Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Mayor Pete have any shot at becoming the nominee?
Yes 84 47.19%
No 94 52.81%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 03:18 PM

1,893 posts, read 1,009,000 times

Advertisements

I can imagine Pres Archie Bunker Trump*s nickname for Mayor Pete....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 03:50 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,278,508 times
I have to admit..I'm a little perplexed at the Buttigieg bubble. He is obviously is a polished speaker. But, I'm not sure why people are committed to backing him on that alone. His only public office has been as mayor of the nations 301st city, not exactly training ground for the presidency. He even admitted last night on the CNN town hall he hasn't unveiled any concrete policy proposals.

I get he has peaked people's interest, but to be supporting him at this point seems to be the equivalent of buying a house based on how it looks from the street.

Old 04-23-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
I have to admit..I'm a little perplexed at the Buttigieg bubble. He is obviously is a polished speaker. But, I'm not sure why people are committed to backing him on that alone. His only public office has been as mayor of the nations 301st city, not exactly training ground for the presidency. He even admitted last night on the CNN town hall he hasn't unveiled any concrete policy proposals.

I get he has peaked people's interest, but to be supporting him at this point seems to be the equivalent of buying a house based on how it looks from the street.
Trump held office before?

His staff of 12 people at Trump Inc is hardly prep for POTUS. maga folks set the bar very low.

Old 04-23-2019, 04:28 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,278,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post

His staff of 12 people at Trump Inc is hardly prep for POTUS. maga folks set the bar very low.
Well..Trump is kinda case and point. His administration has been unusually chaotic, with historically high turnover and lots of unforced errors. His legislative output was pretty disappointing from a conservative standpoint despite controlling both houses of Congress. This legislative underperformance was in no small measure due to the absence any concrete policy agenda.

I would think Democrats would want to avoid going down a similar route and ensuring their candidate has more than glib sound bites. Mayor Pete talks a good game, but what are his key agenda items? He can plow the streets, but what does he think about the budget deficits, drug prices or immigration enforcement?

Last edited by jpdivola; 04-23-2019 at 04:38 PM..

Old 04-23-2019, 04:33 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,641,430 times
Quote:

Trump had 0% political experience when elected, and still refuses to learn how to be the president for every American! He wants to make the rich even more rich, and basically doesn’t care about anyone else.

Buttigieg is smarter, has more experience in politics, and if elected we will actually be done with this reality show circus!

Old 04-23-2019, 04:39 PM

39,857 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post

Running a corporation with some 20-25k employees makes him perhaps the most "qualified" in history. I can't think of any other presidents with that kind of executive experience. Quite the difference between that and a "community organizer", which I understand is like being a small-town mayor-but without the responsibilities.

Buggie has considerably less experience than Sarah Palin did in 2008...and is perhaps less intelligent.

Old 04-23-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Well..Trump is kinda case and point. His administration has been unusually chaotic, with historically high turnover and lots of unforced errors. His legislative output was pretty disappointing from a conservative standpoint despite controlling both houses of Congress. This legislative underperformance was in no small measure due to the absence any concrete policy agenda.

I would think Democrats would want to avoid going down a similar route and ensuring their candidate has more than glib sound bites. Mayor Pete talks a good game, but what are his key agenda items? He can plow the streets, but what does he think about the budget deficits, drug prices or immigration enforcement?
what you describe is a result of Trump's character -- the same character he demonstrated for decades before and during the campaign for all to see-I expect that Mayor Pete would keep a high road, not be a pathological liar, and hire and keep the best. Trump had some very good people in place (Mattis, Kelly, McMaster) but Trump disagreed w/ them and tossed them.

Old 04-23-2019, 05:25 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Didn't she run his entire US Senate campaign?

No, she ran part of it.

Old 04-23-2019, 05:33 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
I'm pulling for Buttigieg if only for the fact that there's only 1 degree of separation between him and me, and it would make for some good stories.
Interesting ..... is (or was) your Father also a Marxist who taught you everything he knows about manipulation?

Old 04-23-2019, 05:37 PM

19,194 posts, read 16,675,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
Maybe it will end up being "Biden-Buttigieg".
If that turns out to be the case, my vote will go to Buttigieg. The more I hear him speak, the more I agree with his ideas. I especially like what he had to say about capitalism in this country. https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/20/2020...right-now.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections