Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2008, 07:17 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,492,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc View Post
I'm trying to come up with solutions to spark peoples creative thinking instead of complaining and that's irrational?

What's your solution? Leave it as is right?
More police officers? Better laws for criminal gun activity? I was not saying you in particular are irrational.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 07:18 AM

18,359 posts, read 26,520,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
and you need assault weapons for what reason?
Define what an "assault weapon" is and explain to me why the government has any authority to ban them.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:18 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,543,889 times
Quote:
Gosh, I guess when thugs break in someone's house w/ an AK-47, the homeowner might wish he had an UZI.

I surely wish I had an Uzi.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Umm... Banning guns don't take away guns from anyone but law abiding citizens which means the criminals would have the assault rifles.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:19 AM

18,359 posts, read 26,520,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc View Post
I don't have a problem with guns it's the availability of the ammunition that's the issue. The politicians need to address that before the guns. Without bullets gun no worky. That used to be the topic some years back but it never went anywhere.
Won't work, I can make my own ammunition, even down to the primers and powder. And what makes you think the SCOTUS wouldn't see through that blatant attempt at a backdoor ban/infringement?

Old 10-10-2008, 07:22 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,543,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Won't work, I can make my own ammunition, even down to the primers and powder. And what makes you think the SCOTUS wouldn't see through that blatant attempt at a backdoor ban/infringement?
Agree. And anyway - dealing w/ ammo is just like dealing w/ illegal guns - one can get ammo from other countries and smuggle it in. Or buy it on the black market - just like the thugs buy the guns NOW.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:22 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,980,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Who said anything about whitey? Are you making this racial?
Dude, the other person inferred that Obama is going to take away whitey's guns. That was what I was commenting on.

I still stand by the fact that Obama will likely reenact the "assault rifle ban" and make minor extras on restricting gun rights, but will certainly not outright ban bolt action/low cap semi rifles nor handguns.

Since I don't have a dog in this hunt for president, I invite others to accept my viewpoint more readily than a McCainiac or Obamaton.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:23 AM

CRIME & GUN CONTROL

Voted against letting people argue self-defense in court if charged with violating local weapons bans by using a gun in their home. (2004)
Voted to let retired police and military police carry concealed weapons. (2004)
Successfully sponsored requirement that law enforcement videotape interrogations of suspects in some serious crimes. (2003)
Successfully sponsored law enforcement study of the race of people pulled over for traffic tickets. (2003)
Helped pass an overhaul of the state's troubled death penalty system. (2003)
Unsuccessfully sponsored measure to expunge some criminal records and create an employment grant program for ex-criminals. (2002)
Unsuccessfully sponsored limit of one handgun purchase per month. (2000)
Voted against making gang members eligible for the death penalty if they kill someone to help their gang. (2001)

Obama Record May Be Gold Mine For Critics, Eight Years As State Senator Were Full Of Controversial Votes, Including Abortion And Gun Control - CBS News

That does not tell you all you need to know?

Old 10-10-2008, 07:25 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,980,816 times
Quote:
An assault weapon gets a bad rap. It's a neutered version of an AK (or M4). Automatic receiver taken out and substituted for a semi-automatic. Requires at least 6 of 16 parts to be US made. Re-assembled here for the most part (exception being the Saiga AK/semi-shotgun made by the Russian factory and "sporterized").

An assault rifle is great for hunting and I like a rifle like the AK that will work even if it's dirty, muddy, or full of sand.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:26 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,304,946 times
WOW!!!! Just freakin' WOW!!!

Hadn't ventured into this area for awhile and am floored by the amount of ignorance that is present...

For starters, how can ANY McCain supporter or Republican DARE say a word about how Obama is going to take away rights and such...... We've seen more individual rights stripped away from us over the last 8 years than in any time in my life and you honestly are scared of Obama???

Just today a nice report came out about how the government has been listening in on our troops' calls home.... Yeah right.... FREEDOM!!!

So anyway, anyone trying to paint Obama as some hater of individual freedoms better find the door to their glass house and get outside before chucking those rocks...

To address the question, most people are buying guns because of the economy. I've never owned a gun myself and have considered it because I'm uncertain at the type of social chaos that might come about if our economy completely collapses.... I'd like to have the means to defend myself and my family.

And yes... I'm sure there are some ultra-conservative whack-jobs out there that are stocking up because they believe Obama is the anti-christ and think that more guns is the answer to combat his legions of unholy creatures...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections