably sure that he would appoint Christie as his Attorney General. I am bleh, concerning Trump. I can't stand the pig, Christie.

Old 06-09-2016, 04:46 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,464,858 times
Well, given my general distrust for any politician of any party stripe/being firmly convinced doing what's right for the people is priority 100 on a list of 100 priorities, if that, I wouldn't be surprised if this was all just an act from the beginning by sanders. And if true, that's most unfortunate but again, what can we expect from a politician given their past actions that we see over and over again?

The only thing that would convince me, if sander's was sincere about standing by his views and not siding with the person he said is bought off by wall street and all the other not so nice things he said about her, is if he runs as an independent or green party and continues his message. I'm not from Missouri but I am indeed a "show me/don't tell me" person and actions speak much louder than words.

So given I'm convinced 100% clinton is not going to stop taking donations from wall street/whomever and such matters, according to sanders, are allegedly very important to sander's by his own words/going after clinton on them over and over again, to me it was just a big script/act if he fully backs her. The "I don't want trump to win that's why I won't run independent/green party" argument to me is nonsense. Someone who is true to their principals wouldn't back such a person for this reason....they'd stick by them and let the chips fall. But I am a realistic person and realize we are talking about politicians here. And sellouts are common in this game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free-R View Post
Obama said in his TV message that he met with Sanders "this week." The meeting was supposedly this morning. Oops. It's all been planned.
yep, oops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections