Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Mayor Pete have any shot at becoming the nominee?
Yes 84 47.19%
No 94 52.81%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 09:34 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 20 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,535,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Pretty sad that a small town mayor, with considerably less relevant experience than Sarah Palin, is one of the rising stars of the Democratic party.
what does "relevant experience"even mean when Donald Trump is president ?????

Also, your logic on "rising stars" is flawed. Does someone have to win a state wide race before they are a rising star ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 09:36 PM

753 posts, read 843,032 times
He's the real deal. It's fun to watch his popularity soar so quickly and outpace most all of those Senators.

Old 04-23-2019, 09:40 PM

2,814 posts, read 2,282,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcolaFLGuy View Post
He's the real deal. It's fun to watch his popularity soar so quickly and outpace most all of those Senators.

The real deal based on what? He is obviously charismatic. But, I dunno where he stands on immigration, social security, drug prices, the budget deficit, trade policy, size of military, etc.

Old 04-23-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
The real deal based on what? He is obviously charismatic. But, I dunno where he stands on immigration, social security, drug prices, the budget deficit, trade policy, size of military, etc.
Sounds like he's grown up watching the GOP folks get elected by being super vague on the specifics. He's smart, savvy, a vet, and isn't a Washington insider like all the rest of them - including Trump.

Old 04-23-2019, 09:50 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,369,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
For a guy with such extensive executive experience, it's bizarre how he has no real sense of political/interpersonal savvy, can't hire qualified people to save his life, and has no record of legislative accomplishments. OK, I'll give you the tax cuts and Supreme Court picks. Whoopee! Hardly noteworthy because any other Republican would have done the same exact thing. His wonderful dealmaking skills has resulted in numerous failed healthcare plans, disastrous trade policies (forcing American taxpayers to subsidize failing American farmers due to his idiotic trade war)...not to mention the constant barrage of lies on a daily basis (i.e. my father was born in Germany). I know the bar has been set very low, but I fail to see how Pete's shortcomings are in any way more of a disadvantage here.
Quote:
I have to admit..I'm a little perplexed at the Buttigieg bubble. He is obviously is a polished speaker. But, I'm not sure why people are committed to backing him on that alone. His only public office has been as mayor of the nations 301st city, not exactly training ground for the presidency. He even admitted last night on the CNN town hall he hasn't unveiled any concrete policy proposals.

I get he has peaked people's interest, but to be supporting him at this point seems to be the equivalent of buying a house based on how it looks from the street.
He seems to be everything that Trump isn’t—a good, decent person. If you listen to the town hall he had with Anderson Cooper on CNN, he did outlay some policies. At this early stage, I’m looking for someone who can bring the country together. Also someone smart and well-spoken, which Buttigieg definitely is, and Trump most certainly is not. We have many months to learn more about him and the others running. I say listen and see what you think.

Old 04-23-2019, 09:55 PM

Quote:
I get why democrats or independents favor Buttigieg (or anyone else) over Trump. But, I don't understand why Dems are already committing to vote for him. He has sketched out less of a policy agenda than any of the other major candidates. Like I said what would he do on the budget deficit, social security, immigration, US trade policy? I have no idea.

Even he has admitted has not laid out his agenda yet:

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...onal-campaign/

IMO, Buttigieg needs to get a policy agenda and soon or he will go the way of Beto: A charismatic, but under-qualified empty suit.
He's grown up watching the GOP get elected by giving very little specifics to policy - especially during the early campaign. Maybe he's employing the same tactic.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:09 PM

2,814 posts, read 2,282,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
He seems to be everything that Trump isn’t—a good, decent person. If you listen to the town hall he had with Anderson Cooper on CNN, he did outlay some policies. At this early stage, I’m looking for someone who can bring the country together. Also someone smart and well-spoken, which Buttigieg definitely is, and Trump most certainly is not. We have many months to learn more about him and the others running. I say listen and see what you think.

I guess I like Buttigieg, but I'm getting a little sick of the lack of substance. I ask about specific policies and nobody can give any, just vague, highly subjective generalities: about how he is a good guy, very smart, well spoken.

Bernie, Warren, Harris, Booker and Klobachar are all running circles around him when it comes to actual policy ideas. Even Castro put out a pretty detailed immigration framework. Yang has serious ideas about UBI and other things.

He is very different from Trump temperamentally and ethically. But, he is very similar in his approach to policy. "We're repeal and replace it with something terrific." I hope he builds out a policy team and gets some ideas soon.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:40 PM

28,664 posts, read 18,775,862 times
We're still two years out.

The world can change a hell of a lot in two years, and it's frankly silly and probably suicidal to lay down specifically policies at this point. Things can happen a year from now that would make today's proposed policy look stupid in hindsight.

"Given the current state of affairs, don't you think you were naive when you stated six months ago....?" Who wants to answer that kind of question?

Moreover, the platform going into the election should be that of the party, not purely the candidate's, so there would likely be some changes anyway.

Old 04-24-2019, 07:22 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,615,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcolaFLGuy View Post
Sounds like he's grown up watching the GOP folks get elected by being super vague on the specifics. He's smart, savvy, a vet, and isn't a Washington insider like all the rest of them - including Trump.

I keep saying. That if Democrats want to beat Trump, Pete Buttigieg is the type of guy they should run. Trump will absolutely tear apart any career establishment Democrat out there. Remember he took down the Bush and Clinton political dynasties. Between them, 5 presidential wins.

Old 04-24-2019, 07:26 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,615,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
We're still two years out.....
No...

Iowa caucus is in a little more than nine months from now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections