Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Mayor Pete have any shot at becoming the nominee?
Yes 84 47.19%
No 94 52.81%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 10:07 AM

1,874 posts, read 817,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
He's still a white guy. Thumbs down.
apparently he doesn't get the racist vote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 10:53 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,196,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
So no chief executive experience beyond the town of South Bend, and his qualifications are: young, gay and served 7 months in the Naval Reserve.

Oh, and because he's young and gay, apparently, that gives him the Millennial vote, which is a sophomoric insult to all Millennial voters who apparently vote based on how many cliche boxes a person checks off.

Freaking identity politics at its finest.
re: the bolded, nope, he's been a Naval Reserve member for about 10 years. He served 7 months active duty in Afghanistan.

Whether that and the rest of his experience qualifies him to be president is of course still a judgement call, but actual facts please, not dismissive non-facts.

Old 01-23-2019, 11:05 AM

13,946 posts, read 5,619,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Is "chief executive experience" just a euphemism for career politician?
To people who still think voting matters, resume matters. His is anorexic it's so thin. Idiotic identity voters and virtue signalers might find his almost complete lack of experience acceptable because he checks off two "cool to vapid young people" boxes, but actual Democrat faithful might need a bit more than that.

Old 01-23-2019, 11:21 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,818,209 times
Quote:
So no chief executive experience beyond the town of South Bend, and his qualifications are: young, gay and served 7 months in the Naval Reserve.

Oh, and because he's young and gay, apparently, that gives him the Millennial vote, which is a sophomoric insult to all Millennial voters who apparently vote based on how many cliche boxes a person checks off.

True about the identity politics.

He doesn't need "chief executive experience." But he needs to offer more than being young and gay. He's just another passenger in the Democrat clown car.

Old 01-23-2019, 03:01 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,798,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
He's not officially running for president yet. As of now, he is forming an exploratory committee to run for president.

He turned South Bend Indiana around and revitalized the city. He is very intelligent and a good leader, he's charismatic, communicates well and knows how to get things done.

He's a Rhodes Scholar and Ivy League educated.

He's got got the "it" factor that many candidates don't have.

He probably won't win as the D nominee, but his name will be more well known and he'll probably advance into a more national role in the future.

He'll be one of the faces of the future of the Democratic party. Young blood is needed and he's going to be one of them.

Here's his background:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Buttigieg

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...tory-committee
Agree he is probably running for 2028 and getting his name out there now.

First I ever heard of him.

Old 01-23-2019, 03:41 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,576,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
So what? Does being white and male mean he's not a good candidate? Here's the thing. I'm a gay half Indian woman who has every reason to vote for Kamala Harris in terms of identity. But I don't vote based on identity politics. And people shouldn't. Maybe Harris is the best candidate, maybe not. But being a woman doesn't mean she should get the job. Should we have a woman president someday? Probably. But estrogen, sexuality, and/or ethnicity isn't a reason to vote for someone. A person should vote for someone based on their qualifications, character, and desire to help the country (if such a person exists).

Agreed! Which is why I voted for President Trump in 2016, and, if he runs again, will vote for him in 2020

Old 01-23-2019, 03:50 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,196,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Agree he is probably running for 2028 and getting his name out there now.

First I ever heard of him.
I agree this is a quixotic run at best and more likely intended to create a presence on the national stage for future endeavors.

I heard him speak when he ran for DNC chair and I will say I was impressed, he had some interesting things to say and seems bright and personable. I don't think he'll go all that far in this cycle, but I would be surprised if it's the last we hear of him.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:07 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,611,213 times
From what I can see, of the lot of Democrats who have announced so far, he's far far more qualified.

That of course means that he doesn't stand a chance in today's DNC.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:36 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,516,886 times
Quote:

No one who voted for Trump should be allowed to let the words 'identify politics' escape their lips.

Whatever experience he has as Mayor and serving in the Reserve is still ten times more than the current reality show POTUS had .

Old 01-23-2019, 05:59 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,798,920 times
Buttigieg has spent time in Iowa and other battleground states in recent years as he tried to build financial support and name recognition. He cracks that those who do know his name still aren't sure how to pronounce it. (It's BOO'-tah-juhj.) Most of the time he goes by "Mayor Pete."

Source https://www.voanews.com/a/democratic...e/4755388.html

So he has been laying ground work already.

I know he is going to get harassed for doing such a short tour of duty... However he was already mayor of South Bend when he went in 2014. It is quite remarkable he went.

Unlike a certain someone who had magical bone spurs. People still voted for him despite his not serving at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections