Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Mayor Pete have any shot at becoming the nominee?
Yes 84 47.19%
No 94 52.81%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 05:52 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,379,279 times

Advertisements

Tonight I watched Buttigieg being interviewed on TV. He is wonderful—smart, politically savvy, well educated, experienced as Mayor, warm, well-spoken, down-to-earth, veteran, handsome. He is 20 times as smart as Trump.

However, i am concerned whether a gay man can defeat Trump. Trump will call him nasty names and make fun of him. Trump will bring out the worst traits of his supporters. It’s too bad because Buttigieg would make a great President.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
We are a long way off from the primary.

If Trump is unopposed, in open primary states people will vote democratic.

If Weld really does run I suspect many will vote in the Republican primary. There is really not a dime's with of difference in all of the D candidates.

The big difference in Democratic candidates will be which one has the best chance of beating Trump. Dems want to win. Some candidates are more centrist and relatable than others, for example O’Rourke, Klobuchar and Buttigieg. Bernie and Biden (if he runs) are too old. Sadly, most likely a woman or a black won’t be nominated for President.

I’d like to see an O’Rourke/Klobuchar ticket. Beto has the energy, intelligence, and charisma, and Klobuchar has the experience as Senator, is very knowledgeable and well-spoken. Her policies are centrist and appealing (such as much needed infracture). They would make Trump and Pence look like doddering fools. Although I think Trump will dump Pence and choose for his VP, Lindsey Graham, who is arguably gay himself.

Last edited by staywarm2; 03-30-2019 at 06:17 PM..

Old 03-30-2019, 07:19 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
However, i am concerned whether a gay man can defeat Trump.
Wow Another Democrat disqualifying Pete Buttigieg because he's Gay.

Old 03-30-2019, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Wow Another Democrat disqualifying Pete Buttigieg because he's Gay.

Not disqualifying him at all. I would surely vote for him in a Presidential election. But I am realistic. So many people, especially men, seem to hate gays, that I am concerned that would hurt him with voters.

What you don’t seem to get is that Trump is going to have a hard time beating the Dem candidate, whoever is the one. Trump looks old and dumb. He doesn’t understand policy. Just look at how stupid he was this week to say the Repubs were going to have a replacement healthcare plan for Obamacare. They don’t have one, and since it’s inception have had no idea of a plan. Trump is a good marketer of himself and the naive believe him. But voters are smarter now and will be much more reluctant to vote for him again, especially Independents and moderate Repubs. Shutting the government down and now this phony healthcare “plan” will wake up all but his most diehard fans. He will waste our tax dollars running all over the country campaigning with his lies the next two years.

But Russians don’t understand that.

Last edited by staywarm2; 03-30-2019 at 07:51 PM..

Old 03-30-2019, 08:00 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,099,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Not disqualifying him at all. I would surely vote for him in a Presidential election. But I am realistic. So many people, especially men, seem to hate gays, that I am concerned that would hurt him with voters.

What you don’t seem to get is that Trump is going to have a hard time beating the Dem candidate, whoever is the one. Trump looks old and dumb. He doesn’t understand policy. Just look at how stupid he was this week to say the Repubs were going to have a replacement healthcare plan for Obamacare. They don’t have one, and since it’s inception have had no idea of a plan. Trump is a good marketer of himself and the naive believe him. But voters are smarter now and will be much more reluctant to vote for him again, especially Independents and moderate Repubs. Shutting the government down and now this phony healthcare “plan” will wake up all but his most diehard fans. He will waste our tax dollars running all over the country campaigning with his lies the next two years.

But Russians don’t understand that.
I agree with you that the Dems will end up with someone young on the ticket that’s why I don’t see Sanders nor Biden getting the nod. But it will be who does best in the Midwestern Great Lakes states they need to win for the Presidency. I think a woman and or a person of color will be in the ticket.

Trump will keep his current supporters but he will have a tough time getting past the 48% support he will need in those states. After his base most can see thru his act.

The question is will the Dems not kill themselves by going way Left.

Old 03-30-2019, 08:21 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,464,072 times
IDK, hes a mayor in a college town that is mostly depressed outside Notre Dame. I am not sure his policies carry much weight in the rust belt. Either way the Dems will have an uphill battle. Their slogan is basically we're not trump.

Old 03-30-2019, 08:33 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,382,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
I’m an Independent and I will be voting Democrat in 2020 and while I’m not sold on Beto I wouldn’t call him Center-Left
Yeah, he's definitely far left.

Old 03-30-2019, 08:35 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,382,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
IDK, hes a mayor in a college town that is mostly depressed outside Notre Dame. I am not sure his policies carry much weight in the rust belt. Either way the Dems will have an uphill battle. Their slogan is basically we're not trump.
It's not a college town if the college if you can say something like its economy "is mostly depressed outside [the college]".

Old 03-31-2019, 04:30 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,281,167 times
Who???

Old 03-31-2019, 09:12 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,713,726 times
Buttigieg is not going to win. Sorry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections