Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Mayor Pete have any shot at becoming the nominee?
Yes 84 47.19%
No 94 52.81%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 03:13 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times

Advertisements

Pete Buttigieg would be the best thing ever to happen to the Democrat party. And that is why the DNC & Democrat establishment will stack the deck against him.
  • The Obama branch wants "Beh toe"
  • The Hillary contingent wants Harris
  • The Progressives are tearing themselves up over Bernie/Pocahontas/and some never wuzes, never realizing that their pick won't be nominated either.
  • Nobody seems to want Biden, but he's coming in anyway.
  • The MSM is still too occupied with Trump to pick "their" candidate.
So take out the above, and you got the sane Democrats left. Problem with that. They have already left the party.

Buttigieg might pull a few of them back, but IMO, I don't see him prevailing. But I think the jury is still out on this. Well see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2019, 03:58 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,425,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Pete Buttigieg would be the best thing ever to happen to the Democrat party. And that is why the DNC & Democrat establishment will stack the deck against him.
  • The Progressives are tearing themselves up over Bernie/Pocahontas/and some never wuzes, never realizing that their pick won't be nominated either.
So take out the above, and you got the sane Democrats left. Problem with that. They have already left the party.

Buttigieg might pull a few of them back, but IMO, I don't see him prevailing. But I think the jury is still out on this. Well see.
The people with power, yes. But Pete is digestible to them, and if he starts gaining support, they will rally behind him.

Old 03-17-2019, 04:00 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
The people with power, yes. But Pete is digestible to them, and if he starts gaining support, they will rally behind him.

Are you planning to vote for him in the primary and then the general election if he makes it that far?

Old 03-17-2019, 04:07 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,552,729 times
Buttigieg seems like a nice guy and has good ideas, but he just doesn't have the gravitas...at all. I could see his candidacy being a way for him to springboard into being a senator or governor but not president.

I don't know, but I think that Biden still has a lot of sway with union voters in certain rust belt states. Towards the end of the Obama presidency, there was deep love for him. Maybe it was just people being sentimental, but I kind of think Biden's a hot head.

Old 03-17-2019, 04:52 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,247,667 times
I'm pulling for Buttigieg if only for the fact that there's only 1 degree of separation between him and me, and it would make for some good stories.

Old 03-17-2019, 04:56 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,425,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
Buttigieg seems like a nice guy and has good ideas, but he just doesn't have the gravitas...at all. I could see his candidacy being a way for him to springboard into being a senator or governor but not president.

I don't know, but I think that Biden still has a lot of sway with union voters in certain rust belt states. Towards the end of the Obama presidency, there was deep love for him. Maybe it was just people being sentimental, but I kind of think Biden's a hot head.
He’s what people like; the average Democrat will fall in love with him.

Biden has pull with union leaders, but the rank and file members will most likely go to Bernie.

Old 03-17-2019, 05:08 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post

I dont think you want to have a real debate about this but I will respond anyways.

Pete was one of only 3 Democrats that President Obama defined as "The future of the party", Clair McCaskill has weirdly been backing him, as have a couple of other midwestern Democrats.

You have a right to your opinion, but you dont know the Democratic Party as much as you think you do.

Same is obviously true with Biden who still leads in the polls. And Warren is now down to 5% in some of the latest polling, Sanders also capped around 27% and is now back down to 20% in some polls.

Old 03-17-2019, 05:18 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,096,278 times
It is still too early to tell and some that are front runners will drop. I think once the debates start you will see things change

Old 03-17-2019, 05:30 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
It is still too early to tell and some that are front runners will drop. I think once the debates start you will see things change
Pete is already making waves in Iowa, so its really about how far he can climb from here.

In one day, he got about 20,000 individual donations. you have to get 65,000 to make the debate stage, he was at 55K, after his donation push, he was at 76K. close to 700,000 dollars. This all happened after the CNN Town hall.

Old 03-17-2019, 06:28 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,219,897 times
I saw him on CNN. He's a progressive clown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections