Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Mayor Pete have any shot at becoming the nominee?
Yes 84 47.19%
No 94 52.81%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 05:27 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times

Advertisements

Wow, so far, close to 50% say he's got a chance. That's an incredible rise for someone, who at the first of the year, nobody knew anything about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 07:21 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,525,338 times
Lightbulb Pete Buttigieg, does he stand a chance?

Mayor Pete is an impressive guy with an apparently bright future in politics.

That said, I think his chances for the nomination this go-round approach zero.

But bookmark him.

Cuz this young man could make some real waves in the not too distant future.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:36 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Wow, so far, close to 50% say he's got a chance. That's an incredible rise for someone, who at the first of the year, nobody knew anything about.

Sometime this year there will be clear front runners, maybe 4-6 of this crowded field. I'm really wondering if Pete can make it that far, I'm starting to think he can, he might be the new darling of the party.

Old 04-09-2019, 08:08 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,665,635 times
Mayor Pete is smart, well educated and appealing to a large section of the voters.

Unless he has wins or close second places in the first 3-4 primaries he is finished this time. The democratic field is too crowded. But he has a bright future ahead of him. Unlike Beto who is an empty suit with no achievements other than jumping up on countertops and waving his hands wildly.

He and Nikki Haley of the republicans are rising stars.

Old 04-09-2019, 12:01 PM

934 posts, read 402,100 times
As previous elections show, it's too early to write off anyone. It really depends on whether Democrats in your country are sick and tired of status quo candidates like the one you had last time. And if they are, it also depends which new ideas and direction they will choose to follow.

My favourite US candidate is Andrew Yang and I believe his popularity will only grow, but yes, I think that Mayor Pete has a realistic chance too, being an accomplished and extremely eloquent individual. It's easy to believe that his foreign languages are more advanced than Melania's, although it doesn't really matter for anything, other than to confirm his intellectual abilities. Also, his CV is quite impressive for such a young age. Although I believe that his experience in politics is his only real advantage over Yang, I like Mayor Pete. He looks like "smooth Sheldon" (Sheldon Cooper, but with social skills, there's definitely a physical resemblance with Jim Parsons, the actor from Big Bang Theory).

Last edited by switchtoecig; 04-09-2019 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 04-09-2019, 04:59 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,747,929 times
I want to be the President. I am GAY.

Good luck with that Introduction.

Pete Buttigieg will not be the President.

Old 04-09-2019, 05:09 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
So we've got a great candidate--intelligent, politically aware and engaged, knows the issues, has actual realistic solutions to problems, doesn't speak sloganese--but does speak 8 languages. The guy is a shooting star and the right knows it. And because he is a serious candidate, we will have immature kids coming into the forum and making dumb jokes.

Hopefully, the mods will clear the deck of the childish stupidity, so there can be an actual discussion.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:51 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post

Not asking if he can become president, just if he has any shot at becoming the Democratic Nominee.

Not too long ago no one thought a black man could get elected, or that a business man with no elected office experience could win. I've learned in my lifetime, this country, especially today, continues to be a country of firsts, for better or for worse.

Old 04-10-2019, 07:09 AM

5,896 posts, read 3,895,279 times
Quote:

Who cares? Gay or not, the guy sounds more reasonable and intelligent than the current Commander-in-Chief and most of the Democrats currently running. Pete would make a fine VP choice.

Old 04-10-2019, 03:19 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:

He doesn't introduce himself that way! You made that up.

But he makes no bones or apologies about who he is either. If enough voters who are weary of 100 lies a day coming from the White House find his honesty refreshing, I doubt his sexuality will be a big issue to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections