Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2008, 07:51 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
No matter who wins the election, the real winners this year are the youth of our country.
Bull!

thanks to the financial events of the past few months, Boomers are using the Millenials' future earning power to prop up the Boomers home prices, and stave off the impending default on all the money they borrowed!!

"the youth" are the ones who're going to have to pay for these trillions of homeowner/investment bank bailouts, and liquidity injections. This crap isn't gonna be free.

So tell me again about how we're winning in '08? The only benefit I see is that Obama wants to raise Payroll Taxes on incomes over $250k. That's going to help millenials a ton, by forcing the boomers to start paying off their own Social Security liabilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 07:52 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,947,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
IMO, thanks to the abundance of information available online and the general excitement about this election, young people are better informed about the issues than ever. I've had some amazing conversations with 20-somethings this year.

The high school students who check groceries at the local store talk about policies and statutes. They follow the latest results from the polls like I used to follow baseball scores--they're often better informed than their parents.

No matter who wins the election, the real winners this year are the youth of our country. It's thrilling to see the excitement about politics, and especially thrilling to see so many people supporting their positions by going online and doing a little research.
Some maybe, but many no. The internet is filled with garbage. In some issues, it takes a person who is willing to put a lot of time and effort into careful reading, following sources and tracking down the originating source. Though many do not take the time to do this and simply use the first source they are given as an absolute.

The youth are very impressionable and easily mislead. They often act on emotion rather than logic. Many will often side with the crowd even when they may see that the facts don't line up, yet most are not interested in the facts as much as they are just being a part of the crowds view.

While some youths are diligent and interested in the facts, many are content being told the "facts" and let loose to blab their uninformed opinions. So while you may think the internet is a tool used by the youth, I all too often see the youth used as a tool by the internet.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:53 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,773,186 times
Yes yes, Obama supporters are like sheep. Obama is a terrorist. Blah blah blah.

BORING!

Doesn't anyone have anything original to say?

Old 11-03-2008, 07:53 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,201,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
Two issues that keep recurring from McCain supporters...what Obama plans to do will destroy everything (not what has actually been done), even though everything IS on the verge of destruction at the moment having had a Republican president the past 8 years and Republican congress 6 out of the past 8...oh I know, it was ALL the fault of Fannie Freddie Democrats the past two years, and before the time of Bush Jr., and never corrollated with Reagan or Bush Sr.'s policies...please. If Democrats tried this deflective logic I would be laughing at them as well and wondering how with all of their opportunities when they had power they somehow failed to apparently enact or do ANYTHING... Those poor, impotent Republicans. Talk about an ineffective party...

And second, what McCain/Palin continues to fail to do from a campaign strategy standpoint is share what they will do...if you hadn't noticed, things are not presently working. Rather than try to convince everybody what Obama/Biden will do is horrible, why not talk in specifics about what they might do differently...and tax breaks for corporations isn't resonating given the current economic malaise. What a lousy campaign they have run. His strategists should be shot.

Well...I never said I was a McCain supporter...I only said I don't like Obama. I am Liberatarian, and am voting to reflect that. I have no respect for people who vote democrat/republican just because they don't like the other party. The democrat and republican parties in America are both broken, and we will continue to have problems until we stop voting for the lesser evil and consider other candidates.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:57 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,139,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I am so sick of all these young people following Obama like blind sheep. Many of them don't even know what he stands for, but are out for Obama because its the "thing to do". They need to look beyond the gay issue and their anger at the religious right, and think about issues like taxes, jobs, energy, and national security that will affect them. Obama's plan will raise taxes on people making as low as $42,000/yr, kill jobs as small businesses will go under, he is against clean coal and nuclear, increase the already monstrous national budget, and is weak on national security almost to the point he could be considered a terrorist sympathizer. Yet nearly 8 out of 10 young people are lining up like sheep to vote for him. This isn't elementary school where everyone is a winner or little league soccer where everybody gets the same trophy so nobody's "feelings are hurt". This is the real world, and this generation needs to step into it.
I would never say that these kids today are idiots. Didn't we all do things our parent were against, and if you say "NO" then your lying through your teeth. Kids today need to think for themselves, thats what makes America so great. And as for the sheep comment. What about all thoughs that Voted for the true IDIOT we have in office right now. I've gotten so sick of all the Bible thumpers, "to include some of my own family members", sitting there trying to tell me, "Bush is a God fearing man". Ah Bull Butter!!!!!!! If anything, right now he should be fearing God for all the young lives he has destroyed and people he has sent to thier graves. And this is all for the Dirty Oil War that he started so he and his Saudi buddies can rake in the money. Or should I say his "SAUDI BROTHERS". If you look at the pictures of him and the Saudi Prince, they're walking hand-n-hand. And the only way the Saudi's do that, is if they see you as a family member, BROTHERS. Heck they should, they bailed his sorry butt out of three failing oil businesses back in the "70".

I'm an Obama fan and I'm no sheep, so if these kids today see things that you to blind to, like thier future, then so be it. Kids go out and vote for who YOU think is the right person to do the job. Be it Obama or McCain, its your choice, go for it. And don't let some old plow horse tell you otherwise. Oh, and a plow horse will stay in the same furrow forever unless you show him a differant diection.

If you want to get a good look at your future with this dirty oil war kids, watch the HBO special called "Section 60, The Saddest Acre". And if some of the adults don't feel it, then let them send thier kids of seas to become "Two Legged Bullet Stoppers".

Now I will get off my soapbox.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:58 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
what do you mean the 'hope he represents'? What policies do you agree with? Emotions shouldn't have any place in voting. Look at his record, look at his policies. It scares me so much when I hear people voting simply because they 'feel' like a candidate is the best. If you want to vote for Obama because you agree with the facts behind his actions, then great. If you are voting based on a feeling, please rethink what you are doing.
Emotion always plays a role when people are making choices. You can read all the policy and position papers you want, but in the end, people are going to vote for the candidate they best identify with, the candidate they believe is going to follow through on all the campaign promises. Or against they candidate that will follow through on his/her campaign promises. At some point, all the answers to all the questions, all the research, all the speeches and commentary are all going to boil down to a person's gut instinct of who's the best candidate for that person. That's the strength and weakness of democracy, it makes politics a very personal choice.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:58 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,182,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I am so sick of all these young people following Obama like blind sheep.
Instead of bashing the inspirational democrat ticket you should be disgusted with the GOP ticket.

Someone I feel that if Mickey Mouse were running on the GOP ticket you would still post this dribble.

ANYONE but Obama, right??

Old 11-03-2008, 07:59 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,690,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Then again, I forgot that you believe that it is outdated. Maybe in the new country you want it would read:
a well regulated government militia...shall be infringed

You may not be far off. Obama wants to establish a civilian security force, "similar to the National Guard". Perhaps with the intent to eventually dissolve the latter? We'll end up with a 'snitch force'. Now there's something for the conspiracy theorists to ponder. Sometimes truth IS stranger than fiction.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:02 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,201,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Bull!

thanks to the financial events of the past few months, Boomers are using the Millenials' future earning power to prop up the Boomers home prices, and stave off the impending default on all the money they borrowed!!

"the youth" are going to have to pay for these trillions of homeowner/investment bank bailouts, and liquidity injections. This crap isn't gonna be free, y'all realize this, right?
There is no way I am winning in this election. I have accepted the fact that I will never see a dime from social security. I consider that lost money. I worked hard through college, got a good job. I just graduated in May, and the only real reason I started to work for the company I did is that they pay for graduate school. I am going to get a masters degree at night, and I am in the process of trying to start a web based company. It pisses me off that if I succeed at all of this and actually make the money that will follow, I will be punished for this effort! All of my friends from high school still don't have jobs, are living at home and working in restaurants. If Obama's plans come into effect, my hard work will pay for their laziness. How exactly will I benefit? Why can't the government do its job, protect my basic rights, and leave me alone. The government needs to stop trying to help us and let us help ourselves. If you don't like your salary, work to get a better job. Make something of your own life. THAT is the American dream. NOT relying on the government to fix everything for you.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:03 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,363,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
that is no more tiring than thinking that a candidate, barack obama, who plans to expand operations into afghanistan and pakistan will end the war...... the democrats had 2 years in power and did nothing to end the war!

Uh, WHAT does Iraq have to do with Afghanistan?

Maybe that's the problem, the war mongers are apparently unable to tell the difference between countries and the reasons for or against war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections