Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 12:12 PM

288 posts, read 350,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Not even close to right. Yes, in the 80s the borders were supposed to be secured, but we all know that is easier said than done. Where are you getting your information about vetting immigrants from the mid east? What Trump proposing is very different than what most Republicans are suggesting. I think you are smart enough to know that.

I think Mr. Mick was responding to my post. I was pointing out how I like what Trump is saying but uncomfortable with how he is saying it, and used the "secure the border" and "vetting the immigrants" as 2 examples of how he could be more palatable as a candidate.

TB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 12:14 PM

46,979 posts, read 26,033,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Curious to know the views from better reasoned conservatives and/or other than those who don't lean conservative in the first place...
Well, his negative views are record high - 70% in the latest poll. Simply put, the man is extremely unlikable.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-10-americans/

Even if the Republicans shrug him off as a lost Presidential election, they still have to shudder at the thought of his influence on the down-ballot votes.

The moneyed interests behind the GOP are looking at Trump,considering the likely ROI on backing him and keeping their checkbooks in their pocket. (Forget about his bluster about financing his own campaign. He won't, and he can't.)

After dust clears, the sponsors of the GOP establishment are going to have some pointed questions. Trump can leave the political game and still be Trump - reduced in statute, certainly, but he has a plan B. Ryan, McConnell etc. - they're political lifers, and they will have to explain how they lost control of their party.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:49 PM

29,552 posts, read 9,745,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Well, his negative views are record high - 70% in the latest poll. Simply put, the man is extremely unlikable.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-10-americans/

Even if the Republicans shrug him off as a lost Presidential election, they still have to shudder at the thought of his influence on the down-ballot votes.

The moneyed interests behind the GOP are looking at Trump,considering the likely ROI on backing him and keeping their checkbooks in their pocket. (Forget about his bluster about financing his own campaign. He won't, and he can't.)

After dust clears, the sponsors of the GOP establishment are going to have some pointed questions. Trump can leave the political game and still be Trump - reduced in statute, certainly, but he has a plan B. Ryan, McConnell etc. - they're political lifers, and they will have to explain how they lost control of their party.
Trump will get a ROI either way, because all this helps his Trump brand either way. Not sure there is any great mystery as to how control was lost in the GOP, beginning with the infusion of the Tea Party, but it's hard to hold Ryan and/or McConnell responsible for all that. After the Romney loss, the GOP did an assessment of how they needed to change their message and/or plattform, "whether to change the pizza box or the pizza." They need to do both and for the most part knew it...

Instead, along comes Trump who short-circuits the campaign for POTUS by paying his OWN way, appeals to enough Americans who also love "political incorrectness" (ineptness), because they basically hate politics, and Trump further distances minorities (and pretty much everyone not older conservative white male) in the process!

Bad for the GOP and bad for America, most very unfortunately...

Old 06-15-2016, 01:08 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,882,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Believe me, I have put a lot of thought into this and yes, it is partly party loyalty but it does go a little deeper. I think Hillary is as shameful as they come. I have been following her, like many have for over 30 years, she has been in hot water more than not. Believe it or not, if Biden was the candidate I would shock everyone especially my conservative grandkids and vote for him. I would have voted for Webb as well. I will add, I understand the Democrats supporting Hillary.
I've known you to be a very pragmatic poster on this board, so I have to say I find it very disappointing that you will vote for someone like Trump. As I said before, it will be voters who are otherwise sane and intelligent, but who will put party before country, who could be responsible for thrusting a lunatic onto the country and the world.

I hope you will be able to live with your decision.

(There are third party candidates you could vote for.)

Last edited by HeyJude514; 06-15-2016 at 01:20 PM..

Old 06-15-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
I've known you to be a very pragmatic poster on this board, so I have to say I find it very disappointing that you will vote for someone like Trump. As I said before, it will be voters who are otherwise sane and intelligent, but who will put party before country, who could be responsible for thrusting a lunatic onto the country and the world.

I hope you will be able to live with your decision.

(There are third party candidates you could vote for.)
Yes! If not Hillary for the win but rather Trump..., third party, third party!

Old 06-15-2016, 01:49 PM

465 posts, read 257,281 times
I truly hope that the GOP can take the party back from the right-wing crazies that hijacked it. Politics works better when there are 2 sensible sides to debate in a healthy, productive manner. It encourages compromise and new ideas to move the country forward.

Till then, I guess I'll just continue to enjoy laughing at the glorious sh*t show that is the Trump Presidential Campaign.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:03 PM

14,786 posts, read 8,126,158 times
Well, at one time I was a conservative republican (not anymore though) - but that was a whole different era - the 1980's.....Reagan would be a Liberal to some of the people in the GOP nowadays....Just a few months ago I switched to the Democrats (love Bernie) because they support the working and middle class (who have had it slammed to them in recent decades.)

Even though I was conservative in some areas - I was never a misogynist, racist Bigot...and frankly, I could never stand for that - and that is exactly what Trump is coming across as. Honestly, my personal opinion has it that the only way a person could ever really like him is if he were a racist bigot or an idiot.
Attached Thumbnails
Conservatives and/or Republicans against Trump, why?-13450760_10208074715683500_227230600081476457_n.jpg  

Old 06-15-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Well, at one time I was a conservative republican (not anymore though) - but that was a whole different era - the 1980's.....Reagan would be a Liberal to some of the people in the GOP nowadays....Just a few months ago I switched to the Democrats (love Bernie) because they support the working and middle class (who have had it slammed to them in recent decades.)

Even though I was conservative in some areas - I was never a misogynist, racist Bigot...and frankly, I could never stand for that - and that is exactly what Trump is coming across as. Honestly, my personal opinion has it that the only way a person could ever really like him is if he were a racist bigot or an idiot.
I'm no conservative but ouch! Even I could feel that sting. Talk about "the Bern!"

Old 06-15-2016, 02:20 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,124,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty Pendergrass View Post
I truly hope that the GOP can take the party back from the right-wing crazies that hijacked it. Politics works better when there are 2 sensible sides to debate in a healthy, productive manner. It encourages compromise and new ideas to move the country forward.
Me, too. When exactly did it become 100% "my way or highway" (from both sides in most cases)?

Mick

Old 06-15-2016, 02:32 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,238,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
I find it funny Real life long conservatives are being demonized because they don't want to get behind a guy who has supported democrat ideas and polticians his entire life up until literally 4 years ago.

Real life long Conservatives... like... Lindsey Graham... ? LOL!

And lets not forget... Reagan himself began life as a Democrat (until he woke up). People change and evolve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections