Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Mayor Pete have any shot at becoming the nominee?
Yes 84 47.19%
No 94 52.81%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 04:39 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,096,596 times

Advertisements

Well this is a good sign for him. According to this poll he has moved to third in Iowa
https://emersonpolling.reportablenew...-double-digits
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 04:41 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,183,909 times
I'm just looking into this candidate. I'm impressed so far. He speaks 8 languages, is well spoken, is Mid-western and a devout Christian. Someone mentioned his being openly gay. Maybe some prefer immorality and will vote for trump. There is not much we can do about that issue. Here's an interview of him on The View.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laSUhvHZMLI

Old 03-24-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
I'm just looking into this candidate. I'm impressed so far. He speaks 8 languages, is well spoken, is Mid-western and a devout Christian. Someone mentioned his being openly gay. Maybe some prefer immorality and will vote for trump. There is not much we can do about that issue. Here's an interview of him on The View.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laSUhvHZMLI
Plus he served in the Military. His popularity is rising

Old 03-24-2019, 04:46 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,608,703 times
3 Candidates came to the SC side of the Charlotte metro this weekend. "Beh Toe", Booker and Buttigieg.

Pete Buttigieg had the biggest crowds by far. Looked like a full gymnasium and more

"Beh Toe" was at a coffee house. Looked like mostly party officials and all the tee vee crews. Very small.

Booker only managed a few people at what looked like Barbershop.

But........ Harris is outdoing all of them.

Old 03-24-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
3 Candidates came to the SC side of the Charlotte metro this weekend. "Beh Toe", Booker and Buttigieg.

Pete Buttigieg had the biggest crowds by far. Looked like a full gymnasium and more

"Beh Toe" was at a coffee house. Looked like mostly party officials and all the tee vee crews. Very small.

Booker only managed a few people at what looked like Barbershop.

But........ Harris is outdoing all of them.
Harris will probably win the SC primary because a large number of Democrats in the state are African Americans. But once again SC is not a bellwether state that will be a Red State no matter who the Dems put up.

The big ones to watch as I keep saying are Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania the Democrat that gets the most support in those three states will be the most viable candidate

Old 03-24-2019, 04:57 PM

15,827 posts, read 14,466,566 times
That's false. Obama made a big splash making the keynote speech in the 2004 Democratic Convention. That gave him a lot of buzz going into the 2008 nomination race.

I had heard of him before the race started. I've never heard of this guy (with good reason. He's a nothing mayor of a small city.) Obama was also a US Senator. When was the last time a mayor got a Presidential Nomination?

I know lots of people have their favorite contender being one of the minor players. But a minor player isn't going to win this. There are too many know candidates (and with a spread of positions) in this race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Not true. At this time in 2007, no one knew who Barack Obama was.

Name recognition is seldom the most winning factor this early in a campaign season. This is the time in a campaign when a candidate has to concentrate on finding donors much more than getting known to the voters.

Without the money, the voters will never get the chance to know who most of the candidates are.
Most of them won't raise enough cash to last out the campaign.

Old 03-24-2019, 05:15 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,183,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
Plus he served in the Military. His popularity is rising
That too. I'm not religious but I think we need someone with good values that will resonate with the middle of the country. His Christian values align with my personal values so I see eye to eye with him. I want to believe the immorality, lack of ethics, and the anti-Christian/values of love that permeate the right wing on sites like this represent the minority of Americans. We can hope and we can nominate a candidate that will speak to everyone. This is where H Clinton failed. She ignored the swing states due to not believing someone like trump would be elected. But, here we are. Let's hope someone like Buttigieg pushes the depravity we currently endure out the door.

Old 03-24-2019, 05:22 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,008,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Not true. At this time in 2007, no one knew who Barack Obama was.

Name recognition is seldom the most winning factor this early in a campaign season. This is the time in a campaign when a candidate has to concentrate on finding donors much more than getting known to the voters.

Without the money, the voters will never get the chance to know who most of the candidates are.
Most of them won't raise enough cash to last out the campaign.
But still, Obama was a US Senator. It was actually Harry Reid who suggested to Obama the idea of running for president.
https://lasvegassun.com/news/2009/ap...ing-obama-run/

Pete is mayor of South Bend, Ind, population 102,245. Pete is only 37; I'd say run for US House first, then run for president after several terms.

Old 03-24-2019, 05:27 PM

23,961 posts, read 15,066,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Why? Beto has one of the most pro-Trump voting records in the House and Biden will run on no specific policy except pretending to oppose Trump on the issues.
I was a strong Beto supporter in his Texas senate race. Money, time and 6 weeks of his campaign having my house as a training center and BnB and dinner out of state volunteers. At the end, all those dollars I sent were used to house out of state volunteers in hotels.

We will not be supporting his POTUS run for many reasons. First off, we do not agree that he should even be in this race. Lately he sounds a little weird. His ego got the better of him with all that adulation. He's as bad as Trump. Born to run. I don't think so.:tape?

Old 03-24-2019, 06:23 PM

3,150 posts, read 2,205,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Pete is mayor of South Bend, Ind, population 102,245. Pete is only 37; I'd say run for US House first, then run for president after several terms.
Unfortunately for Buttigieg his local House district in Indiana (2nd) is not inclined to elect Democrats to Congress - it is very red territory outside the city of South Bend. The state of Indiana as a whole is not promising for Democrats either these days, so he has few prospects to move up in elected office. Maybe he will get an appointed position the next time there is a Democratic president, after a solid effort leading up to the primaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections