Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Mayor Pete have any shot at becoming the nominee?
Yes 84 47.19%
No 94 52.81%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 03:20 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,624,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Why are you giving credence to someone whose argument is to accuse someone of a LSD trip? That's messed up. Of course we know you completely ignore that with your outrage.
I should have known it would sail over your head. The point is, reading your gibberish makes me feel as though I'm having an LSD flashback.

Maybe when I'm responding to you I should post in Russian, so you don't have any translation issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 03:39 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,641,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I keep saying. He's the Democrat's best chance at beating Trump. There aren't many Democrats who will say that.
I agree with you, I think that Buttigieg will actually get a lot of votes from moderates and could beat Trump in the next election!

Old 04-17-2019, 03:52 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,254,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
I agree with you, I think that Buttigieg will actually get a lot of votes from moderates and could actually beat Trump in the next election!
Oh--I think it is very possible. People are starved for a mature adult who is basically the polar opposite of Trump--the embodiment of negativity, nastiness and massive ignorance.

Buttigieg crowds are growing by leaps and bounds. The only thing people (ignorant people) are bashing him for or holding against him is that he is gay. And that is not a real problem other than for bigots. I can't remember all the times I heard--"this country will not elect a black president" during the Obama campaign.

Buttigieg is going to go a long way--he's a rare commodity in politics these days. Objective, intelligent, highly educated, experienced in military service, a good religious person, secure in his identity, can fight without insulting anyone, experienced problem solver, inspirational speaker, and really really nice guy. Oh and he's not dragging an extended obnoxious family of grifters with him. He's a Trump nightmare.

Old 04-17-2019, 04:27 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 19 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,533,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Examples? Are these statewide seats or fed/state seats that are voted by a subset of state voters within a specific region (for example, a US Rep).
Colorado has a gay governor
Michigan has a gay attorney general
Arizona has a gay senator
Wisconsin has a gay senator

Old 04-17-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. In-between View Post
i should have known it would sail over your head. The point is, reading your gibberish makes me feel as though i'm having an lsd flashback.

Maybe when i'm responding to you i should post in russian, so you don't have any translation issues.
lol

Old 04-17-2019, 05:45 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,096,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
I should have known it would sail over your head. The point is, reading your gibberish makes me feel as though I'm having an LSD flashback.

Maybe when I'm responding to you I should post in Russian, so you don't have any translation issues.
That was funny.

Old 04-17-2019, 05:45 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,477,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Thanks. That's very promising. Good news for Mayor Pete. Maybe he has a chance in swing states if he's the D nominee.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:50 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,611,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
That was funny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post

HaHa LSD & Russians. So you guys had your fun with me. I'm used to it when you lose it over the facts. facts. And the original post that got you all so worked up you resort to such ad hominem and talking about Russian bogymen is this.

The 2018 election was a disaster for the Democrats and a dream come true for Trump. They spent an absolute fortune. Lost all their "must have" very very expensive races. And have now turned the US House into a clown show that Trump will have a field day with come 2020.

That is the real funny thing here. Bet you guys aren't laughing at that reality.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:05 PM

2,814 posts, read 2,280,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Yeah, but the presidency is whole different level in terms of attention to your personal life. I doubt most people can name their governors spouse, let alone their state AG. Plus, Fox News/the broader conservative media don't focus on vilifying the candidates for these races.

The analogy can be made to women. Most states have elected women to statewide office, yet there is still some resistance to the idea of a female president. Most not an overt "I don't want a women president", but more of a subtle easier to make "not relatable or likable" type of thing.

Now of course a gay president can happen, just like a black or a female president. But, it will be more of a net negative than a positive. The gay vote is relatively small and already votes heavily democratic so the upside is relatively small. And the downside may not be as big as it would have been 20-30 years ago. But, there will be some people who are uncomfortable with the idea of voting for a gay man as president. Many of these voters will already be voting republican. But, there are still some socially conservative democratic voters (see black + latino evangelical voters) that maybe less inclined to turn out and it may help republicans drive up white evangelical turn out a bit.

These are likely to be marginal, but in a close election a marginal shift can matter.

Last edited by jpdivola; 04-17-2019 at 07:13 PM..

Old 04-17-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Yeah, but the presidency is whole different level in terms of attention to your personal life. I doubt most people can name their governors spouse, let alone their state AG. Plus, Fox News/the broader conservative media don't focus on vilifying the candidates for these races.
When you include the prison population and those not registered to vote, you get about 48% turnout
The analogy can be made to women. Most states have elected women to statewide office, yet there is still some resistance to the idea of a female president. Most not an overt "I don't want a women president", but more of a subtle easier to make "not relatable or likable" type of thing. [/quote]

I think most people who vote for AG can name their AG. We arent talking about the public at large, we are talking about the 55% of the adult public that actually votes.

[quote]Now of course a gay president can happen, just like a black or a female president. But, it will be more of a net negative than a positive. The gay vote is relatively small and already votes heavily democratic so the upside is relatively small. And the downside may not be as big as it would have been 20-30 years ago. But, there will be some people who are uncomfortable with the idea of voting for a gay man as president. Many of these voters will already be voting republican. But, there are still some socially conservative democratic voters (see black + latino evangelical voters) that maybe less inclined to turn out and it may help republicans drive up white evangelical turn out a bit.

You have a right to this opinion, Im not even saying you are wrong about who it drives out, and who it hurts. the AG in Michigan had the lowest turnout and closest margin of any statewide office in the State.

But who is to say that you dont see a greater effect, like those evangelicals causing people on the left who stay home to finally come out and vote(like Obama did), or run moderates away from the Republicans and into the arms of the Dems ?

Either way, Blue and purple states seem to be ok with electing gay candidates state wide. Heck Sinema got more votes than Hillary did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections