Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 07:49 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,962,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
Again, she said what she said, and if you want to fill in the blanks that is your right.
Fill in the blanks is what I am having to do with your out of context claims. You take what someone says and put ... as you see fit, skip relevant paragraphs that place it in context so you can manipulate it to your liking.

Context, look it up.

And again, this is what she said IN CONTEXT.

Quote:
"We believe that the best of America is not all in Washington, D.C. We believe" -- here the audience interrupted Palin with applause and cheers -- "We believe that the best of America is in these small towns that we get to visit, and in these wonderful little pockets of what I call the real America, being here with all of you hard working very patriotic, um, very, um, pro-America areas of this great nation.

This is where we find the kindness and the goodness and the courage of everyday Americans. Those who are running our factories and teaching our kids and growing our food and are fighting our wars for us. Those who are protecting us in uniform. Those who are protecting the virtues of freedom.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:58 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,083,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Fill in the blanks is what I am having to do with your out of context claims. You take what someone says and put ... as you see fit, skip relevant paragraphs that place it in context so you can manipulate it to your liking.

Context, look it up.

And again, this is what she said IN CONTEXT.
I have read it many times. She says she finds goodness and industry in the real America, the pro American areas. To say this presupposes there are actually not real and anti American areas of the country. What are you missing here? If you have pro American areas there have to be anti American areas or there is no such thing as an area that is distinctly pro American.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:11 AM

20,484 posts, read 12,404,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Gee, I have always heard that the US has become a predominately urban society. Wouldn't that make urban America the "real" America?
No that would just make Urban America collection centers for America hating me first, whiners looking for the gubbermint to take care of them from cradle to grave, because they dont want to do it themselves.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:13 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,678,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
No that would just make Urban America collection centers for America hating me first, whiners looking for the gubbermint to take care of them from cradle to grave, because they dont want to do it themselves.
Can you write anything except Rush Limbaugh boilerplate?

Old 10-22-2008, 08:15 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,861,363 times
see what I mean by distorting words? were you trained directly by moveon there lil miss huffington? I am sure you love living in the cesspool that is new jersey, but it's not for everyone. a simpler time was a time when the government stayed out of your life. you can put your radical psychotic left wing insanity spin on it, but it doesn't change what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Ahh yes, a simpler time in American history, where everyone spoke English and English only........where the coloreds knew their place and lived in their own segregated societies, surfacing only when "America" needed them as maids, sexual playthings, farm labor and cannon fodder........when you could go to a good ol' down-home Saturday night lynching and get some great lemonade and have spiritual camaraderie with your fellows and watch bemused while the manly men among you committed unspeakable atrocities..........ah, yes, a simpler time in America............my God, do I miss that............

Old 10-22-2008, 08:16 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,980,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
well she was right. small town America is the real America.
That is absolutely absurd.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:17 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,861,363 times
so your idea of progress is what? supporting a 1775 type society with an oppressive overtaxing government? that's not progress. are you suggesting that americans want to live in difficult times? WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
No they were not. People heard them loud and clear. You even said it yourself with this sentence, "it represents a simpler time in american history." I don't think the average American wants to revert back to simpler times. We want progress. And Palin does not represent progress.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:20 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,678,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
see what I mean by distorting words? were you trained directly by moveon there lil miss huffington? I am sure you love living in the cesspool that is new jersey, but it's not for everyone. a simpler time was a time when the government stayed out of your life. you can put your radical psychotic left wing insanity spin on it, but it doesn't change what it is.
You can run all the attacks on me you want. Just get the facts right, 'neck. You should know something about cesspools; your mind is a festering one. I notice you didn't, or couldn't refute what I said; a large number of people in the South (where you live, I believe), or in the North (where I live) would love to see us all revert to the fascist, backward rural America that I satirized in that post.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:24 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,962,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
I have read it many times. She says she finds goodness and industry in the real America, the pro American areas. To say this presupposes there are actually not real and anti American areas of the country. What are you missing here? If you have pro American areas there have to be anti American areas or there is no such thing as an area that is distinctly pro American.
I am not "Pro-football", that is I am not involved in it, go to games, watch it on TV, support the events, or root for any team. Am I Anti-Football or just... indifferent, unconcerned, not interested? Did you miss that relationship or was it intentional in order to take the position that you did?

Old 10-22-2008, 08:24 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,149,510 times
The truth is that there are several "real Americas." One of the things I like about this nation is that we have the freedom to be mobile and live in the "real America" that matches our needs and philosophies. But, to imply one part of America is more "real" than another bothers me.

Last edited by JamesAbilene; 10-22-2008 at 08:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections