Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Mayor Pete have any shot at becoming the nominee?
Yes 84 47.19%
No 94 52.81%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 11:06 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I remember a lot of Republicans were rooting for Obama in the 2008 Democratic primary. I was one of them. I voted McCain in the general.

Mayor Pete is like Obama in that he has a quality that will be extremely polarizing and will inflame Republicans. For Obama I believe it was his Muslim-sounding name moreso than his skin color. For Pete it's his sexual orientation. Also like Obama, Pete is energetic and resonates with Millennials while older baby boomers are turned off to him.
Obama rocketed to political stardom when he dared challenge the Clinton political machine and beat the pants suit off her in Iowa. That should have been a huge warning to the Democrats then that Hillary was an extremely flawed candidate. When it got to the NC Primary, and I was still a registered Democrat, I voted for Obama over Hillary because I knew she was bad news. That race by the way was the one which put him over the top for the nomination.

Then Obama was incredibly lucky. He was pitted against the equally flawed John McCain who was nominated simply because it was "his turn". I voted for Obama because there was some hope for change over the war mongering McCain. I was sadly disappointed when this didn't happen.

People are tied of these career establishment politicians like McCain, Hillary & Biden. This is why the Democrat party are turning elsewhere. And right now that "elsewhere" is Pete B. Beh Toe has already flamed out and the rest, more of the same.

Bernie has his supporters, but in the end, he will flame out too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
The winner of the Democrats field will be decided by who wins the primaries in Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania. Those are the three states the Dems need to beat Trump in so whoever wins there will get more support going forward

Hillary lost the Michigan and Wisconsin primaries.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:27 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
True.

Is that why you think Pete stands a good chance of winning the nomination?

For sure, any mid-westerner Democrat won't be flying over either state in 2020 like Hillary did.

That was one big reason why I voted for her so reluctantly, but it was an even bigger mistake than I thought it was.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:02 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,543 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Obama rocketed to political stardom when he dared challenge the Clinton political machine and beat the pants suit off her in Iowa. That should have been a huge warning to the Democrats then that Hillary was an extremely flawed candidate. When it got to the NC Primary, and I was still a registered Democrat, I voted for Obama over Hillary because I knew she was bad news. That race by the way was the one which put him over the top for the nomination.

Then Obama was incredibly lucky. He was pitted against the equally flawed John McCain who was nominated simply because it was "his turn". I voted for Obama because there was some hope for change over the war mongering McCain. I was sadly disappointed when this didn't happen.

People are tied of these career establishment politicians like McCain, Hillary & Biden. This is why the Democrat party are turning elsewhere. And right now that "elsewhere" is Pete B. Beh Toe has already flamed out and the rest, more of the same.

Bernie has his supporters, but in the end, he will flame out too.
Are you going t vote for Pete over Trump ?

Old 04-19-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Is that why you think Pete stands a good chance of winning the nomination?

I already said why. He isn't crazy. He isn't part of this mess either.

https://media1.s-nbcnews.com/j/newsc....fit-2000w.jpg

Old 04-19-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
But she won Pennsylvania, which was also mentioned and you ignored.

I can see all 3 splitting between candidates, negating the point entirely.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Are you going t vote for Pete over Trump ?

I have not decided who I am voting for in 2020. That's still 1.5 years away. But Pete B. is the ONLY democrat I'd consider over Trump. And if you can get me to say that, then I'm sure there are others.

But here's a promise, I'll answer your question a year from now if he's still in the running.

And here's a prediction. If the Democrats go with an 80 year old career establishment politician or a leftist loon identity politics, they are going to lose badly to Trump. Dismissing Pete B. because he's Gay or young or not his turn, is a very bad move for them.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
But she won Pennsylvania, which was also mentioned and you ignored.

I can see all 3 splitting between candidates, negating the point entirely.
Dear this was the point made...
The winner of the Democrats field will be decided by who wins the primaries in Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania.
Obviously there was no need to mention the one that Hillary won.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
I have not decided who I am voting for in 2020. That's still 1.5 years away. But Pete B. is the ONLY democrat I'd consider over Trump. And if you can get me to say that, then I'm sure there are others.

But here's a promise, I'll answer your question a year from now if he's still in the running.

And here's a prediction. If the Democrats go with an 80 year old career establishment politician or a leftist loon identity politics, they are going to lose badly to Trump. Dismissing Pete B. because he's Gay or young or not his turn, is a very bad move for them.
But what makes you think he is the only one who can win vs Trump ?

If its because of being a "career politician", then isnt that just as shallow as the things you claimed for why some would shun Pete for ?

Shouldnt the argument always be to vote for the person with the best ideas ?

And if so, for example, Biden and Pete dont seem so ideologically a part that you can dismiss one and not the other, or take one seriously and not the other.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:19 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Every time Pete does an interview, a townhall, gives a speech, he has a surge in followers. He is very impressive.

Four of Obama's ambassador's endorsed him and I'm pretty sure Obama's people have been working for him. I think that is one reason Biden hasn't announced--I'm not sure he would have Obama's endorsement. This may be irrelevant to the Trump base, but it's big in Demland.

Buttigieg will be doing a Fox News townhall--so even more people will get to know and admire him. Fox News has discovered Democrats bring in big ratings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections