Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 06:06 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,935,934 times

Advertisements

I love how the OP sites homosexuality in his post when that's barely a blip on this election as both candidates essentially are the same on their stance. I just don't know why his/her obsession with gays (actually, I can pretty much guess LOL).

The young people voting have weighed the issues and are voting in what they feel is their best interest. The ONLY reason you've decided they are "idiots" is because they disagree with you. You seem to enjoy lumping people into groups and labelling them, espcially if they are different than you. There's a word for that, now what was it again?.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 06:08 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,205,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I am so sick of all these young people following Obama like blind sheep. Many of them don't even know what he stands for, but are out for Obama because its the "thing to do". They need to look beyond the gay issue and their anger at the religious right, and think about issues like taxes, jobs, energy, and national security that will affect them. Obama's plan will raise taxes on people making as low as $42,000/yr, kill jobs as small businesses will go under, he is against clean coal and nuclear, increase the already monstrous national budget, and is weak on national security almost to the point he could be considered a terrorist sympathizer. Yet nearly 8 out of 10 young people are lining up like sheep to vote for him. This isn't elementary school where everyone is a winner or little league soccer where everybody gets the same trophy so nobody's "feelings are hurt". This is the real world, and this generation needs to step into it.

These "young people" are paying BIG TIME into a social security system that threatens to go defunct before they even get to draw on it. So get off your high horse and realize that EVERYONE who is a citizen of this country and is allowed to vote has the right and privilege to do so. By the way, I'm not one of these "young people", however, how DARE you belittle young people who are actually getting involved with the system; a system that has been scr*wing Americans for the last 8 years. We do NOT want more of the same, or even worse if that religious fanatic, power-crazed witch Palin ever gets her catty claws near the oval office. No thank you.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:13 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,008,155 times
Quote:
I am so sick of all these young people following Obama like blind sheep. Many of them don't even know what he stands for, but are out for Obama because its the "thing to do". They need to look beyond the gay issue and their anger at the religious right, and think about issues like taxes, jobs, energy, and national security that will affect them. Obama's plan will raise taxes on people making as low as $42,000/yr, kill jobs as small businesses will go under, he is against clean coal and nuclear, increase the already monstrous national budget, and is weak on national security almost to the point he could be considered a terrorist sympathizer. Yet nearly 8 out of 10 young people are lining up like sheep to vote for him. This isn't elementary school where everyone is a winner or little league soccer where everybody gets the same trophy so nobody's "feelings are hurt". This is the real world, and this generation needs to step into it.
You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

You state that Obama will raise taxes on people making as little as $42,000/year. First, that's false. Obama will not raise taxes on anyone making under $200,000. Second, even if your statement about Obama raising taxes on the middle class were true, how many young people 18-24 are making $42,000/year? Few, if any. Many college students are making no more than $15,000 or $20,000/year, if anything at all.

Next, let's address your FALSE statement concerning Obama and small businesses going under. How many young people own small businesses? Few, if any.

Obama is NOT against clean coal. When he talks about his energy policy, he states our need to invest in clean coal technology. He is a fervent supporter of clean coal and other forms of alternative energy.

Lastly, Obama will NOT monstrously increase our national budget, and Obama is NOT a terrorist sympathizer. It is truly ridiculous that some people are STILL on Obama's brief encounter with Ayers. They served on a board together. That's it. I don't know how that somehow leads to Obama being a sympathizer of terrorists.

Instead of being angry at young people who support Obama, you should be angry at yourself for believing that lies that you have posted. It says a lot that our young people can see through the lies and the other crap that Republicans are unsuccessfully slinging in the air.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:13 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
I don't have a problem with them voting knowing who/what they are voting for. But many of them are voting Obama because they were coerced/brainwashed by Obama supporters when they really don't have a clue what it all means. I believe in letting young people come into themselves before they start making decisions about things like politics. When I was 18-19 it was all a confusing mess to me; I really didn't understand what was going on or know what *I* thought about the issues yet.

In 2004 my oldest daughter was 19 and when I asked if she was voting she said no, because she didn't feel like she knew enough about the candidates or what anything meant to make an informed decision, and if she did vote she'd be voting for one candidate or the other just based on who we (her parents) or her friends were voting for, and she didn't think she should vote based on what someone else thinks. I agree.

But Obama supporters are shameless in coercing anyone they can into voting for Obama.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:18 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,793,866 times
I had a long discussion with my son about the destructive policies of the past 8 years and explained to him how important it is both domestically and internationally to change the course of our nation in my view.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:18 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,008,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
But Obama supporters are shameless in coercing anyone they can into voting for Obama.
Coerce? Really? It seems that the primary coersion is coming from the Republicans with a bunch of wild, unfounded conspiracy theories that have done little to help them in the polls.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:21 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,876,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfurman View Post
I think a lot of young people tend to lean democratic b/c they have an idealistic view of doing things "for the greater good". Not only that, they haven't received a "real" paycheck yet, and have yet to experience the horror of seeing what you earn vs. what you take home.
That is just not true. I certainly haven't seen less taxes taken out under Bush, then again, I don't make a million dollars nor do I own an oil company. Maybe you do? What is so wrong with doing things for the greater good exactly? Why are Republicans so damn selfish? Not all of course, I do not mean to lump everyone together like that. I would love to live in a country where people cared if Grandma isn't eating because she paid for her medication, and has no money left for food. I knew somebody like that, and it absolutely broke my heart. Proudest woman you would have ever known, never complained and worked two jobs her entire life. Yet she never had two nickels to rub together. THAT, "MY FRIEND", IS WRONG.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:24 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
OP - bchris02 - Can I assume you are a young person? You certainly sound like one. continuing the Bushonomics will only make our future worse than it has to be.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:25 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,911,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
These "young people" are paying BIG TIME into a social security system that threatens to go defunct before they even get to draw on it. So get off your high horse and realize that EVERYONE who is a citizen of this country and is allowed to vote has the right and privilege to do so. By the way, I'm not one of these "young people", however, how DARE you belittle young people who are actually getting involved with the system; a system that has been scr*wing Americans for the last 8 years. We do NOT want more of the same, or even worse if that religious fanatic, power-crazed witch Palin ever gets her catty claws near the oval office. No thank you.
young people are being told by some old people that obama is about change. all they have to do is look at the federal budget for the facts, which show that obama has increased spending and the democrats have increased spending without a way to fund it! those young people will be paying a long time for all of that democratic spending and the future democratic spending if obama gets in, including his 850 BILLION of their dollars to address global poverty. the young people are going to have a much harder road than the old people if this spending continues!!! people did not want nationalized health care before because they understood the costs involved. younger people, who have not had to pay taxes very long, like everybody to benefit, but they won't be liking it so much when they are stuck paying for it!

Old 11-03-2008, 06:31 AM

289 posts, read 362,048 times
Quote:
Are you that person at McCain's rally that stated Obama is an Arab? Or are you just another brainwashed McCain Supporter. The correct information is easy to find you know. Raising Tax on people making as low as 42,000 is an out right lie that McCain spun and you bought into hook, line and sinker. You should do yourself a favor and become educated on the Facts. I know you know how to use a computer so get with it and do some fact checking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections