Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 07:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,875,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Hot Air » Blog Archive » Palin: If I had said what Biden said, the media would have destroyed me

She didn't apologize per say, she clarified. She said if anybody took it that way, she apologized
That is political-speak for "I'm sorry I said that", as in, "I wish I hadn't said that".

Old 10-21-2008, 08:51 PM

20,480 posts, read 12,404,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
And big city America is the real America and everything in between and we are blessed to have some of the most wonderful folks walking the earth in all these places. Stand beside her and guide her, all of her.
I live in the big city. Too many folk around here running around applogizing for America.

Its real alright. more times than not, real scary.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:53 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,984,873 times
Quote:
That is political-speak for "I'm sorry I said that", as in, "I wish I hadn't said that".
Did you listen to the tape?

Old 10-21-2008, 10:55 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,614,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
You understand what you want to understand formed into the way that is fitting of your position. Nothing more, nothing less.
And you don't? You have a habit of accusing people of sophistic rhetoric, while somehow absenting yourself from the possibility that you are doing the same.

What allows for the conflicting readings of Palin's words is her problematic use of syllogisms and enthymemes. And she wasn't talking singularly about people who grow food. Everyone else she listed also exists in the cities, hence the problematic syllogisms.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:51 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,967,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
That "Real America" comment caught up with her. This will cost McCain another point or two in the polls.
"You're not real" seems to be the new strategy. In the past few days I've been told that I'm not a real American, I'm not a real Virginian, and I'm not a real Christian. I think the theory is that if they keep trying to pretend I'm not real, that will mean my vote isn't real.

LOL, guess what--in 13 days you will find out my vote is very real, indeed.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:51 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,096,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
/sigh

Without them you are nothing. Though without you, they can go on. They can provide for themselves and their families. They are the ones that provide, they are the foundations.
Are you so sure about that? I imagine if the factories in the cities that do things like, I don't know, make steel suddenly disappeared, your precious farmers have to go back to farming with animals (which doesn't bode well for much beyond subsistence farming). We all depend on each other, and there are no parts of America that are 'real' compared to other parts. I find the notion appalling, and it is a personal affront to my family's long urban history in this country.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:53 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,729,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
well she was right. small town America is the real America.
Gee, I have always heard that the US has become a predominately urban society. Wouldn't that make urban America the "real" America?

Old 10-22-2008, 06:55 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,962,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
Exactly, my position is that all Americans are real and that small towns, big towns and cities are all wonderful and we are an equal people no matter our money, faith or choice of home.
You miss the point. This isn't a contest of "who is better", it is a realization of the core foundations to which made this country great. The small town person who aspired to create a business which grew and eventually became that multi-billion dollar corporation. It is the the beginning to which exemplifies the struggle and perseverance of those who achieved to build and create.

The cities we see were nothing more than small towns that progressed, and developed and succeeded in many new accomplishments. It is the small towns, the traditional American perseverance and go to that she is speaking of.

It has nothing to do with city people not being American and everything to do with recognizing the roots to which that was all possible.

It is the arrogant and the elite who discount these people. They shove off their roots as if they are an embarrassment, a disgrace. Look at the arrogant people here on this board that call these small town people idiots, backwards, and often worthless. Yet without them, without these small town people, these small town starts, nothing would be possible, they are the core of America, they are the roots of its success.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:56 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,083,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
"You're not real" seems to be the new strategy. In the past few days I've been told that I'm not a real American, I'm not a real Virginian, and I'm not a real Christian. I think the theory is that if they keep trying to pretend I'm not real, that will mean my vote isn't real.

LOL, guess what--in 13 days you will find out my vote is very real, indeed.
Hey Normie, I am in real virginia! Come on down, Obama fever going on down here!

Old 10-22-2008, 06:59 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,962,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
No, that is putting words in peoples mouths, summarizing your own intent. Which by the way is done all to often on this board by people to claim that you said something you did not. You are putting words in her mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections