Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 08:29 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,846,925 times

Advertisements

I didn't attack you, I attacked an idea. if you want to call what you said an idea. I have all my facts right lil miss huffington. I don't really consider wilmington too southern. 99% of the people who live here are from the smoldering cesspools of NY and NJ, who realized that with democrat dictatorship, the states became unlivable. I live at the beach son. I did refute you, and I made you look foolish. I said the simple time in america was when you weren't under the heavy hand of government. this isn't rocket science. government no longer allows you to live your life. they interfere in every aspect. this has nothing to do lynching and lemonade.

oh, and is there something wrong with people liking it when people speak english? does that make people racist? being able to place an order and understand what is being said. call me CRAZY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
You can run all the attacks on me you want. Just get the facts right, 'neck. You should know something about cesspools; your mind is a festering one. I notice you didn't, or couldn't refute what I said; a large number of people in the South (where you live, I believe), or in the North (where I live) would love to see us all revert to the fascist, backward rural America that I satirized in that post.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:34 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,017,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
The truth is that there are several "real Americas." One of the things I like about this nation is that we have the freedom to be mobile and live in the "real America" that matches our needs and philosophies. But, to imply one part of America is more "real" than another is bothers me.
Agree. There is much to love about everywhere in America.

Small towns are gems. I've talented pals in Akron, Cleveland and Cincinnati who can manufacture anything. Factories in Ohio formed the industrial heart of the nation, many still are but its been shrinking for too long. I've seen the superb products that come from PA and almost retired there. I've been to Manhattan and seen the BEST that civilization has to offer; wow, what a city. I've been to many states, all wonderful. The list is endless, everywhere is great because the people are great. Of course there are different vibes to be found in rural vs urban areas, and though the vibes may be quite different, it's all good.

Unfortunately, Palin is a rube, a rank amateur, who put her foot in her mouth and now has to pay the dues for being so green. She never should have accepted McCain's offer for the VP role, she is woefully unprepared, the nation knows it, and it shows up in the polls more every week. This fiasco has ruined her future, she'll end up in political history as a cartoon.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:34 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,078,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
I am not "Pro-football", that is I am not involved in it, go to games, watch it on TV, support the events, or root for any team. Am I Anti-Football or just... indifferent, unconcerned, not interested? Did you miss that relationship or was it intentional in order to take the position that you did?
Sure let's go with your logic (which is not really parallel, but ok)
So she was just saying that there are areas of the country where unconcerned, indifferent, and uninterested citizens who could not care less about America live? And where might they be?

Old 10-22-2008, 08:35 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,145,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
"You're not real" seems to be the new strategy. In the past few days I've been told that I'm not a real American, I'm not a real Virginian, and I'm not a real Christian. I think the theory is that if they keep trying to pretend I'm not real, that will mean my vote isn't real.

LOL, guess what--in 13 days you will find out my vote is very real, indeed.
These are the things that offend me. As a mostly Democrat (I actually voted for a few Republicans on Monday) I have been told that I cannot be a Christian, that I am anti-military, etc. etc. etc. None of that is true about me.

On Tuesday, after I voted, I was confronted by a co-worker who literally screamed at me (I was wearing my "I voted" sticker) and said something to the effect that she hoped I would be happy when Obama took her family's weapons away and made us unable to defend our homes. This is West Texas. Everyone has a weapon. Obama doesn't want to take them away, he just wants reasonable background checks etc. Besides, he can't do it. It is not in his power. But I am anti-gun because I voted Obama.

Last edited by JamesAbilene; 10-22-2008 at 08:54 AM..

Old 10-22-2008, 08:38 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,078,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Agree. There is much to love about everywhere in America.

The small farm towns are gems. I've talented pals in Akron and Cleveland and Cincinnati who can manufacture just about anything. I've seen the superb products that come from Pennsylvania and almost retired there. Factories in Ohio formed the industrial heart of the nation, many still are but its been shrinking for too long. I've been to Manhattan and seen the BEST that civilization has to offer; wow, what a city. I've been to many states, all wonderful. The list is endless, everywhere is great because the people are great. Of course there are different vibes to be found in rural vs urban areas, and though the vibes may be quite different, it's all good.

Unfortunately, Palin is a rube, a rank amateur, who put her foot in her mouth and now has to pay the dues for being so green. She never should have accepted McCain's offer for the VP role, she is woefully unprepared, the nation knows it, and it shows up in the polls more every week. This fiasco has ruined her future, she'll end up in political history as a cartoon.
Viva la difference and we are all real and wholly American. I have had the good fortune to live in the flashiest of cities Las Vegas and the smallest of towns outside Atwater Ca and on the panhandle of Florida. I have lived in condos, single family homes, on a dairy farm and in a a mobile home. I have lived in the woods, at the beach, in the snow mountains of NY and desert of Nevada. Guess what, all the people were basically the same. Hardworking, industrious, family and country loving folks.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:51 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I didn't attack you, I attacked an idea. if you want to call what you said an idea. I have all my facts right lil miss huffington. I don't really consider wilmington too southern. 99% of the people who live here are from the smoldering cesspools of NY and NJ, who realized that with democrat dictatorship, the states became unlivable. I live at the beach son. I did refute you, and I made you look foolish. I said the simple time in america was when you weren't under the heavy hand of government. this isn't rocket science. government no longer allows you to live your life. they interfere in every aspect. this has nothing to do lynching and lemonade.

oh, and is there something wrong with people liking it when people speak english? does that make people racist? being able to place an order and understand what is being said. call me CRAZY!
No, what you are doing here, and what you do as a normal tactic, is attacking. Problem is, your attacks render you vulnerable to the truth. It doesn't matter whether you think Wilmington is Southern or not. It is. Sorry I had to be the one to inform you.

Let me ask you a question. If the South, and Republicans, are so great, then why did your region and its way of thinking produce eight years of an Administration, which we are currently enduring, that has produced a collapse of the financial system, a quagmire of a screwed-up war in Iraq, an expansion of the health-care crisis, abuse of the Constitution, and educational system that is second-rate? Our wonderful Administration stood idly by while New Orleans was devastated by Hurricane Katrina. An entire major American city destroyed by a catastrophe, and the Republicans didn't have the slightest idea what to do about it, and they didn't give a damn about figuring it out.

I believe every American should be multilingual. Of course, America is an English-speaking country, but its monolingual/culturally isolationist bent is neither helping its image abroad nor helping improve its bottom line internationally. The majority of educated people abroad, especially in Europe and Africa, all speak more than one language proficiently. It is only provincial America that does not place such an emphasis on understanding the rest of the world. Language offerings in every secondary school should include at least one European language and one non-European language, and our children should be proficient in at least one of the available languages in order to graduate.

It's not rocket science.

And why would I care whether you live at the beach? Maybe a good hurricane will come by there and give you a great example of that Republican governing style you think is so effective.

An aside: Interestingly enough, my Congressman, Rush Holt, a Democrat from New Jersey, actually IS a rocket scientist. And his party will control both houses of Congress and the Executive Branch after Jan. 20, 2009. Get used to it.

You told me to call you crazy. I don't have to. Just read your madcap rants and form your own conclusions.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:59 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
I believe every American should be multilingual. Of course, America is an English-speaking country, but its monolingual/culturally isolationist bent is neither helping its image abroad nor helping improve its bottom line internationally. The majority of educated people abroad, especially in Europe and Africa, all speak more than one language proficiently. It is only provincial America that does not place such an emphasis on understanding the rest of the world. Language offerings in every secondary school should include at least one European language and one non-European language, and our children should be proficient in at least one of the available languages in order to graduate.
That is *real* progressive thinking.
What a concept--enriching intellect and education instead of scorning it.
This "we grow good people in small towns" schtick is so transparent, but for some it is easier to look to that bogus feel-good Morning in America fantasy rather than acknowledge the truthiness of our complicated and troubled situation.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:59 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
The people really looking for a handout are the financiers that screwed up the economy with their bubbles. No way do they want to lose their privilege by taking personal financial responsibility for their actions.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:10 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,942,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
well she was right. small town America is the real America.
Um, maybe in the 1950's.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:27 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,522,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise
I love things taken out of context and distorted. I think what she meant, was that small towns represent a slower pace. we do call it the "heartland" do we not? it represents a simpler time in american history. I tend to agree with that. I have lived in big cities most of my life and what it represented to me was anger, stress, fast pace, rude people, and high cost of living. that's not really the america I want to know. it's america sure, but I think her words were misconstrued.
But why use terms like "pro-American" and "anti-American" if what you really meant was "slow space lifestyle" and "fast pace lifestyle"? Are you saying those who live a fast paced lifestyle are anti-American? No, Palin's words were not misconstrued. She clealy was trying to divide Americans according to faux patriotism, not according to the density of road traffic. You are obviously the one who is distorting what Palin said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections