Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 05:39 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,420,470 times

Advertisements

You should check out this Obama coalition that angered me so much I almost drove to the campaign headquarters just 15 mins from my house!

my.barackobama.com/kids
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

35,016 posts, read 39,164,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Terrorist symathizer? Could be. Quote from his book:

From Audacity of Hope:'I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction.
"The actual quote from the book is from page 261 and is as follows: 'Of course, not all my conversations in immigrant communities follow this easy pattern. In the wake of 9/11, my meetings with Arab and Pakistani Americans, for example, have a more urgent quality, for the stories of detentions and FBI questioning and hard stares from neighbors have shaken their sense of security and belonging. They have been reminded that the history of immigration in this country has a dark underbelly; they need specific reassurances that their citizenship really means something, that America has learned the right lessons from the Japanese internments during World War II, and that I will stand with them should the political winds shift in an ugly direction.'"

11,346 posts, read 16,711,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
Wonder what he means by this?
IMO...when there's a decision to be made between "us" and "them", he stands with them.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:40 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,442,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
"The actual quote from the book is from page 261 and is as follows: 'Of course, not all my conversations in immigrant communities follow this easy pattern. In the wake of 9/11, my meetings with Arab and Pakistani Americans, for example, have a more urgent quality, for the stories of detentions and FBI questioning and hard stares from neighbors have shaken their sense of security and belonging. They have been reminded that the history of immigration in this country has a dark underbelly; they need specific reassurances that their citizenship really means something, that America has learned the right lessons from the Japanese internments during World War II, and that I will stand with them should the political winds shift in an ugly direction.'"
Thanks for sharing this.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:41 AM

340 posts, read 1,446,188 times
Wow! Are these poll predictions getting to you or what.Time to turn on some old Mayberry reruns - be happy,don't worry.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
IMO...when there's a decision to be made between "us" and "them", he stands with them.
No. Thanks to delusianne posting the entire quote and not just pieces of a quote that people love to do to discredit him, I believe he means that he stands with those Pakistan and Arab Americans so they can feel secure in their citizenship.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:45 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,164,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
If you're referring to the quote from the book, he's talking about US citizens.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:48 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,854 times
People vote for, or against, candidates for a variety of reasons. We'd like to think that each voter takes the time and makes the commitment to educate themselves on how each candidate stands on the issues that are of concern to the voter, but really, how often does that happen, regardless of age group?

Some people vote for a candidate strictly because of party affiliation.

For some people, it's the label associated with the candidate - liberal, moderate (a dying breed to be sure), and conservative.

For some people, it's the candidate's background - education, military service, prior public service, marital status & history, etc.

For some people, it's religion - is the candidate a Catholic? a Mormon? a Muslim? a Jew?

For some people, it's the candidate's demeanor - does the candidate seem angry much of the time, or not; is the candidate open, and friendly, and optimistic, or not.

For some people, it's the candidate's overall theme of his campaign - does the candidate try to play the blame game, and emphasis the negative regarding his opponent rather than the positive about himself? does the candidate offer a positive, hopeful message, or not?

Young people tend to be more idealistic than their parents. Is this a bad thing? And if this idealism leads them to one candidate far more than another, is this a bad thing?

We'd like to think that all voters take a good long look at the candidates and make their decision based solely on the issues and what their heads tell them is the right way to go ... but there's absolutely nothing wrong with following what your heart tells you is the right way to go. Don't we tell our children that in non-political areas ... to follow their hearts?

"Young people are idiots" is itself an idiotic statement. If by "idiot" you mean anyone who does not agree with you, or who arrives at a decision in a manner not acceptable to you, or who has the gall to follow their hearts, then at any time there are many, many idiots in this world, and age has nothing to do with it.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:49 AM

438 posts, read 503,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
Wonder what he means by this?
It is pulled out of context which naturally distorts what he actually said.

Quote:
[SIZE=3]Misleading e-mail: [/SIZE][SIZE=3]From Audacity of Hope: "I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction."[/SIZE][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE][SIZE=3]Actual quote from "The Audacity of Hope" [pg. 261]: [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Of course, not all my conversations in immigrant communities follow this easy pattern. In the wake of 9/11, my meetings with Arab and Pakistani Americans, for example, have a more urgent quality, for the stories of detentions and FBI questioning and hard stares from neighbors have shaken their sense of security and belonging. They have been reminded that the history of immigration in this country has a dark underbelly; they need specific assurances that their citizenship really means something, that America has learned the right lessons from the Japanese internments during World War II, and that I will stand with them should the political winds shift in an ugly direction. [/SIZE]
FactCheck.org: Did Obama write that he would "stand with the Muslims" and that he nurses a "pervasive sense of grievance and animosity" toward whites?
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 11-03-2008, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacNW transplant View Post
Yes, I understand what he meant now. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections