Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Mayor Pete have any shot at becoming the nominee?
Yes 84 47.19%
No 94 52.81%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 12:26 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 29 days ago)

29,589 posts, read 16,568,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Every time Pete does an interview, a townhall, gives a speech, he has a surge in followers. He is very impressive.

Four of Obama's ambassador's endorsed him and I'm pretty sure Obama's people have been working for him. I think that is one reason Biden hasn't announced--I'm not sure he would have Obama's endorsement. This may be irrelevant to the Trump base, but it's big in Demland.

Buttigieg will be doing a Fox News townhall--so even more people will get to know and admire him. Fox News has discovered Democrats bring in big ratings.
Its not that big. Martin O'Malley had a team made up mostly of Obama people, and even some former Clinton people and it did nothing for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Dear this was the point made...
The winner of the Democrats field will be decided by who wins the primaries in Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania.
Obviously there was no need to mention the one that Hillary won.
As I said in my post, the OP's point doesn't make sense.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
True.

Is that why you think Pete stands a good chance of winning the nomination?

For sure, any mid-westerner Democrat won't be flying over either state in 2020 like Hillary did.

That was one big reason why I voted for her so reluctantly, but it was an even bigger mistake than I thought it was.
There is a 2 fold problem with the bold.

1. Neither candidate went to Wisconsin(i think both had 3 official visits).
2. Clinton went to Michigan just as many times a trump and went to Pennsylvania more times than Trump.

the narrative that Clinton skipped those 3 states in context with Trump is a lie.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:57 PM

8,506 posts, read 8,814,710 times
I thought the bigger issue was campaign ad spending in those states, especially late.

Old 04-19-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
I thought the bigger issue was campaign ad spending in those states, especially late.
Within the Democratic Party, Much of the problem was Sanders telling his supporters not to donate to the DNC or DCCC.

People forget that money gets spread around. If the DNC doesnt get enough money, that means you cant open local county offices that register voters, phone bank, and canvass for candidates.

This is why Sanders is a no go for a lot of Democratic workers and volunteers .

Old 04-19-2019, 01:22 PM

8,506 posts, read 8,814,710 times
Buttigieg reportedly has the second most big money bundlers from Clinton and Obama, behind Harris. And he might pass her. Not clear yet with Biden.

Old 04-19-2019, 01:24 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,664,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Buttigieg reportedly has the second most big money bundlers from Clinton and Obama, behind Harris. And he might pass her. Not clear yet with Biden.

Rumors are that the Democrat money makers have told Biden they won't raise money for him. But Biden has a long long history with the political establishment elite. No doubt he's got a lot of favors to call in.

Still I don't think the party will line up behind him like they did Hillary.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:57 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,381,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post

And here's a prediction. If the Democrats go with an 80 year old career establishment politician or a leftist loon identity politics, they are going to lose badly to Trump. Dismissing Pete B. because he's Gay or young or not his turn, is a very bad move for them.
I can’t believe it, but I actually agree with you.

At this point, Mayor Pete is making very few mistakes. He rises to the occasion. I enjoyed seeing him answer a French reporter in French, with a good accent, the other day.

Last edited by staywarm2; 04-19-2019 at 09:05 PM..

Old 04-19-2019, 09:03 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,381,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
But what makes you think he is the only one who can win vs Trump ?

If its because of being a "career politician", then isnt that just as shallow as the things you claimed for why some would shun Pete for ?

Shouldnt the argument always be to vote for the person with the best ideas ?

And if so, for example, Biden and Pete dont seem so ideologically a part that you can dismiss one and not the other, or take one seriously and not the other.
Biden is too old, has too many decisions in the far past that don’t fly today, and too many hugs of young women on tape.

Mayor Pete’s line that in 2054 he “will be the same age that Trump is now” is excellent. Pete is energetic and makes Trump (and Biden) look like a doddering old man.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:14 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,673,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Biden is too old, has too many decisions in the far past that don’t fly today, and too many hugs of young women on tape.

Mayor Pete’s line that in 2054 he “will be the same age that Trump is now” is excellent. Pete is energetic and makes Trump (and Biden) look like a doddering old man.
Just imagine Mayor Pete and Trump in a debate. I would pay an entry fee to see that!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections