Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Mayor Pete have any shot at becoming the nominee?
Yes 84 47.19%
No 94 52.81%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 09:35 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,709,690 times

Advertisements

https://www.military.com/undertherad...buttigieg.html

Quote:
Pete has a notable background as the youngest mayor of a city with a population over one hundred thousand (elected at 29 in 2011), a graduate of Harvard University, Rhodes Scholar, Aspen Institute Rodel Fellow, John F. Kennedy New Frontier Fenn Award recipient, and first openly gay executive in the state of Indiana, even being hailed by outlets as the "first gay president" in the United States of America.
https://www.politico.com/story/2012/...ch-cash-074040

Quote:
Jim Spiegelman, spokesman of the nonpartisan research group Aspen Institute, said there are “prominent differences” between Cato and his organization. He pointed to the fact that the Koch brother involved with the Cato Institute is Charles, whereas David is a trustee of the Aspen Institute, and he said his group is “definitively nonpartisan, so the idea that Mr. Koch would seek to influence our work is a really nonissue.”
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspen_Institute

Quote:
The Aspen Institute is largely funded by foundations such as the Carnegie Corporation, the Rockefeller Brothers Fund, the Gates Foundation, the Lumina Foundation, and the Ford Foundation, by seminar fees, and by individual donations.
https://medium.com/marleyisms/on-thu...g-f63245f213f4

Quote:
Furthermore, South Bend under his power there have been a few of police department issues that could possibly become an issue for the Mayor.

For example, in 2012, Buttigieg demoted the first African American police chief of South Bend, Darryl Boykins, and fired police communications director Karen DePaepe, following the revelation of taped telephone conversations between four white South Bend police officers and the spouse of an officer. The tapes were alleged to contain “racist content”.

The tapes were never disclosed. I’m not sure if community relations are good.

Mayor Buttigieg elected to settle suits brought by Boykins, DePaepe, and the four officers out of court. The Mayor says he did nothing wrong. All the racist secrets on tape remain a secret. I give him a pass because he is not apart of the law enforcement community. He was new and inherited the messiness of the police department. I’m sure he had no idea bull**** like that was happening, but he’s from the area, so he knows his racist community and the types of people who live there...

Additionally, in 2016, a former South Bend Police Officer plead guilty to striking a handcuffed inmate. Nearly five years had passed from the time of the incident to the time the criminal charges were filed by a prosecutor based in Washington, D.C. at the U.S. Department of Justice Criminal Section of the Civil Rights Division. It seems there is a problem with the city police department and he hasn’t been able to get a grip on it. I’m wondering is he strong enough to deal with corrupt systems like the national criminal justice system.

The Mayor’s skinny record in addition to the messiness of law enforcement is less than desirable. While I can’t hold him accountable for actions directly linked to the South Bend Police Department, the messiness of the area and the lack of diversity/racism issues gives me pause. The Mayor settles to keep the city’s little secrets safe, and puts the city and police before the safety and concerns of People of Color. If he does this in South Bend, Indiana, what will he do as our President?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Who???
Exactly!

He has an awesome name though.

Old 03-31-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
What? Bernie is a far leftie! link?
From a global perspective, Bernie is firmly in the center on the political spectrum.

Old 03-31-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
never heard of the guy
That's not a bad thing.

Old 03-31-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
I am not beholden to any candidate or any party.

I like Pete. He is well spoken and articulate. He has a great TV personality. Young and handsome. He does not pander to the blacks like Kamala Harris or is a fake like Warren. Not a old coot like Sanders or Biden.

And most importantly he is willing to go on FOX and also meet conservatives to hear their viewpoints and put across his viewpoints and try to find some common ground. I really like that approach.

He has served in the military and hence no one can call him a draft dodger. I would like to hear more about his views on taxes and how he plans to spend it. If he can spend on education and healthcare and the manufacturing in this country and not on needless wars, he has my vote in 2020.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 03-31-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
I saw him on CNN. He's a progressive clown.
I disagree. Nothing about him is "progressive."

Old 03-31-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Most average democrat voters are center right...
Do you have a citation for this claim?

Old 03-31-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Trump will win if the Dems nominate Buttigeig. I think he's actually one of the worst of the bunch.
^^^I agree.

Old 03-31-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Why? Beto has one of the most pro-Trump voting records in the House and Biden will run on no specific policy except pretending to oppose Trump on the issues.
^^^Also agreed.

Old 03-31-2019, 12:56 PM

He also endorsed Hillary Clinton...

https://youtu.be/bj4IyySuJrY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections