Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 04:55 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,919,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I love things taken out of context and distorted. I think what she meant, was that small towns represent a slower pace. we do call it the "heartland" do we not? it represents a simpler time in american history. I tend to agree with that. I have lived in big cities most of my life and what it represented to me was anger, stress, fast pace, rude people, and high cost of living. that's not really the america I want to know. it's america sure, but I think her words were misconstrued.
So if elected, the American people, foreign dignitaries, armed forces personnel, etc. will have to guess what Palin 'means' not what she says?

Old 10-21-2008, 05:00 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,861,363 times
no, I didn't say that. read my post again. I am saying that I understand what she is saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
A lot of people who live in the city love the city.
Are you saying they are not real Americans?

Different strokes for different folks.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:01 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,861,363 times
like a previous poster said, obama's remarks about guns and religion were taken out of context. if elected, will we have to guess what he means?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
So if elected, the American people, foreign dignitaries, armed forces personnel, etc. will have to guess what Palin 'means' not what she says?

Old 10-21-2008, 05:28 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,962,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
That "Real America" comment caught up with her. This will cost McCain another point or two in the polls.

Story: Palin apologizes for 'real America' comment - CNN.com
AC360 Story: Anderson Cooper 360: Blog Archive - “Real America” = “Two Americas” « - Blogs from CNN.com

She's a total amateur.

LANDSLIDE OBAMA
Seems like she was apologizing that people misunderstood. I guess she put too much faith in those big city people to understand, I guess they aren't as "intelligent" as they claim to be. Poor stupid people that they are.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:31 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,576,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Seems like she was apologizing that people misunderstood. I guess she put too much faith in those big city people to understand, I guess they aren't as "intelligent" as they claim to be. Poor stupid people that they are.
No, what she did is called "backpedaling". Read her quote again...for those of us who can comprehend it, it's very clear what she meant, she said it in plain words.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:32 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,919,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
like a previous poster said, obama's remarks about guns and religion were taken out of context. if elected, will we have to guess what he means?
Only if he starts talking like this,
Quote:
We have trade missions back and forth, we do. It’s very important when you consider even national security issues with Russia. As Putin rears his head and comes into the air space of the United States of America, where do they go? It’s Alaska. It’s just right over the border. It is from Alaska that we send those out to make sure that an eye is being kept on this very powerful nation, Russia, because they are right there, they are right next to our state.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:33 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,576,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
well she was right. small town America is the real America.
So is a place with a population of say 30,000 fake? 10,000? 50,000? 1 million?

Old 10-21-2008, 05:36 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,781,119 times
Rather strange...her voter base is in Anchorage and the Mat-Valley in Alaska....(a good part of the populace in both of those areas hasn't lived in Alaska much beyond five years or so, by the way).

Old 10-21-2008, 05:37 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,835,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
well she was right. small town America is the real America.

if she was right she wouldnt be apologizing lol

Old 10-21-2008, 05:50 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,962,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
No, what she did is called "backpedaling". Read her quote again...for those of us who can comprehend it, it's very clear what she meant, she said it in plain words.
You are reading between the lines in order to come to a conclusion that is fitting of your position.

She said:

Quote:
"We believe that the best of America is not all in Washington, D.C. We believe" -- here the audience interrupted Palin with applause and cheers -- "We believe that the best of America is in these small towns that we get to visit, and in these wonderful little pockets of what I call the real America, being here with all of you hard working very patriotic, um, very, um, pro-America areas of this great nation.

This is where we find the kindness and the goodness and the courage of everyday Americans. Those who are running our factories and teaching our kids and growing our food and are fighting our wars for us. Those who are protecting us in uniform. Those who are protecting the virtues of freedom.
She is talking about the backbone of America, the people who do the every day jobs that make our country work. The people who put food on your table, the people who serve you, grow your food, assemble your goodies, the people who do all of the average work that so many "city folk" take for granted. These ARE the real Americans, without them you would fade away. Without them, there is no foundation for people to excel in their jobs of elevated status. They represent the core of America, the existence of hard work and every day and the history to which people worked to lead themselves to better lives.

As I said, people misunderstood it and she apoligized that people took it in a negative way. Though, it isn't a suprise to see those who are so out of touch with the foundations of America getting angry and resentful about this comment, they think the world spins around them, that they are the core of all that exists.

If the hard working core of this country decided to let those so "intelligent" and so "evolved" people provide for themselves, they would be extincnt in less than a year. It is nothing more than arrogance and pure stupidity that spits on the common worker and the foundation of this society that provides for the spoiled brats of today. So smug, so above themselves that they look down to the core of america as mere peasents that serve the lords of this country. It is disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections