Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Mayor Pete have any shot at becoming the nominee?
Yes 84 47.19%
No 94 52.81%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 12:47 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,806,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Worst in what way?

Worst as in qualities and potential quality as a President?

Or worst as it pertains to odds of beating Trump?
I’d say odds of beating Trump. Bernie and Warren are long shots but I think it would be easier for them than Buttigeig. America isn’t ready for an openly-LGBT President.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 01:21 PM

29,214 posts, read 22,351,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I’d say odds of beating Trump. Bernie and Warren are long shots but I think it would be easier for them than Buttigeig. America isn’t ready for an openly-LGBT President.
I am not so sure of that. It wasn't very long ago when no one thought a black President would ever be elected.

Attitudes about gays have changed a lot over this century. Once the laws that banned gays began to fall, so did much of the social resistance to them fell away.

Is America ready for a gay President? is a question that Buttigieg is testing right now for sure. He will be as good a test as any, I think, because from the little I know of him, that's about the only thing about the guy that is controversial.

He might be the one who pushes this issue just enough to win. There are a lot of social issues that, once pushed a bit, went away in the recent past. It's always depended on the person who pushed them and the timing.

Maybe the gay issue still has the power to crush a politician, but I tend to think the power's only there with a closeted gay who's afraid to come out. It appears that those with the courage to come out right from the first haven't been hurt by it lately.

Pete has bigger problems than his gayness. He's in a herd of unknowns, and that's something that will be harder to overcome. I think the larger question is if the voters will be ready to vote again for a dark-horse unknown.

So far, the voters have now chosen dark horses twice in a row with very mixed results. Will the voters still be searching for the just-right unknown, or are they looking for someone who's familiar? That's the question that is the largest, I think.

Old 03-25-2019, 04:42 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,697,090 times
He getting some buzz.

“South Bend, Ind., Mayor Pete Buttigieg (D) surged into third place in a poll of the Iowa caucus released Sunday.

Eleven percent of likely Democratic Iowa caucusgoers surveyed by Emerson Polling said they would pick Buttigieg to be their 2020 presidential nominee.”

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...-new-iowa-poll

Old 03-25-2019, 04:54 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,249,298 times
Buttigieg could win the nomination as a Carteresque clean outsider.

Old 03-25-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I am not so sure of that. It wasn't very long ago when no one thought a black President would ever be elected.

Attitudes about gays have changed a lot over this century. Once the laws that banned gays began to fall, so did much of the social resistance to them fell away.

Is America ready for a gay President? is a question that Buttigieg is testing right now for sure. He will be as good a test as any, I think, because from the little I know of him, that's about the only thing about the guy that is controversial.

He might be the one who pushes this issue just enough to win. There are a lot of social issues that, once pushed a bit, went away in the recent past. It's always depended on the person who pushed them and the timing.

Maybe the gay issue still has the power to crush a politician, but I tend to think the power's only there with a closeted gay who's afraid to come out. It appears that those with the courage to come out right from the first haven't been hurt by it lately.

Pete has bigger problems than his gayness. He's in a herd of unknowns, and that's something that will be harder to overcome. I think the larger question is if the voters will be ready to vote again for a dark-horse unknown.

So far, the voters have now chosen dark horses twice in a row with very mixed results. Will the voters still be searching for the just-right unknown, or are they looking for someone who's familiar? That's the question that is the largest, I think.
Is America ready for a gay President?

My answer is I think Buttigeig's election would spark the opening shots of the Second Civil War. If Trump loses, while it would be so fitting for him to lose to someone like Buttigeig, it's not what this country needs.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:55 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,666,203 times
Quote:
Is America ready for a gay President?

My answer is I think Buttigeig's election would spark the opening shots of the Second Civil War. If Trump loses, while it would be so fitting for him to lose to someone like Buttigeig, it's not what this country needs.

I don't think that there will be any civil war as a result of any election. Not if Buttigieg wins or if Trump is reelected. We will have the same problems of Dems and Trump if Trump wins again. On the other hand we might have a fresh approach to running the country with a Buttiegieg victory.

NZ is much smaller than USA but if NZ can have a 37 year old head of State, so can we.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
I don't think that there will be any civil war as a result of any election. Not if Buttigieg wins or if Trump is reelected. We will have the same problems of Dems and Trump if Trump wins again. On the other hand we might have a fresh approach to running the country with a Buttiegieg victory.

NZ is much smaller than USA but if NZ can have a 37 year old head of State, so can we.
But they don't have the US South/Bible Belt. Overall NZ is far more progressive socially than the US is.

My biggest fear is if Trump loses, you are going to see some secession movements in red states and unlike the ones that happened under Obama, these ones will have legs.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:22 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,096,810 times
Quote:
But they don't have the US South/Bible Belt. Overall NZ is far more progressive socially than the US is.

My biggest fear is if Trump loses, you are going to see some secession movements in red states and unlike the ones that happened under Obama, these ones will have legs.
There will be no states seceding nor civil ear just because some is 3lected or not elected President in this country

Old 03-25-2019, 09:46 PM

29,214 posts, read 22,351,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post

I don't think its possible to compare the United States to New Zealand. There are too many vast differences in just about everything to make such a comparison.

Old 03-26-2019, 07:44 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,611,213 times
Quote:

Hey, You are the only one here saying he can't win because he's Gay. We know where the real homophobia exists, and it isn't just present in a region of 120,000,000 people. Remember the last two Democrat nominees for President are both on record for opposing Gay Marriage. The current President, a Republican IS fighting for Gay rights across the globe.

So don't justify your anti-Gay remarks on Buttigieg by blaming it on the South. If the Democrats shelve this man because he's Gay, then they prove who the real bigots are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections