Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Mayor Pete have any shot at becoming the nominee?
Yes 84 47.19%
No 94 52.81%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 06:32 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,368,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
you mean according to my post. LOL

I could have been lying for all you know.
Waldo is a Right-Winger. Why is she/he touting Pete.

Makes me wonder...bot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 06:33 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,806,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post

Makes me wonder...bot?

I was just thinking the same thing.

I think it's because if Pete is nominated, Trump is pretty much 100% guaranteed to win a second term.

Old 04-18-2019, 06:43 PM

2,814 posts, read 2,280,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
By most, you mean roughly 60%.

That still leaves about 40% and thats a large group. And in the deep South, I would say its closer to 50%. I think some define homophobia as marching in the streets to outlaw gay people, and that just isnt what homophobia is. Its more complicated than that.

I tend to agree. It reminds me of the debates over sexism toward female candidates. Few is any people object to a female president in theory or "hate" women. But, there is a sense that there are probably a small number of "gettable" swing voters that would be less likely to vote for a female/gay candidate for president.

Now, obviously candidate quality matters far more than anything else and a gay or female candidate can obviously win. A black man with a muslim name certainly wasn't what the "safest" choice, but he was the best choice and was reelected twice. So by all means vote for Buttigieg if he is the best candidate. But, lets acknowledge there is likely to challenges to being the first openly gay presidential candidate.

Old 04-18-2019, 06:55 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,611,213 times
It's fascinating that hard core Democrats don't want Mayor Pete simply because he's Gay. He should be their dream candidate. Midwest appeal, military veteran, well spoken, young, good looking, friendly. Yet no go because he's Gay.

Well, they have always pandered to Gays & Lesbians, never actually having done anything for them.

Old 04-18-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post

Makes me wonder...bot?
Staywarm don't project your personal issues onto others. You have already said that you hate Trump and anyone who supports Trump.

I am gong to discuss the Democrat nomination just like anyone else. And I won't be casting hate in the process. If you can't figure it out or don't like it, that's your issue.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:01 PM

780 posts, read 425,120 times
I like Pete's messaging so far, and I'm interested to see what other novel ideas he may have. He's new blood, and a hard working American who's dedicated his life to public service his entire career.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I was just thinking the same thing. I think it's because if Pete is nominated, Trump is pretty much 100% guaranteed to win a second term.

Pete is the Democrats ONLY chance for beating Trump. The rest of the losers stand no chance at all.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:03 PM

He's a dark horse for sure. But he represents the next gen. If we get out to vote, I certainly think he does. It's our turn to take the reins.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
It's fascinating that hard core Democrats don't want Mayor Pete simply because he's Gay. He should be their dream candidate. Midwest appeal, military veteran, well spoken, young, good looking, friendly. Yet no go because he's Gay.

Well, they have always pandered to Gays & Lesbians, never actually having done anything for them.
I'm an independent and I think Pete is great so far.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:06 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,368,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Staywarm don't project your personal issues onto others. You have already said that you hate Trump and anyone who supports Trump.

I am gong to discuss the Democrat nomination just like anyone else. And I won't be casting hate in the process. If you can't figure it out or don't like it, that's your issue.
I said I hate Trump but never said I hate anyone who supports Trump. I do wonder about their sanity though, but don’t hate them.

I don’t care which candidate you support. But I sure wonder if you are from Russia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections