Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Mayor Pete have any shot at becoming the nominee?
Yes 84 47.19%
No 94 52.81%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 07:40 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,660,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Yah, I think the powers that be were hoping to cast him in a Kennedy mold, but the weirdness that came up with the avocado baby feces dish and the creepy poetry was a bridge too far for them. Sooner or later somebody breaks out of the pack and Buttigieg is looking like that guy.

One of the previous posters mentioned that you can't judge it by the appeal on City Data and that's true, but I'm betting that if you checked some other social media sites you'd find similar activity to what's happening here. The action and money starts to coalesce around one particular candidate and he's looking like that guy at this time.

I judge it by the media hype and reality. Beh toe came to Charlotte this week. He barely had 40 people show up to listen to him. He's pretty much done, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 08:23 AM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,673,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
So why are you posting here? Not one comment about the topic.
Sorry, I forgot that you are the gatekeeper of who is allowed to post.

I like Mayor Pete. Depending on who else works through the primaries, I might or might not vote for him, once I get a better handle on his policies. But putting him alongside Trump reminds me of Archie Bunker and his son-in-law Mike.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:32 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,597,568 times
Quote:
Pete B. finally announces. Crowd for his rally is far far larger than those for the other Democrats. And keep in mind, it was cold & raining too.

https://twitter.com/PeteButtigieg/st...51233646776322

(not surprising, given that we are talking about Democrats, some alleged "secret" tapes have surfaced)
Everyone says that. Trump constantly says that, even when he's forced to bus paid "supporters" in for an event.

What's missing is the # of people there, and how many the other candidates are drawing.

I like Mayor Pete, but...we need to get back to speaking reality, far from the madding crowd of Trump fantasy land.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:04 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,660,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
What's missing is the # of people there, and how many the other candidates are drawing.....
So if you feel that it's missing, then add to it.

I've posted what the crowds that some of the other candidates are getting these days. Buttigieg is beating them all right now.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:16 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,100,466 times
The winner of the Democrats field will be decided by who wins the primaries in Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania. Those are the three states the Dems need to beat Trump in so whoever wins there will get more support going forward

Old 04-19-2019, 09:45 AM

3,074 posts, read 1,305,112 times
No. This country isn’t ready yet to elect a gay president. He will also eventually get exposed as being way more left than he portrays himself to be

Old 04-19-2019, 09:46 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,822,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Could it be that some people are really just interested in stirring the pot? So if it suits their purpose to be on threads fervently supporting Trump that is fine and if they start threads like this one, being somewhat positive about Mayor Pete that works also. Whatever helps keep the discussions going and the anger level on the upside.

Just musing.
I remember a lot of Republicans were rooting for Obama in the 2008 Democratic primary. I was one of them. I voted McCain in the general.

Mayor Pete is like Obama in that he has a quality that will be extremely polarizing and will inflame Republicans. For Obama I believe it was his Muslim-sounding name moreso than his skin color. For Pete it's his sexual orientation. Also like Obama, Pete is energetic and resonates with Millennials while older baby boomers are turned off to him.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELMO45 View Post
No. This country isn’t ready yet to elect a gay president. He will also eventually get exposed as being way more left than he portrays himself to be
It really sucks because other than his sexual orientation, Mayor Pete is exactly what the Dems need right now.

Many leftist positions such as Medicare for All are popular with Americans as a whole. Just not with Trump supporters.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:16 AM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,673,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I remember a lot of Republicans were rooting for Obama in the 2008 Democratic primary. I was one of them. I voted McCain in the general.

Mayor Pete is like Obama in that he has a quality that will be extremely polarizing and will inflame Republicans. For Obama I believe it was his Muslim-sounding name moreso than his skin color. For Pete it's his sexual orientation. Also like Obama, Pete is energetic and resonates with Millennials while older baby boomers are turned off to him.
I agree that it would be an interesting general election if it was Pete vs Trump. There are a solid 35% who are in Trump's camp to the end, no matter who the opponent is. And there are the 35% who would vote for a head of lettuce before they would for Trump. The battle will be for the remaining 30% and it will be interesting to see if fear or hope wins out in that area. And which side does the best job of driving turnout will be really important as they can't afford to have anyone sitting out this one.

As for me personally, I am on old baby boomer white man. Planned to vote for McCain/Lieberman in 2008; then got crossed up when Palin got the VP spot. Could not stomach her being anywhere near the possibility of being President. Had no problem with voting for Romney in 2012; I still think that he would have done a good job.

My first choices in 2016 would have been Kasich/Bush/Rubio; just not Trump or Clinton. Shoot, I might have voted for Carly Fiorina before those two. Wound up holding my nose and voting for Clinton; then took a shower.

Coming up tho 2020; I think that Trump is a lousy President and a lousy human being. So whoever runs against him will most likely get my vote. I have a hard time imagining who would be bad enough to not get my vote. Still way early, but Pete, Amy Klobuchar and Tim Ryan have piqued my interest.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Yep. It's "His Turn".
Not super happy with Biden. He seems too much like a McCain, Romney, or Kerry, but I will vote for him if he's the nominee. I think Biden would lose to any other Republican but to Trump I'm not so sure. I think he'll do better in the Rust Belt than Hillary did, especially when you account for the likely much increased turnout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections