Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2016, 11:11 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Thank you for admitting your error.
When did I ever say that you can't change a system from within? I've made that argument myself in regards to switching my support from Sanders to Clinton.

Trump did have and still has the power to change the system from within - he could have had his brands manufactured in the US all along. He chose not to.

Are you seriously telling me that Trump is running for president so he can force himself to bring his manufacturing back to the US??????
https://www.donaldjtrump.com/media/d...g-if-president

Quote:
Trump should've ran his business in a way to maximize profits. Period. Not running a charity case.
AFAIK, all Trump companies are private, so he can run his companies any way he chooses. He could run them like 'Newman's Own' which makes money and donates its after-tax profits.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newman%27s_Own

Or he could take the far less extreme position and simply manufacture his brands in the US. By those US factories employing US workers that would love to grow their businesses if only people like Trump would buy from them.

Old 08-07-2016, 11:50 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,938,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
When did I ever say that you can't change a system from within? I've made that argument myself in regards to switching my support from Sanders to Clinton.

Trump did have and still has the power to change the system from within - he could have had his brands manufactured in the US all along. He chose not to.
Proof that his business would not lose a penny by manufacturing in the US?

Quote:
Are you seriously telling me that Trump is running for president so he can force himself to bring his manufacturing back to the US??????
https://www.donaldjtrump.com/media/d...g-if-president
It's not force if he's the one changing the system.

Quote:
Or he could take the far less extreme position and simply manufacture his brands in the US. By those US factories employing US workers that would love to grow their businesses if only people like Trump would buy from them.
In other words he should be at a competitive disadvantage by choice? Silly. I take it you aren't a business owner?

Old 08-07-2016, 11:56 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Quote:
Proof?

It's not force if he's the one changing the system.

In other words he should be at a competitive disadvantage by choice? Silly. I take it you aren't a business owner?
He isn't at a disadvantage. Plenty of businesses operate in the U.S. and are profitable. Trump is selling snake oil to the masses, simply put it. He weaves a fantasy tale about brining back businesses that are long gone along with the idea that he actually plans on trying to bring them back. Once Trump got into office it would be more of the same. Anyone that thinks different hasn't paid any attention to this guy. Just check his fluctuating positions based on who he talks to for proof to that. Trump is running to put a notch on his belt and nothing else.

Old 08-07-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
He isn't at a disadvantage. Plenty of businesses operate in the U.S. and are profitable. Trump is selling snake oil to the masses, simply put it.
So you have intimate knowledge of Trump's business workings? I also notice that you said "profitable" - since when is the goal of a business to simply be profitable? Sounds out of touch with how businesses are actually run.

Hold on...writing Apple asking to purdy please start making iPhones in the US.

Old 08-07-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
So you have intimate knowledge of Trump's business workings? I also notice that you said "profitable" - since when is the goal of a business to simply be profitable? Sounds out of touch with how businesses are run.
The point of a business is to make and maximize profit. A talented business owner can easily do that if they actually put their minds to it. My Uncle runs a company that manufactures scientific glassware. He was approached with an investor who wanted to build a factory in China to maximize his profits. He refused based on principle and found ways to make the same amount here through efficiency. Believe it or not there are still a ton of goods made in the U.S., and now that wages are rising in China, and other factors you are starting to see industries move back. If Trump really wanted to make goods in America for a profit and do so he could. Telling people that he will fight for American workers when he has a long history or not doing so and exploiting them smacks of hypocrisy. Trump looks out for Trump. He isn't concerned with anyone else.

Old 08-07-2016, 12:19 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
Quote:
The point of a business is to make and maximize profit. A talented business owner can easily do that if they actually put their minds to it. My Uncle runs a company that manufactures scientific glassware. He was approached with an investor who wanted to build a factory in China to maximize his profits. He refused based on principle and found ways to make the same amount here through efficiency. Believe it or not there are still a ton of goods made in the U.S., and now that wages are rising in China, and other factors you are starting to see industries move back. If Trump really wanted to make goods in America for a profit and do so he could. Telling people that he will fight for American workers when he has a long history or not doing so and exploiting them smacks of hypocrisy. Trump looks out for Trump. He isn't concerned with anyone else.
Before GE sold off their appliance section, they moved all their manufacturing back to the States. Why? Higher wages in China, cost of transportation, time delay from completed goods to consumer, and expanded automation meant it was cheaper to build in the US than China.

More onshoring is coming.

Old 08-07-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
A ton of goods are made in the US yet it seems like 90% of the products in my home are not made in the US. Are you saying that all these companies are too lazy to make the same profits producing their goods in the US?

A little non-scientific test with what I have on hand:

T shirt made in Mexico
Phone and phone case made in China
Shorts made in Bangladesh
Shoes made in China
Remote control made in Mexico

Old 08-07-2016, 12:45 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,419,986 times
EddieHaskell - this is the National Presidential Polls thread.

If you keep dragging this thread off topic, a moderator is going to shut the thread down, just like the other polls thread that were closed due to non-topic partisan bickering.

If you really need to pursue this topic, please take it to a new thread.

Old 08-07-2016, 12:46 PM

You know things are bad when even the skewed conservative poll the peoples pundit daily has Clinton up by 3. xD.

https://www.peoplespunditdaily.com/l...tracking-poll/

Old 08-07-2016, 02:49 PM

4,078 posts, read 2,340,233 times
Quote:

Trump should've ran his business in a way to maximize profits. Period. Not running a charity case.
Typical Trumpette response. There are thousands of businesses in the US with 1/10 of the money Trump has who *gasp* proudly make all their products in the US! Sure, they could have larger profit margins if they outsourced overseas, but they care more about American jobs then maximizing their profits. Trump is a multi-billionaire who could have easily built facilities in the US to make him and his daughter's over 1,000 products they sell. He didn't, he doesn't care about American workers or American jobs. Nice try though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections