Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2016, 03:36 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,660,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
I beg them... for the sake of the well being of the country, vote for Hillary Clinton the national popular vote winner!
Hate to burst your bubble, but he states he absolutely will not vote for Hillary Clinton even if he doesn't vote for Trump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 03:55 PM

17,403 posts, read 11,986,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
I beg them... for the sake of the well being of the country, vote for Hillary Clinton the national popular vote winner!
Only if you want a civil war.

This crazy talk of changing the game after the loser lost is nuts. It doesn't work that way. And you will anger the voters who voted based on the rules in play, not rules changed after the fact.

Old 12-06-2016, 05:08 PM

417 posts, read 346,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and where were you reading this? I ask because it seems to be only a few who claim they do not want to go along with the majority of the electors. To answer your question, don't lose sleep over this, nothing is going to change.
I heard it first on Npr a couple of mornings ago, so I researched it and read it on a few sites, most of them Liberal however so I don't know if that's saying anything.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:12 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,742,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK508 View Post
That's why it's amusing to me when you see the anti-lib crowd on here supporting California's secession. Like...you do realize how bad that would be for the other states right? Smh...

Anyway, for all those folks who keep saying the electoral college doesn't devalue CA and NY votes...it does! The Electoral College values a Californian as 3.8 Wyomingans.
Yes it absolutely does devalue the Californian. Anyone saying that it doesn't is being blatantly dishonest. I grew up in Wyoming as it turns out and I often joke that when I moved away, the population of the state dropped by 1/3. I can say that Wyoming really does get ignored by politicians. You're vote might be worth 3.8 times as much as a Californian's vote, but you still only have 3 electoral votes to the entire state. It's still a waste of time, especially for Democrats who never win there. I did see a couple of Republican candidates show up there when I was a kid, but never a Democratic one. Not ever. Washington DC doesn't give a crap about Wyoming. Not really.

That's precisely the problem that Rhode Island, Delaware, Vermont and New Hampshire had in mind when they insisted upon the Senate and Electoral College. They knew that in a purely popular vote, they'd get completely ignored. They didn't want to be part of a country where they were completely irrelevant. Today, Vermont, North Dakota and Wyoming still feel the same way. So the Electoral College is working exactly as designed. And the reason it won't be undone is because folks in Wyoming and the other 20 or so tiny states know how bad it'll be for them if it happens.

I do think that all states assigning their EC votes proportionally would go a long way towards the Presidential candidates being a lot more active in all 50 states. It would also be a lot less likely for the Electoral College vote to go for one candidate and the popular vote for the other.

Old 12-06-2016, 07:11 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,742,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaemily View Post
I was reading the news today, and they were talking about the Texas Republican Elector not wanting to vote for Trump. They said that 37 electors would have to go against Trump.
So my question is, Would that mean the electors would likely pick another Republican? If so, who would that Republican be and how would that change Trumps Cabinet picks, because I don't see how a new candidate could pick their whole cabinet that fast.
A faithless elector can do a lot of things. They could vote for Hillary if they want to. They could vote for Mitt Romney or Marco Rubio I suppose.

The only thing that would change the outcome would be for 37+ electors switching their vote to Hillary. That's certainly not going to happen. If Trump doesn't get 270, then it goes to the GOP controlled House or Representatives who will undoubtedly hand it to Donald Trump. The best the Democrats can hope for is to make Trump start out looking like "the unelected president" or something like that.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:23 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,686,375 times
Default Donald Trump is unpopular

Can we get over the whole "American people have spoken" narrative? Americans didn't vote vote for him. The electoral college did.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:26 PM

4,095 posts, read 2,568,391 times
A team can score more runs, yet lose the Series.
Number of runs are meaningless, winning Games matters.

It's the same concept.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:28 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,127,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Can we get over the whole "American people have spoken" narrative? Americans didn't vote vote for him. The electoral college did.
Was that a question? The longer you people continue with your popular vote nonsense, the more excruciating the next 8-plus years will be. God Bless President Trump.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:31 PM

29,837 posts, read 24,933,447 times
I seem to recall a similar thing happening not too long ago... Yet we endured and survived. Now its your turn.

What's the matter? Afraid to see America become great again?

Old 12-06-2016, 09:31 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,872,138 times
Wow 60+ million people voted for Trump and liberals think he is unpopular... reality is not their friend...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections