Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 05:29 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
Well, y'know, there have been posts implying that sanders would run with the green party if he didn't get the nom. That was just wishful thinking by trump followers. I think he is a realist, he knows that the democratic party holds many of the same values he does and he wants his agenda pursued. He certainly wouldn't be telling his supporters to vote for trump instead of hillary.
True, some of his supporters talk like that. But Sanders himself has never talked like that. In fact, he's said over and over that he would do all he can to keep Trump out of the White House. And that means no third party run.

And as vigorously as they have disagreed on some issues, neither Sanders nor Clinton have gotten nasty to each other.
http://theweek.com/speedreads/629001...ingle-negative

Last edited by jacqueg; 06-09-2016 at 05:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 05:33 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,327,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
He certainly wouldn't be telling his supporters to vote for trump instead of hillary.
I think that too many Sanders followers haven't figured that out just yet.

Old 06-09-2016, 05:58 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
Sanders' leverage is very high, he has built a massive movement of millions of loyal and enthusiastic followers (including MILLIONS of donors) that believe in his MESSAGE. Its not about himself or some personality cult, its about getting as much of that message moved into policy. He is an industrious and intelligent man who lives and breathes politics and who's been around the block, I'm sure he has a good plan going forward.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:33 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times
It will be interesting to see what happens. Some of the most hateful and vitriolic posts against Hillary I've seen especially on facebook have come not from Trump supporters but from Bernie supporters. A lot of them really really do not like her so Bernie will have to tread very carefully or risk alienating his base of support. Though honestly, he is 74 years old. He will not be running for president again. His career will best serve the American people back in the Senate where he will return with a great deal more political power. Eventually, he will have to pass the torch to someone else. Either way, people who think he actually will miraculously grab the nomination from Hillary or will win on a third party ticket are delusional. I think some Bernie supporters secretly want Trump to win over Hillary but I don't think those supporters were ever true liberals to begin with or maybe they just haven't educated themselves. My brother, a huge Bernie supporter, is one of those people. He said at least if Trump wins he will shake everything up in Washington, and didn't seem to care about the consequences. But he said he probably just won't vote if Sanders isn't an option.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:40 PM

3,531 posts, read 3,734,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Either way, people who think he actually will miraculously grab the nomination from Hillary or will win on a third party ticket are delusional.
Yeah, it's not going to happen. But man that would be epic, because in that kind of a three-pronged race, it would be anyone's guess who would win.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:42 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,030,764 times
Kind of funny Trump running against Hillary He bought Her years ago like everybody else.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:53 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Kind of funny Trump running against Hillary He bought Her years ago like everybody else.
It takes two to tango. Both are willing to do whatever they need to do to forward their interests. Two sides of the same coin.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:04 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,510,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
It will be interesting to see what happens. Some of the most hateful and vitriolic posts against Hillary I've seen especially on facebook have come not from Trump supporters but from Bernie supporters. A lot of them really really do not like her so Bernie will have to tread very carefully or risk alienating his base of support. Though honestly, he is 74 years old. He will not be running for president again. Eventually he will have to pass the torch to someone else. Either way, people who think he actually will miraculously grab the nomination from Hillary or will win on a third party ticket are delusional. I think some Bernie supporters secretly want Trump to win over Hillary but I don't think those supporters were ever true liberals to begin with.
Really Bernie doesn't have to worry. I think most supporters realize this was not just about the man....but a movement toward the left and it's. Vision of the future. Elizabeth Warren an a couple others will take that mantle moving forward.
As for the hate. Well from my perspective on this board there are Hillary supporters here that tried to paint Bernie as a dirty politician and his followers as the dregs of society or just ignorant kids. So what reaction would one expect. The funny thing is on this board is after California there seems to be a sudden softening toward Berine and an over confidence that many Berine supporter will be supporting her....most of this is anecdotal by the way. Methinks many bridges were burn on the way here. Probably not enough for Hillary to lose but a lot more that the sycophants of Hillary think. Don't think there's going to be a reconciliation between the two sides just toleration of each other until the left finally build enough of a power base to run the democratic platform. So I expect contention with in the party for the next decade or so. Should be fun.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:11 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,554,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
You've misunderstood Sanders if you think that he fundamentally opposes Clinton. He has said in the past that he likes and respects her. And he also been saying, quite clearly, that any republican, but especially Trump, is a disaster as a candidate and would be a disaster as president.

The Clinton/Sanders "quarrel" has all along been one of how best to get to goals that they have both shared for years. I'm not papering over their real differences, but policy-wise Sanders is a LOT like Clinton, and very little like Trump. And neither one is anti-Obama.

I'm sorry you'd see Sanders as a sell-out if he supports Clinton. I don't see him that way at all. I see him as an inspiration, and an example of how it takes decades of persistence to bring about change. I'm very sorry he didn't win, but - he didn't. The next best thing for him to do is leverage his significant power base into moving the D party forward. After 50 years, he knows how politics really works. His best platform remains the D party, rather than a minor party, because, as he has just proved, there is a sizable pent-up demand for more liberal government policies.

And you don't understand Clinton if you think that she wouldn't like to have more liberal supporters, because no American politician can lead a parade to the left if there are no followers behind her.

And you don't understand Sanders supporters if you don't know that many of us are long-time registered Ds who are willing to support the most liberal candidate they can get. And that SURE ain't Trump.
You're crazy, they are fundamentally at odds. It's like Ryan and Clinton arguing over the color of the drapes where Sanders, even if he agrees with Clinton on the drapes, argues they should live in a different house altogether.

The best point he ever made, which was sad to see him mention less frequently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIBeSoO9YxQ

Old 06-09-2016, 07:31 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Really Bernie doesn't have to worry. I think most supporters realize this was not just about the man....but a movement toward the left and it's. Vision of the future. Elizabeth Warren an a couple others will take that mantle moving forward.
As for the hate. Well from my perspective on this board there are Hillary supporters here that tried to paint Bernie as a dirty politician and his followers as the dregs of society or just ignorant kids. So what reaction would one expect. The funny thing is on this board is after California there seems to be a sudden softening toward Berine and an over confidence that many Berine supporter will be supporting her....most of this is anecdotal by the way. Methinks many bridges were burn on the way here. Probably not enough for Hillary to lose but a lot more that the sycophants of Hillary think. Don't think there's going to be a reconciliation between the two sides just toleration of each other until the left finally build enough of a power base to run the democratic platform. So I expect contention with in the party for the next decade or so. Should be fun.
I think you are dead wrong. What I saw today was Obama, Bernie, Hillary, Biden and Warren come together as one in unity to defeat Trump. It appeared to even be orchestrated like a beautiful dance. To do what 15 GOP primary weakling losers could not do--stand up to a yuge bully who had run rabid for the last year attacking, insulting, encouraging white supremacist nutjobs and extremists, inciting violence and being an all round uncivil jackass, in the name of being an 'outsider' supported by angry voters.

First Obama, then Bernie with a show of unity. Then Biden and Warren gave fabulous speeches putting Trump exactly where he belongs--in the gutter. Warren was ferocious and strong. Biden was steady and dignified. He made some strong excellent points regarding Trump claiming he would 'come back in November and get the judge' (as President-elect) and being totally oblivious to what he was inferring regarding abuse of power. A president-elect going after a federal judge in a civil suit? How insane. Thank Biden for pointing this out. To a room full of attorneys no less.

This childish brat Trump has been marauding all over the country like Attila the Hun for the last year with the weak-willed GOP refusing to stand up to him running over civil society. They've got a big mess on their hands right now. More and more of them do not support Trump and they're stuck with this nightmare of a candidate. I think there is a chance he will not be the candidate. He is not going to behave and play nice while being attacked by Warren, Obama, Bernie and Biden. He will be himself and the GOP will gradually disassociate from him.

Bernie's issues will be incorporated into the platform--guaranteed. These people like and respect each other and they are all basically on the same team. Some of Bernie's more radical and younger supporters may not be happy, but Warren and Bernie will bring others into the fold. No progressive is going to want Trump and his regressive 50s platform to take over this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections