Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Mayor Pete have any shot at becoming the nominee?
Yes 84 47.19%
No 94 52.81%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 04:06 PM

28,662 posts, read 18,768,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
Harris will probably win the SC primary because a large number of Democrats in the state are African Americans. But once again SC is not a bellwether state that will be a Red State no matter who the Dems put up.
Don't count on Harris getting the African American vote.

Remember that seven blacks have made serious runs for the presidency, and we've only supported one of them--and didn't support him until he actually won a predominantly white state.

Harris has some serious credibility problems among African-Americans. That debate is hot right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 04:10 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,253,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
I agree, but he won't win the Democratic nomination, if for no other reason, most southern voters still will not vote for a openly gay man. If the Democrats want to beat Trump, they better start thinking about who can realistically beat Trump, and it's not Sanders, Warren, Harris, or Buttigeig. Biden or Beto are real threats. A Biden/Beto ticket would probably be a winning combination.
It would be great--but the extreme progressives will go ballistic if it is two white guys, which is ridiculous. I think something like a Harris/Buttegieg ticket might be a winner. Hopefully, they will vote for the Dem--even if it isn't Bernie. It is not going to be easy to please everyone.

The debates will clear the field. But Buttigieg is shooting up the ladder after having no name recognition whatsoever. Claire McCaskill said her daughter in college, previously not engaged, sent him $3. I donated money, too. The point is that this guy appeals to people across the spectrum. I think by election time--nobody will care about his sexual orientation, but after the immature ignoramus in the WH, will be ready for someone who speaks English. Buttigieg has a huge political future.

The thing is, every time he gives a speech or town hall or interview, more people are wowed by him. I honestly think he's going to really shine in the debates.

Old 04-04-2019, 04:11 PM

28,662 posts, read 18,768,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
We have to much boomer leadership I'd like some diversity.
I'm a boomer, and I'm not going to vote for another one. We boomers were born on a different planet. We are like Autobots and Decepticons--stuck in the old wars.

Old 04-04-2019, 04:17 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 18 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,531,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Hmm. Nope. Trump gained seats in the US Senate, unheard of in modern political history
This is technically true, Bush had a net gain of 2 seats in 2002, thats the closest.

Quote:
and his losses in the house were far far better than Obama.

Given the amount of money the Democrats spent, and changing rules in several states to allow ballot harvesting, it was a horrible result.
These 2 statements contradict each other( the second not even being true).

Trumps numbers do not look as bad because of the way the rules(maps) are drawn up.

Democrats actually outperformed Barack Obama's 2008 congressional numbers in Michigan, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin,( I cant find numbers on Iowa )

This isnt one of those times where you can argue "if only you exclude California", because the Dems still win by a mile without it.

Old 04-04-2019, 06:37 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,348,584 times
A lot has changed in the 10 years since the 2008 election in the west. In 2008, neither Oregon nor Washington, the coastal states with large populations, were much more red than they are now, as was Colorado.

In 2008, Utah was still a go-along solidly GOP state, not the conservative rebel that's turning it's own shade of purple that it is now.

Those 4 states contain all the west's largest population centers that lie outside of California. All of those centers are now blue as can be.

And in 2008, emigration to the mountain west hadn't yet caught fire. In 2020, a lot of Democratic voters who once lived in California, Illinois, and other states will be voting in their new homes in the mountain west for the first time.

While that's most likely not to change the outcome in some of the states in the Presidential election, it's quite possible it could change the Senate in 2020 in any of the mountain west states, and one of the Democratic party's main objectives in 2020 is to take back the Senate.

Old 04-04-2019, 08:28 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,205,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
A lot has changed in the 10 years since the 2008 election in the west. In 2008, neither Oregon nor Washington, the coastal states with large populations, were much more red than they are now, as was Colorado.

In 2008, Utah was still a go-along solidly GOP state, not the conservative rebel that's turning it's own shade of purple that it is now.

Those 4 states contain all the west's largest population centers that lie outside of California. All of those centers are now blue as can be.

And in 2008, emigration to the mountain west hadn't yet caught fire. In 2020, a lot of Democratic voters who once lived in California, Illinois, and other states will be voting in their new homes in the mountain west for the first time.

While that's most likely not to change the outcome in some of the states in the Presidential election, it's quite possible it could change the Senate in 2020 in any of the mountain west states, and one of the Democratic party's main objectives in 2020 is to take back the Senate.
Many great points here - but another Western state should be mentioned as well. Arizona is probably going to be the most competitive Western state in 2020, given that Nevada and Colorado are getting increasingly reliable for Democrats, and Utah is still far away from being a swing state.

Could Buttigieg perform well in the Western states? I don't see why not, but the region has some of its own contenders - Hickenlooper from Colorado, Inslee from Washington, and Harris from California so far. Of those candidates at this point only Harris looks like she has much of a chance to win the nomination.

Old 04-05-2019, 12:40 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,348,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Many great points here - but another Western state should be mentioned as well. Arizona is probably going to be the most competitive Western state in 2020, given that Nevada and Colorado are getting increasingly reliable for Democrats, and Utah is still far away from being a swing state.

Could Buttigieg perform well in the Western states? I don't see why not, but the region has some of its own contenders - Hickenlooper from Colorado, Inslee from Washington, and Harris from California so far. Of those candidates at this point only Harris looks like she has much of a chance to win the nomination.
Yes indeed. Arizona is going to be competitive.

I didn't mean to imply Utah was going to be a swing state, but I do think the state won't be strong for Trump, and there will be more votes for a Democrat. Even more for an Independent and/or a 3rd party candidate.

I don't know Buttigieg at all yet. But everything I've read about him indicates he's able to cross party lines, and he has a lot of popular qualifications, including being a combat veteran in Iraq. He could have the right stuff, but he has to become much better known if he hopes to have a chance.

I agree that at least at the moment, Harris is a stronger, at least for now.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:19 AM

39,075 posts, read 51,205,311 times
Buttigieg-Sinema! The ultimate party crossing ticket that wins Arizona and makes the difference in 2020.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:37 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,608,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
This is technically true, .....
Dear don't pretend like you accept it. LOL

We know you will never acknowledge Donald Trump's success. However..... The fact that you absolutely insist on constantly talking about Trump in a topic on Pete Buttigieg, speaks for itself on that matter. Trump has whipped you.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:44 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,608,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Yes indeed. Arizona is going to be competitive.
This reminds me of when you guys said Texas would be competitive. Democrats seem absolutely obvious about how dire their situation is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections