Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2016, 05:13 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
IOWA is tied for 4 way race per latest poll from 8/10/16 per real clear politics.

2 way race in IOWA between Clinton and Trump has Clinton +4

RealClearPolitics - 2016 Election 2016 Presidential Polls
No surprise there. That state has been trending red for awhile. The downside for Trump is that his lack of organization will likely kill him as it did in the caucus there.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:32 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I hope there is a strong Republican cohort in Congress to balance the inevitable Clinton win. The **********s need to be left swinging though.
If it's like the Republican cohort we've had for the past 8 years, why on earth would you want them?

I can imagine Rs who are worthy of respect, even though I don't agree with many of their policies. But this bunch? When they're not trying force all americans to live by (certain) biblical principles, they're throwing toddler temper tantrums because they have to deal with a Democratic president.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:45 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
If it's like the Republican cohort we've had for the past 8 years, why on earth would you want them?

I can imagine Rs who are worthy of respect, even though I don't agree with many of their policies. But this bunch? When they're not trying force all americans to live by (certain) biblical principles, they're throwing toddler temper tantrums because they have to deal with a Democratic president.
Let's face it, the best legislation historically has come about when there is bipartisanship, and constraints put on the president or the congress. Hillary will require constraints put on her, although I agree, the tea party types are on their last breath and need to go.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:14 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,813,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Let's face it, the best legislation historically has come about when there is bipartisanship, and constraints put on the president or the congress. Hillary will require constraints put on her, although I agree, the tea party types are on their last breath and need to go.
I agree with the bolded. But the way these polls are trending we may not end up with 2 functioning parties represented strongly in government for at least a couple of years. That's really annoying.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
I agree with the bolded. But the way these polls are trending we may not end up with 2 functioning parties represented strongly in government for at least a couple of years. That's really annoying.
The chances of the GOP losing the house is slim. Likely the best the Democrats can do is put a nice dent in their majority. If it's enough to rid Ryan of most of the freedom caucus then he would have a lot more leeway to make deals. If he loses moderate Republicans then he will be a weakened position. Polling so far is looking good for the Senate in the event Hillary wins. If she doesn't they might pick up 1 or 2 seats I guess.

Old 08-11-2016, 05:56 AM

25,964 posts, read 22,132,993 times
Question: With the polls, I see that some consider a 2-way and 4-way race while others concentrate on just a 2-way. Does anyone know why this is done? Is it area specific and some candidates won't be on every state's ballot or what?

Old 08-11-2016, 06:13 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,295,922 times
Tampa Bay Times Florida Political Insiders Poll

165 Florida pols were anonymously polled; 3 out of 4 expect Clinton win, but 80% predict Rubio will be re-elected.

Quote:
"A lot of Republicans are as afraid of winning the presidential race as they are of losing it. As a result, more Republicans than people realize are going to skip the top of the ticket when they vote" a Republican said.
Quote:
"Trump will lose by largest percentage since 1988, when Bush 41 defeated Dukakis by 22 points. Rubio will win by 5. Split tickets all over the peninsula," predicted one Republican.
Donald Trump can't lose Florida, but state politicos think he will | Tampa Bay Times

Old 08-11-2016, 07:01 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,611,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
The chances of the GOP losing the house is slim. Likely the best the Democrats can do is put a nice dent in their majority. If it's enough to rid Ryan of most of the freedom caucus then he would have a lot more leeway to make deals. If he loses moderate Republicans then he will be a weakened position. Polling so far is looking good for the Senate in the event Hillary wins. If she doesn't they might pick up 1 or 2 seats I guess.
Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Pennsylvania, and New Hampshire these are the five most likely to flip with the democrat up by several points at a minimum.

Nevada is the only worry for the democrats where Heck has been up by one or 2 points in almost every poll.

Ohio, North Carolina, Florida, Arizona, and Iowa should all come down to election night.

This is where the wave phenomenon and coattails come in. If Clinton wins by 8 or more then the coattails get bigger and Republicans start to stay home.

This was very interesting out of the polls yesterday by Marist...

Note that Marist tested registered voters while both PPP and Marquette looked at likely voters. But there's something very interesting going on when comparing voter screens. Marquette also provided data on what registered voters think, and they're slightly more favorable for Republicans: Feingold leads 47-38, while Clinton's up 42-33. By the same token, Marist offered breakdowns for respondents who say they'll "definitely" vote in November. This group was more bullish for Democrats: Among them, Grassley's up just 48-47 and Portman 47-43, while McGinty's lead stretches to 51-44. Clinton's margins are also wider in every case.

This is very atypical. Usually, the tighter a pollster screens, the better the numbers look for Republican candidates, simply because Republican voters are historically more likely to vote. But both Marist and Marquette see the opposite happening. That suggests there's an enthusiasm gap between Democrats and Republicans, possibly because Republicans are particularly depressed about Donald Trump, or because Democrats are particularly scared of him, or both. If this proves to be a nationwide phenomenon that continues through Election Day, it'll be a rough experience for the GOP

Old 08-11-2016, 08:47 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
... simply because Republican voters are historically more likely to vote. But both Marist and Marquette see the opposite happening. That suggests there's an enthusiasm gap between Democrats and Republicans, possibly because Republicans are particularly depressed about Donald Trump, or because Democrats are particularly scared of him, or both. If this proves to be a nationwide phenomenon that continues through Election Day, it'll be a rough experience for the GOP
I should say.

But it remains to be seen if Donald Trump's supporters are limited to those who have always voted Republican in the past. He could be bringing in a whole new crowd.

There is definitely a resurgent of enthusiasm in Democrats. No doubt about it. Hope it continues all the way down the ticket.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:09 AM

Rasmussen:

General Election: Clinton 43, Trump 40, Johnson 8, Stein 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections