Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2022, 07:34 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,930,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
There’s no guarantee that the vote in Kansas says abortion will save Democrats in the fall, but it certainly gives them hope.

The key to the Kansas victory was unprecedented turnout. If the D’s have secret weapon that could save them this fall and tip the scales in their direction in the future, it’s the support for Democrats among younger voters. The problem is that younger voters tend to vote in lower numbers, particularly in off-year elections. Support for legal abortion is highest among the younger generations. If, and it’s certainly a big if, the Supremes overthrow of Roe is the final straw that galvanizes younger voters to political action, the long-term effects could be monumental.

In the latest Pew Survey on abortion, 74% of those ages 18-29 support legalized abortion.

https://www.pewresearch.org/religion...ould-be-legal/
Unlikely that this unprecedented outcome in a red state will cause a mass shift to Democrats in the fall of 2022. But there could be some surprises in store for Republicans.

When Americans realize that they are losing rights and freedoms, they will react - just like they did in Kansas. SCOTUS overturning Roe is just the beginning. We all know Justice Clarence Thomas has argued that the Supreme Court “should reconsider” its past rulings on contraception access, same-sex relationships and same-sex marriage. It's coming.

This is the reason why the Trump Republicans are working fast and furious to get Big Lie promoters into state legislatures and secretaries of state wherever they can, to be ready at the State level to take every possible advantage of our weak election systems in order to control the outcome in key races.

It looks very likely that they will succeed - surely in the Deep South, and probably in the Midwestern Red states. They understand well that the shift back from the far Right to the center is coming, whether this year or in 5 or 10 years. For this reason, they cannot abide free elections or fair representation. They will not hesitate to do whatever it takes to keep their power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2022, 08:00 AM

5,296 posts, read 5,244,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post
Sorry to all the libs here but I don't think the Kansas vote is a sign of happy days for the dems in Nov. Single issue voters won't carry the day when there are so many pressing/depressing issues for voters to focus on. It's entirely possible, even probable, that voters can vote to keep abortion viable but still not want to go along with the whole democrat craziness that is being pushed.

Kansas was the perfect example of why the Supreme Court decision was so important. It allows each state to determine for itself how it wants to handle abortion. Maybe we can escape the hysterical cries and threats and violence the left has been pushing over this decision. See, lefties? This is the way it should work. Each state will decide abortion rights.

Personally, I would have no problem at all if every state put abortion on the ballot for the citizens to decide. I would bet the strong majority would allow abortion in many cases. Then, maybe the madness of zealots on both sides would stop and the voters can make their choices on the everyday issues that most affect us all, such as the economy, health care, schools, illegal immigration, etc.
Republican led legislatures after seeing what happened in KS will do all they can not to allow that to happen...they know it's a losing issue for them yet they are so beholden to the crazies on the right that they have to push these bans...

Old 08-04-2022, 08:02 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,297,448 times
Quote:
Ever since the Roe v. Wade decision, Republicans have used the abortion issue to attract support from (mostly) white evangelical Christians and ethnic Catholics and to paint Democrats as baby-killers. It was a perfect issue in that no one ever expected the Court to reverse its decision, so Republican candidates up and down the ballot could pledge allegiance to the cause secure in the knowledge that the cause was forever lost. GOP political consultants compared the abortion issue to a dog chasing a car. The dog would bark and run and bark and run but it would never catch the car.
And then it did.

https://newsitems.substack.com/p/kan...m_medium=email

Old 08-04-2022, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
I'm still not getting this misreading by democrats.

Contrary to popular Fake News, the SCOTUS did NOT ban abortion.

It sent it back to the states.

Kansas just voted to keep the abortion rights in their state's constitution. JUST AS THE SCOTUS DECISION PROVIDES FOR!

If anything, this shows people that abortion IS NOT illegal UNLESS a state's people want it to be. "Republicans" believe in states rights and the will of their people, not in unilateral "rights" made up by 9 justices.

This likely helps the misconception that abortion is now banned in the USA.
Except Republican legislatures that go against the will of the people such as here in Ohio or Texas who have enacted legislation to ban it...this is the first time the people actually got to decide...Repubs have decided for us in these other states.

Old 08-04-2022, 08:08 AM

3,162 posts, read 2,215,339 times
Some of the messaging around this amendment was effective in appealing to voters who aren't necessarily liberal or willing to vote for Democrats. Many less extreme conservative voters don't look favorably on government mandates, even if they dislike abortion personally and can't see themselves or their families ever opting for the procedure. Americans in the center-left to center-right of the political spectrum tend to prefer government that performs the basics competently and doesn't overreach or interfere with individuals' personal lives.

Old 08-04-2022, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I don’t think it is. I can’t stand Democrats, but I think abortion should be legal although rare. Had I been a voter in Kansas, I would have voted to keep abortion legal in Kansas. Doesn’t mean I’m going to show up to vote for Demcorats in November.
So would you vote for Repubs that advocate banning abortion?

Old 08-04-2022, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I think it shows what many of us know - that when voters are voting simply on the issue of abortion, a majority will favor keeping it legal early in the term and later if medically necessary [or in cases of rape]. The question still remains, in the case of more general elections such as for state representative, how much will voters weigh a candidate's platform on abortion? In that case voters have to weigh multiple policy issues. So it becomes more complicated. But as poll after poll show, Americans generally support keeping abortion widely available in early pregnancy. Let's see if our "representatives" follow through.
I have no faith that GOP legislatures will do that...look at TX, MS, OH and so many others

Old 08-04-2022, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Well, this is exactly what the decision in Dobbs was meant to promote. A vote in each individual state on the issue of abortion.

BTW I've never thought the 'issue' of abortion should be part of any political platform. This is a decision to be made between a woman, her doctor and her God.

That said, I do find the idea of very late term abortions a bit abhorrent but many people do. I guess we'll see how this plays out.
Of course this is the only state that has allowed to have a true vote on abortion rights...how easy is it to get something onto the ballots in these states to potentially override these vile GOP bans on the procedure?

Old 08-04-2022, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
OP, what you are missing is that things aren't as simple minded as red vs. blue.

The state had a democratic governor that served in Obama admin.

On a lone issue like this you're seeing a lot of Repub voters that aren't socially far-right and view this as a liberty issue.

I know, I know, mind blowing to be an issues voter or even conceive of the concept.
Those Repub voters that see this as a liberty issue, will they hold their reps accountable to protect a woman's right to choose? What will they do to a GOP rep votes to ban abortion?

Old 08-04-2022, 11:15 AM

13,460 posts, read 4,297,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
They will not hesitate to do whatever it takes to keep their power.

Sounds awfully more like Democrats and power. Democrats are the one that needs a big government to pass their agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections