Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 08:42 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,473,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetosave View Post
As a big trump supporter. .

I'm totally suprised by how trump has tanked... liberals were right...general election is different. .. I don't think Cruz would have done any better.... Clinton is too good a salesman. Cruz would have terrified the general population
You're surprised by how he's tanked? I'm far from a liberal and I knew he never had a chance.

I'm sure not a fan of Cruz, but he'd be far less scary than Trump to most people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 10:32 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,368,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Boy View Post
As a Trump supporter, I really do wish he would rein in some of his rhetoric. Instead of phrasing it as "building a wall", hammering the message of "securing the border" would resonate much better, without alienating/polarizing so many. Instead of "banning" muslims I'd rather his message be about vetting, much more palatable. We've never been a country that just bans segments of people. But my gosh securing our country has to be done, who can deny this? And, I really wish he would add overstayed visas into his message also, what a nightmare that situation is.

I really agree mostly with his message/ideas, just his delivery method puts off way too many voters...voters that he needs.

TB
Well, Trump isn't going to do that. He can't help himself and he's always been very reckless with his words.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:46 PM

4,204 posts, read 2,344,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
You're surprised by how he's tanked? I'm far from a liberal and I knew he never had a chance.

I'm sure not a fan of Cruz, but he'd be far less scary than Trump to most people.
Props to you. I was wrong... I thought Trump would handle Hillary easily. I'm suprised how many people prefer her over Trump. She has been killing him. I love everything Trump says, but not many share my views.

Old 06-16-2016, 03:07 AM

3,901 posts, read 4,549,667 times
I would describe myself as a moderate Republican. I was back and forth about him and I've heard some articulate arguments from both reluctant conservatives who just want to block Hillary, and from Never Trumpers. Didn't get the true enthusiasts, but I'm not into God worshiping anyone in politics as a general rule anyway. I came of age during Watergate so my cynicism is pretty set.

Sigh... At this point, I'm pretty sure I'll just vote for GiantMeteor... or maybe if I'm in a better mood by November, perhaps Gary Johnson. Of course this summer will be interesting to see who he and Clinton choose as running mates and to hear the debates.

Aside from Trump being egotistical, (Everybody's gonna love me!) appealing to skinheads (Who is David Duke anyway?) and silly (Look! I'm eating a taco bowl!) he really doesn't say much. I watched the Redding, Ca. rally and he just repeated the same stuff over and over, it was really kinda boring.

So in the end, I think he's a big narcissist who got lucky that the vote was split during the primaries by having a ridiculous amount of GOP candidates, and he's been carried on by his supporters because in this age of "trigger warnings" and "safe rooms" and "you can't say this or that", not to mention more serious issues like terrorism and the economy, he came along not sounding like a typically "correct" politician.
I get it...people seemed to appreciate that...felt goooood, ya know? He was able to express concerns of a lot of people in a very blunt way, but he went too far and instead just started sounding like the obnoxious relative at a family picnic just yelling about stuff.

So, I don't think he knows what he's doing, I think he's an a$$, he sounds too unhinged.
I really doubt he'll win and if he does I hope the "establishment" follows him around with a straight jacket and has their hand on the impeachment button.

Also btw, I'm not a fan in any way of conspiracy theories, but I still find it odd he's been such a "gift" to Hillary ("gate") Clinton. If he picks Sarah Palin as VP then I'll know it was all a prank or he was a Clinton plant all along.

Old 06-16-2016, 03:53 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,480,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Aside from Trump being egotistical, (Everybody's gonna love me!) appealing to skinheads (Who is David Duke anyway?) and silly (Look! I'm eating a taco bowl!) he really doesn't say much. I watched the Redding, Ca. rally and he just repeated the same stuff over and over, it was really kinda boring.
Both candidates are very bad, but one you know what you're going to get. The other has nothing to go by (Trump) as far as governing, political administration. Interesting comments.

Old 06-16-2016, 04:07 AM

7,185 posts, read 3,705,103 times
Quote:
I would describe myself as a moderate Republican. I was back and forth about him and I've heard some articulate arguments from both reluctant conservatives who just want to block Hillary, and from Never Trumpers. Didn't get the true enthusiasts, but I'm not into God worshiping anyone in politics as a general rule anyway. I came of age during Watergate so my cynicism is pretty set.

Sigh... At this point, I'm pretty sure I'll just vote for GiantMeteor... or maybe if I'm in a better mood by November, perhaps Gary Johnson. Of course this summer will be interesting to see who he and Clinton choose as running mates and to hear the debates.

So in the end, I think he's a big narcissist who got lucky that the vote was split during the primaries by having a ridiculous amount of GOP candidates, and he's been carried on by his supporters because in this age of "trigger warnings" and "safe rooms" and "you can't say this or that", not to mention more serious issues like terrorism and the economy, he came along not sounding like a typically "correct" politician.
I get it...people seemed to appreciate that...felt goooood, ya know? He was able to express concerns of a lot of people in a very blunt way, but he went too far and instead just started sounding like the obnoxious relative at a family picnic just yelling about stuff.

So, I don't think he knows what he's doing, I think he's an a$$, he sounds too unhinged.
I really doubt he'll win and if he does I hope the "establishment" follows him around with a straight jacket and has their hand on the impeachment button.

Also btw, I'm not a fan in any way of conspiracy theories, but I still find it odd he's been such a "gift" to Hillary ("gate") Clinton. If he picks Sarah Palin as VP then I'll know it was all a prank or he was a Clinton plant all along.
He is worse than an obnoxious relative - given an international stage, he could be far worse than GiantMeteor. At least we could all go in a flash with the meteor, with trump it could be a very long, painful existence.

He may have no choice but Palin, tho... it looks like not too many other potential VPs are interested in being his running mate.

Old 06-16-2016, 04:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Well, his negative views are record high - 70% in the latest poll. Simply put, the man is extremely unlikable.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-10-americans/

Even if the Republicans shrug him off as a lost Presidential election, they still have to shudder at the thought of his influence on the down-ballot votes.

The moneyed interests behind the GOP are looking at Trump,considering the likely ROI on backing him and keeping their checkbooks in their pocket. (Forget about his bluster about financing his own campaign. He won't, and he can't.)

After dust clears, the sponsors of the GOP establishment are going to have some pointed questions. Trump can leave the political game and still be Trump - reduced in statute, certainly, but he has a plan B. Ryan, McConnell etc. - they're political lifers, and they will have to explain how they lost control of their party.
When are people going to realize, for the most part, the Republicans did not choose him, the cross over vote and those who have never voted did this. It was about 8 candidates versus one in the primaries. I am not going to say 16 because 1/2 of them were out before the voting even really got underway. But you take 1 guy running against about 8 others and people on the other side supporting him, what do you get? You get a candidate that should not even have made it to 2nd base. If we had only 3 running against him, we would have a totally different situation. No, we did choose him, a flawed primary system did..

Old 06-16-2016, 04:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty Pendergrass View Post
I truly hope that the GOP can take the party back from the right-wing crazies that hijacked it. Politics works better when there are 2 sensible sides to debate in a healthy, productive manner. It encourages compromise and new ideas to move the country forward.

Till then, I guess I'll just continue to enjoy laughing at the glorious sh*t show that is the Trump Presidential Campaign.
The right wing crazies have nothing to do with this either. Do you consider McCain or Romney right wing? Holy cow, if you do what would you call your side? For that matter do you think Trump is right wing? If anything, he leans left or certainly used to. He is a bigot, I will say that: there is where his ideas are coming from, close the borders and slam the door on all Muslims shows that. Otherwise he probably isn't anything except a true Trump lover.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:21 AM

29,553 posts, read 9,745,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post

According to Boehner, Cruz is "Lucifer in the flesh," and Trump is a texting buddy. Go figure...

For me, Trump, Cruz and McConnell are like three of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. The fourth will be whomever Trump picks as VP running mate...

Old 06-16-2016, 09:33 AM

29,553 posts, read 9,745,466 times
Quote:

Funny as I was reading this comment I got to wondering how conservatives who can better reason (as seems exemplified here) explain away or excuse their party, over and over, regardless how embarrassing...

Memories of Sarah Palin came to mind, and sure enough! Palin gets honorable mention at the end of the comment!

I'm no conservative, and I can't say I am in any way that enthused about Hillary taking over after Obama. We're all going to miss Obama whether we know it or not, but if the GOP would at least offer up viable choices! George "Mission Accomplished" Bush, McCain/Palin! -- I mean really? Palin? Forget the 47% of Americans Romney, the Tea Party (see ya later Boehner!), now Trump?

Of course the Democrats are going to keep the White House!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections