Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2016, 04:07 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,599,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
If 37 Republican electoral voters refuse to vote for him, it goes to the House and he can be denied the Presidency. You have higher odds of winning Powerball than that happening though.
The big question is, who would come out of the House selection process as the President? Does anyone really think they would get a majority to pick Trump? Don't forget that none of the Democrats would vote for him. There would be a lot of contention among the Republicans and they might divide into non-reconcilable factions. One side of them might have to draw in the Democrats to win. And you know their candidate would have to be very moderate, to get their cooperation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 05:36 PM

34,075 posts, read 17,112,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Liberals still grasping for an elusive victory. Sad.

It's fun for me as a Trump supporter who gets to watch them lose again and again and again..emotionally.

Old 12-02-2016, 07:37 PM

1,548 posts, read 914,327 times
I'll say this, the country is getting quite the civics lesson from this election.

Old 12-02-2016, 07:57 PM

45,452 posts, read 60,653,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
The big question is, who would come out of the House selection process as the President? Does anyone really think they would get a majority to pick Trump? Don't forget that none of the Democrats would vote for him. There would be a lot of contention among the Republicans and they might divide into non-reconcilable factions. One side of them might have to draw in the Democrats to win. And you know their candidate would have to be very moderate, to get their cooperation.
It doesn't work that way. In the case of the Presidential election being decided in the House each State has one vote. Do the math, which party has the most states in the House and who did they vote for?

The election of the Vice President goes to the Senate where each member has a vote. Which party is in the majority there and how did their states vote?

Old 12-02-2016, 08:08 PM

32,092 posts, read 15,085,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Liberals still grasping for an elusive victory. Sad.
Liberals didn't ask for a recount. I doubt it will change anything. But I find it very interesting that Trump and his supporters are trying to block the recounts. It tells me they are scared.

34,075 posts, read 17,112,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by north beach person View Post
it doesn't work that way. In the case of the presidential election being decided in the house each state has one vote. Do the math, which party has the most states in the house and who did they vote for?

The election of the vice president goes to the senate where each member has a vote. Which party is in the majority there and how did their states vote?

Sad that you had to explain that.

33,387 posts, read 34,868,581 times
it seems every presidential election, everyone talks about faithless electors, and how the opponent could get enough over to their side to change the election results. and while it is possible, the chances of it happening are very slim indeed. electors are chosen very carefully by the party for their loyalty, and those that go against the parties wishes, are punished, perhaps not much by law, but by the party itself.

the electors are usually party officials, and they stand to lose their status in the party itself. "remember that leadership position you had? well thats all you can do now"

Old 12-02-2016, 08:11 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,868,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Liberals didn't ask for a recount. I doubt it will change anything. But I find it very interesting that Trump and his supporters are trying to block the recounts. It tells me they are scared.
no one i know is trying to block the recounts, if they were it would be all over the news night and day saying trump is trying to steal the election, and since that isnt happening, i suspect you are making things up.

however i am sure that trump has lawyers in the courts to protect hi rights under the law.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:14 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,742,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
If 37 Republican electoral voters refuse to vote for him, it goes to the House and he can be denied the Presidency. You have higher odds of winning Powerball than that happening though.
The GOP controlled House of Representatives would vote Trump in, there is absolutely no doubt. I have to admit, it would be a lot more interesting if it were a Democrat controlled House. Would they override the electoral vote in the furtherance of their own political party's interests? They do have the popular vote as an excuse, so they would have a viable excuse for it. But would they steal the victory away from Trump? Would their party survive the backlash? But alas we don't have that merry bit of chaos in store. It's a pretty straightforward win for Trump in the House.

Now if it is possible to get 37 Trump electors to abstain, then I think state governments will be in a scramble to clean up the mess. It shouldn't be possible. The people of their state have spoken. Threats and intimidation and personal opinions should not be able to override that. I think virtual electors would be better anyways. Having an actual person go vote for the person they were told to vote for ... do you really need the person? And a virtual elector can't ever be a faithless elector. If any of the recounts results in no electors being sent from a state, then every state will be in a scramble to clean up their recount laws and processes to ensure that it can never happen again. If Jill Stein actually does uncover shady happenings, it helps make the case for banning electronic voting machines and implementing voter ID laws -- oh the irony of that!

I guess things like this do clean up the messes that nobody could be bothered to clean up yet.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:20 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,559,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
^^^^^ i was hoping the actual votes cast by the voting public (neither Trump nor Hillary getting to 270) might give us this clean slate, and then a bit before the election someone pointed out that the House can only choose among people who got at least one electoral vote as a result of the election (this is why McMullin concentrated his efforts where he did). So, the House could only choose between Trump and Hillary.....and I doubt they would choose Hillary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections