Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Mayor Pete have any shot at becoming the nominee?
Yes 84 47.19%
No 94 52.81%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 08:12 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times

Advertisements

DiBlasio sounds good but has not done a great job in NYC. Many of his agencies have underperformed in a way that makes the evening news like people living in horrible conditions in city housing for years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Will DeBlasio getting into race help more focus attention on economic and social policy specifics? It might to some degree. There are enough Mayors, former Mayors and former City Council people to elevate urban issues into the forefront, if a few of them want to. I assume he is going to do a lot of that.

If DeBlasio gets any significant support I'd think it could hurt Buttigieg and Booker the most. Maybe Warren or O'Rourke some.
Perhaps Harris and Sanders too. If his wife does a lot of campaigning and interviews, maybe it would help him shave off a few voters from Biden, in the south and elsewhere.

I am not expecting him to get to first tier of candidates and probably not even the second. But 1-5% support even for a short time could have some influence on the flow of the race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 09:07 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
Buttigieg hasn't endorsed 70% marginal tax rates, In that article he indicates disagreement with those specifics and only expresses support for the rich paying fair share. He has only vaguely agreed with Green New Deal goals. The Green New Deal is only goals anyway.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:28 PM

2,814 posts, read 2,278,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Buttigieg hasn't endorsed 70% marginal tax rates, In that article he indicates disagreement with those specifics and only expresses support for the rich paying fair share. He has only vaguely agreed with Green New Deal goals. The Green New Deal is only goals anyway.

That's among the main criticisms with Mayor Pete. Where does he stand? Nobody knows. He hasn't released policy proposals or even policy framework. Just vague liberal generalities. Even Trump had the wall. I don't know that he will be able to keep the generality talk going when the debates start.

Old 05-14-2019, 06:43 AM

39,861 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Butty likes to talk about his military service, especially his time in Afghanistan. And I do respect the fact that he served. But lets not get carried away-he was in the Navy reserves. And his time in Afghanistan was spent as a financial analyst-not in combat-at least from what I have found.

https://www.abc57.com/news/fact-chec...-george-w-bush

Quote:
A further look at Buttigieg's military record shows he worked on the Afghanistan Threat Finance Cell while deployed in Kabul. The mission was to identify and disrupt terrorist organizations' finance and support.

Records state the mayor oversaw analysis and operations, coordinated intelligence and went to high level briefings.

While the mayor says he was a Navy Intelligence Officer, the area on his DD-214 that describes his job is blank. And, despite only a portion of intelligence schools taking at least 13 weeks, his total active duty service prior to his time in Afghanistan is just shy of two months. Questions about his training were not answered by Buttigieg's campaign.

The mayor also does not appear to have seen any combat. Sailors who do receive what's called the Navy Combat Action Ribbon. The mayor received no such ribbon, according to his records.

Old 05-15-2019, 01:35 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Butty likes to talk about his military service, especially his time in Afghanistan. And I do respect the fact that he served. But lets not get carried away-he was in the Navy reserves. And his time in Afghanistan was spent as a financial analyst-not in combat-at least from what I have found.

https://www.abc57.com/news/fact-chec...-george-w-bush
If Pete was serving in an intelligence role, there won't be much in his record about what he did or didn't do. The Navy keeps intelligence quiet in records as a rule.

So the blanks are to be expected. But if he was in combat, there would be no notice of that either.

Old 05-15-2019, 01:12 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
If Pete was serving in an intelligence role, there won't be much in his record about what he did or didn't do. The Navy keeps intelligence quiet in records as a rule.

So the blanks are to be expected. But if he was in combat, there would be no notice of that either.

Yes indeed. And they are often in combat situations.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:01 AM

181 posts, read 82,006 times
Default Why I don't care for Mayor Pete...

Watched his town hall. He's a smooth talker, and great delivery of old, tired liberal ideas; bigger government and less freedom with the exception of abortion, drugs, and LGBT issues.

What must concern all Americans, however, is his support of replacing the electoral college with a popular vote, and any politician who agrees.

The electoral college is genius within the Constitution, because it protects federal elections against mob rule, the tyranny of the majority.

In his interests in scrapping the electoral college, he prioritizes the short-term successes of his own party versus the big picture safeguard of our democracy. Deal breaker.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:21 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times
So let me get this straight , in every other Election held in the US the winner is chosen by the majority vote except for the Presidency. So are you saying all of our other elections are basically "mob rule" then?

Old 05-21-2019, 10:38 AM

181 posts, read 82,006 times
The presidency is a federal election versus your local and state elections.

The federal nature of the American Constitutional covenant enables the nation to function as a republic—thus specifically avoiding the dangers of a pure democracy. Republics exercise governmental authority through mediating representatives under the rule of law. Pure democracies on the other hand exercise governmental authority through the imposition of the will of the majority without regard for the concerns of any minority—thus allowing law to be subject to the whims, fashions, and fancies of men.

The essential philosophical and structural framework within which the Founding Fathers constructed their innovative scheme of national checks and balances, separation of powers, and mixed government was state confederation—or federalism.

The principle of federalism allows distinctive and individual communities to join together for a greater good without losing their essential distinctiveness and individuality. Instead of the states becoming a part of some larger amorphous union, under federalism they are able to unite in a symbiotic fashion so that the sum of their parts is greater than that of the whole.

The Founders designed federal system of the United States so that the nation could be, as John Adams described it, a “government of law, not of men.”

The rule of the majority does not always respect the rule of law... history has proven all too often that democracy is particularly susceptible to the urges and impulses of mobocracy.

Old 05-21-2019, 12:42 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
I haven't heard anyone talk about how the Electoral College change gets done. I assume it would require Constitutional amendment. I doubt it happens anytime soon. The south probably prevents it for at least another generation or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections