Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 07:39 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
And yet he's doing everything he can to ensure a Trump presidency by becoming another Ralph Nader.

At this point, Sanders is just an ass. If he can't have the white house, then no other democrat can. What an ass...
He has never said anything of the sort. His problem has been the sell out Hillary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
It will be interesting to see what happens. Some of the most hateful and vitriolic posts against Hillary I've seen especially on facebook have come not from Trump supporters but from Bernie supporters. A lot of them really really do not like her so Bernie will have to tread very carefully or risk alienating his base of support. Though honestly, he is 74 years old. He will not be running for president again. His career will best serve the American people back in the Senate where he will return with a great deal more political power. Eventually, he will have to pass the torch to someone else. Either way, people who think he actually will miraculously grab the nomination from Hillary or will win on a third party ticket are delusional. I think some Bernie supporters secretly want Trump to win over Hillary but I don't think those supporters were ever true liberals to begin with or maybe they just haven't educated themselves. My brother, a huge Bernie supporter, is one of those people. He said at least if Trump wins he will shake everything up in Washington, and didn't seem to care about the consequences. But he said he probably just won't vote if Sanders isn't an option.
Secretly? I've made no bones about the fact in the very limited argument of which is the lesser evil, that would be Trump. Luckily we are left with more choices than those two.

So I want either Stein, Johnson or even Vermin Supreme to win over those two but yeah, I would like to see Trump beat Hillary for runner up.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:44 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,113,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
He has never said anything of the sort. His problem has been the sell out Hillary.
Another way of saying he'll keep campaigning to split up the democratic vote so Trump could win.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Another way of saying he'll keep campaigning to split up the democratic vote so Trump could win.
It's not really up to him. I find the idea that people who are counter to nearly everything Hillary stands for will go ahead and vote for her because someone else asks for it so odd.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:51 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Secretly? I've made no bones about the fact in the very limited argument of which is the lesser evil, that would be Trump. Luckily we are left with more choices than those two.

So I want either Stein, Johnson or even Vermin Supreme to win over those two but yeah, I would like to see Trump beat Hillary for runner up.
For curiosity's sake, do you self-identify as a liberal?

Old 06-09-2016, 07:58 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I think you are dead wrong. What I saw today was Obama, Bernie, Hillary, Biden and Warren come together as one in unity to defeat Trump. It appeared to even be orchestrated like a beautiful dance. To do what 15 GOP primary weakling losers could not do--stand up to a yuge bully who had run rabid for the last year attacking, insulting, encouraging white supremacist nutjobs and extremists, inciting violence and being an all round uncivil jackass, in the name of being an 'outsider' supported by angry voters.

First Obama, then Bernie with a show of unity. Then Biden and Warren gave fabulous speeches putting Trump exactly where he belongs--in the gutter. Warren was ferocious and strong. Biden was steady and dignified. He made some strong excellent points regarding Trump claiming he would 'come back in November and get the judge' (as President-elect) and being totally oblivious to what he was inferring regarding abuse of power. A president-elect going after a federal judge in a civil suit? How insane. Thank Biden for pointing this out. To a room full of attorneys no less.

This childish brat Trump has been marauding all over the country like Attila the Hun for the last year with the weak-willed GOP refusing to stand up to him running over civil society. They've got a big mess on their hands right now. More and more of them do not support Trump and they're stuck with this nightmare of a candidate. I think there is a chance he will not be the candidate. He is not going to behave and play nice while being attacked by Warren, Obama, Bernie and Biden. He will be himself and the GOP will gradually disassociate from him.

Bernie's issues will be incorporated into the platform--guaranteed. These people like and respect each other and they are all basically on the same team. Some of Bernie's more radical and younger supporters may not be happy, but Warren and Bernie will bring others into the fold. No progressive is going to want Trump and his regressive 50s platform to take over this country.
Yeah any true Bernie supporter with any sense will see that Hillary, despite her flaws, will forward their interests better than Trump. This O'Reilly interview from back in 2008 where he complained and complained about her wanting to raise the tax on the 1% leisure class which includes him in order to provide relief to the lower classes I think says it all. You can tell he truly believes she will do it. She hasn't changed her stance on that.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OxTNjYHdzvI

Last edited by Bluefox; 06-09-2016 at 08:13 PM..

Old 06-09-2016, 07:58 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,552,583 times
Quote:
Party loyal democrats were going to vote for the nominee no matter what so I don't imagine there will be much "splitting".

A lot of people registered as democrats just to vote for Sanders, but it's definitely not a given that they'll suddenly become loyal to a party they were never fond of, and was never fond of them.

I can only hope there's enough of them that will abandon Clinton to throw the election.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:13 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,508,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I think you are dead wrong. What I saw today was Obama, Bernie, Hillary, Biden and Warren come together as one in unity to defeat Trump. It appeared to even be orchestrated like a beautiful dance. To do what 15 GOP primary weakling losers could not do--stand up to a yuge bully who had run rabid for the last year attacking, insulting, encouraging white supremacist nutjobs and extremists, inciting violence and being an all round uncivil jackass, in the name of being an 'outsider' supported by angry voters.

First Obama, then Bernie with a show of unity. Then Biden and Warren gave fabulous speeches putting Trump exactly where he belongs--in the gutter. Warren was ferocious and strong. Biden was steady and dignified. He made some strong excellent points regarding Trump claiming he would 'come back in November and get the judge' (as President-elect) and being totally oblivious to what he was inferring regarding abuse of power. A president-elect going after a federal judge in a civil suit? How insane. Thank Biden for pointing this out. To a room full of attorneys no less.

This childish brat Trump has been marauding all over the country like Attila the Hun for the last year with the weak-willed GOP refusing to stand up to him running over civil society. They've got a big mess on their hands right now. More and more of them do not support Trump and they're stuck with this nightmare of a candidate. I think there is a chance he will not be the candidate. He is not going to behave and play nice while being attacked by Warren, Obama, Bernie and Biden. He will be himself and the GOP will gradually disassociate from him.

Bernie's issues will be incorporated into the platform--guaranteed. These people like and respect each other and they are all basically on the same team. Some of Bernie's more radical and younger supporters may not be happy, but Warren and Bernie will bring others into the fold. No progressive is going to want Trump and his regressive 50s platform to take over this country.
And I think your dead wrong.

1. For the election warren and Bernie will work together with Hillary to beat trump because for them it's about furthering there position within the the party giving them more leverage to move the party on the direction they want. Once the election is over the fights will begin again. You can try to kid yourself. Just like when Obama was elected in 2008 that the second coming was here. But reality turn out to be different. I'm not he was a bad president. What I saying is that people set way to high of expectations for him to achieve. Just like you post is expecting to much of the people involved. The will be no kumbaya after this election.

2. Hillary for the moment most part knows she can't really incorporate Bernie and warrens platform because she has to deal with hostile house perhaps a senate. The only thing she will be able to deliver on is the Supreme Court. That's it. She'll compromise the rest away. More bones of contention.

3. Many Bernie voter are not going to follow his path for this election. I think many folks understand what he needs to do as a politican. But we won't go there. Then after the election back to good old cantankerous Bernie being a general PIA to Hillary. And the fight for the soul will of the party will continue.,

But tell you what let see what happens In November and let's what happens during the first 4 year of Hillary's presidency. See if you can prove me wrong.

Last edited by baystater; 06-09-2016 at 08:26 PM..

Old 06-09-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
For curiosity's sake, do you self-identify as a liberal?
Not really. I am pro-life. I support the 2nd fully. I believe we should balance the budget.

Many of my beliefs that many would consider "liberal" is what once was very conservative. I disagree with the government bailing out failed businesses. I disagree with interventionist wars. These once were strong conservative ideas.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:17 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Sanders' leverage is very high, he has built a massive movement of millions of loyal and enthusiastic followers (including MILLIONS of donors) that believe in his MESSAGE. Its not about himself or some personality cult, its about getting as much of that message moved into policy. He is an industrious and intelligent man who lives and breathes politics and who's been around the block, I'm sure he has a good plan going forward.
Bernie is very smart and has been a survivor in Congress for a long time--he's a politician. I think he has been holding out for leverage. He has no ego, so those who have claimed it has simply gone to his head are wrong. He is 75 and he's not going to change. I think he made a deal with Obama today, I think he told him what he wants, and I have a feeling that Obama and the Dem party and Hillary will be very accommodating to Bernie.

Hillary is also smart. She knows how to make political deals--this is what she has done for 30 years. This is where experience fits into the big picture. She needs votes and she is well aware of where they can from, so I have no doubt she will reach out to Bernie supporters through the issues. She'll find common ground. Look--if she can unite the party, she would be a good president. If she can't, she'll lose. Divided parties historically lose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections