Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2008, 07:42 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times

Advertisements

I myself am kinda tired of the old farts who blindly follow a fear-mongering misleader into a war of choice that's costing $10B a month for little/no return and pat themselves on their spineless backsides for doing so.

Last edited by burdell; 11-03-2008 at 07:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 07:44 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,955,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
Hmmm..............the reasons given by many why they are voting for McCain........... Anti-Gays, My-God and My-Guns.
Quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
Quote:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
Then again, I forgot that you believe that it is outdated. Maybe in the new country you want it would read:

Quote:
Congress shall make laws disrespecting any religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances if it is of a view point not held by the Government.
Quote:
A well regulated government Militia, being necessary to secure a State from objection, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall be infringed.

15,402 posts, read 28,954,632 times
IMO, thanks to the abundance of information available online and the general excitement about this election, young people are better informed about the issues than ever. I've had some amazing conversations with 20-somethings this year.

The high school students who check groceries at the local store talk about policies and statutes. They follow the latest results from the polls like I used to follow baseball scores--they're often better informed than their parents.

No matter who wins the election, the real winners this year are the youth of our country. It's thrilling to see the excitement about politics, and especially thrilling to see so many people supporting their positions by going online and doing a little research.

1,302 posts, read 3,307,279 times
Default Funny...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I agree. What you just described is wrong. I think we all have a moral and social obligation to help for the greater good. I also think the government should be nowhere NEAR this issue. A moral obligation and a legal requirement are VERY different things. It is great to say we should work for the greater good, but realitically people will take advantage of a system like that. People should care that Grandma isn't eating, but the government shouldn't legally require people to give her food. Government policy is not a substitute for personal and social responsibility. It doesn't seem Obama agrees with this idea. I am only 22, but it seems very naive to me that people think we won't see big problems with Obama's policies in a year or so (especially with the lack of balance a democratic congress AND democratic president will show). Just because something sounds good in a speech doesn't mean it will work in real life, and Obama gives great speeches.
Two issues that keep recurring from McCain supporters...what Obama plans to do will destroy everything (not what has actually been done), even though everything IS on the verge of destruction at the moment having had a Republican president the past 8 years and Republican congress 6 out of the past 8...oh I know, it was ALL the fault of Fannie Freddie Democrats the past two years, and before the time of Bush Jr., and never corrollated with Reagan or Bush Sr.'s policies...please. If Democrats tried this deflective logic I would be laughing at them as well and wondering how with all of their opportunities when they had power they somehow failed to apparently enact or do ANYTHING... Those poor, impotent Republicans. Talk about an ineffective party...

And second, what McCain/Palin continues to fail to do from a campaign strategy standpoint is share what they will do...if you hadn't noticed, things are not presently working. Rather than try to convince everybody what Obama/Biden will do is horrible, why not talk in specifics about what they might do differently...and tax breaks for corporations isn't resonating given the current economic malaise. What a lousy campaign they have run. His strategists should be shot.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:45 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,631,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
Hmmm..............the reasons given by many why they are voting for McCain........... Anti-Gays, My-God and My-Guns.

I'm gay and I voted for McCain. Of course I voted because I think he can handle the MOST important issues, like the ECONOMY & NATIONAL SECURITY a helluva lot better than Obama. IMO gay marriage and religion are the LEAST of this countries worries.

WAKE UP PEOPLE!!

Old 11-03-2008, 07:45 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,050,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I am so sick of all these young people following Obama like blind sheep. Many of them don't even know what he stands for, but are out for Obama because its the "thing to do". They need to look beyond the gay issue and their anger at the religious right, and think about issues like taxes, jobs, energy, and national security that will affect them. Obama's plan will raise taxes on people making as low as $42,000/yr, kill jobs as small businesses will go under, he is against clean coal and nuclear, increase the already monstrous national budget, and is weak on national security almost to the point he could be considered a terrorist sympathizer. Yet nearly 8 out of 10 young people are lining up like sheep to vote for him. This isn't elementary school where everyone is a winner or little league soccer where everybody gets the same trophy so nobody's "feelings are hurt". This is the real world, and this generation needs to step into it.
Thank you this thread has gone along way in helping Senator Obama to secure the youth vote. Way to insult them and make them feel comfortable distancing themselves from your candidate.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:47 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,050,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
I'm gay and I voted for McCain. Of course I voted because I think he can handle the MOST important issues, like the ECONOMY & NATIONAL SECURITY a helluva lot better than Obama. IMO gay marriage and religion are the LEAST of this countries worries.

WAKE UP PEOPLE!!
The millions of Obama supporters are very comfortable in feeling we are awoken, alert and attentive. We are Bots watch us roar and we are Bots watch him soar. The countdown has begun. Rocket Ships McCain and Obama will be taking off in their race to the moon.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:47 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,918,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I myself am kinda tired of the old farts who blindly follow a fear-mongering misleader into a war of choice the's costing $10B a month for little/no return and pat themselves on their spineless backsides for doing so.

that is no more tiring than thinking that a candidate, barack obama, who plans to expand operations into afghanistan and pakistan will end the war...... the democrats had 2 years in power and did nothing to end the war!

Old 11-03-2008, 07:50 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I am so sick of all these young people following Obama like blind sheep. Many of them don't even know what he stands for, but are out for Obama because its the "thing to do". They need to look beyond the gay issue and their anger at the religious right, and think about issues like taxes, jobs, energy, and national security that will affect them. Obama's plan will raise taxes on people making as low as $42,000/yr, kill jobs as small businesses will go under, he is against clean coal and nuclear, increase the already monstrous national budget, and is weak on national security almost to the point he could be considered a terrorist sympathizer. Yet nearly 8 out of 10 young people are lining up like sheep to vote for him. This isn't elementary school where everyone is a winner or little league soccer where everybody gets the same trophy so nobody's "feelings are hurt". This is the real world, and this generation needs to step into it.
I've run into this a bit as well, talking to friends of my son and nephew and hearing some interviews with younger people. They had/have no idea why they're voting for Obama other than it's the popular thing to do and some band they listen to is supporting him or it's just cool.
All I can and have said to them is the need to look past all of that, read and listen to what each canidate stands for and see if it matches up with what you believe.
The one big thing I noticed is they don't seem to get the connection between government programs,taxes and them. They can't seem to equate that giving or providing things to people will cost money that comes from peoples paychecks including theirs. While they want help people and provide for everyone so they're happy they just don't understand costs and that we can/should only do so much. I also think most don't really understand communist governments. I only say that because I've heard comments like "oh that's pretty cool that everyone owns everything" and "everybody has the same and shares".....
I guess they think there's some money tree out there that the government just goes and picks when needed I don't know...

Old 11-03-2008, 07:51 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
The OP should realize that many of those "young idiots" are getting shot and dying everyday in the name of freedom. I respect our young men and women and they have every right to choose a candidate of their choice.

BTW, I voted early and most of the people in line where seniors, (weekday, early, most people at work), and the talk in the line was that 75% were voting for Obama. I am also a senior and I am for Obama. SENIORS FOR OBAMA!!!
Then you should be outraged that military absentee ballots are not being counted in Virginia due to a simple technicality. But, that's OT. Of course the voting process is not tainted.

As for "seniors for Obama", I do believe they will regret it when their social security checks get taxed, when taxes on dividends and interest increase, when the home mortgage deduction goes away, and when they get taxed on what the government table sets as the value of their home - even if it is paid off - they will get inputed income to list on their tax return. If people are paying a mortgage, the government will determine what their payment should be (what homes in that area would rent for), and if their payment is lower than that, the difference will be considered income to them. This will hit a lot of younger people too.

See this and other plans the dems have, but aren't talking about:
boortz.com: More Boortz (http://boortz.com/more/demsecrets.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections